Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D5000

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

It had me going for a while until I saw the top shot. Ooh its more at the consumer than prosumer. Its way tooo narrow. The twisty fries .. sorry screen, could find some great uses, however I'd be more afraid of it getting snapped off, so for this and its physical size it s thumbs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Lol, it's because of the size that I'm interested at all (and apparently it's going to be bigger than the D40/60 range :( )

Who wants to carry a D3x with 70-200 attached up a mountain? (Plenty of people it seems ;) ) but I prefer small and light and best IQ possible from that combo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

quilmore wrote: »
    ISO 3200, D-movie (whatever that is), twisty screen, HDMI, replaces the d40

Where does it say, that the D5000 is a replacement for the D40? The D40 sold for 350-400€ incl kit lens, the D5000 is around 750€ body only.

kinda like the twisty screen, would be handy to have for macro and landscape shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

well, the word should have been "displaces"
    I can't find it now, sorry, but it was said the D40 was phasing out from production, probably nikon still list it to shift the existing stock

yes, it's a consumer camera
    initial pricing is a bit high
    Body Only RRP: £719.99 / €878.00
    D5000 + 18-55 VR kit: £799.99 / €972.00
    Sales start date: 1st May 2009
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5000-Digital-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B0025KV8Y0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239695820&sr=8-4

it has a gps connector, the flash can be use as commander, face priority focusing, 12.3 mp, microphone, sensor cleaning and 100k shutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I can't find it now, sorry, but it was said the D40 was phasing out from production, probably nikon still list it to shift the existing stock

Yeah its definately in the same league as the D40/D60. Same deal with non AFS/AFI lenses. No AF motor in the body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

It had me going for a while until I saw the top shot. Ooh its more at the consumer than prosumer. Its way tooo narrow. The twisty fries .. sorry screen, could find some great uses, however I'd be more afraid of it getting snapped off, so for this and its physical size it s thumbs down.

Was gonna start a thread on this.....

Size matters for everything if a camera is getting heavy use. I changed from D60 to D80 for (not just the motor) the extra grip, and the separate exposure controls.

It is crippling having to handle a tiny camera body at length - I recently got a battery grip and the difference is amazing. Small bodies eliminate the simple comforts of careful composition and adjustment. I cant believe the difference since I got the grip and started holding portrait by default for a change.

Small bodies bad!

Nice specs though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

yes, it's a consumer camera
    initial pricing is a bit high
    Body Only RRP: £719.99 / €878.00
    D5000 + 18-55 VR kit: £799.99 / €972.00
    Sales start date: 1st May 2009
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5000-Digital-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B0025KV8Y0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239695820&sr=8-4

it has a gps connector, the flash can be use as commander, face priority focusing, 12.3 mp, microphone, sensor cleaning and 100k shutter

That is an absolutely crazy price. You can get a D90 body for €850 in Bermingham's and presumably cheaper if you search around the net. So for less money, you can get virtually the same specifications and an in-body focus motor. What are Nikon smoking? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Judge wrote: »
    That is an absolutely crazy price. You can get a D90 body for €850 in Bermingham's and presumably cheaper if you search around the net. So for less money, you can get virtually the same specifications and an in-body focus motor. What are Nikon smoking? :confused:

According to dpreview the official rrps are: (Body Only)

D60
    - £400
    D5000 - £720
    D90 - £850

I don't get this camera though, what's the point of it? It's basically a D60 with added live view, a stupid rotating screen and a few million more pixels squashed in for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Or in another way - it's basically a D90 with a flip out screen, smaller body and some features missing.

I think it's a pass for me - not really a true D40/60 replacement (too big!) - it's around the size of a D50 I heard.

Small bodies good! ( ;) efla)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

I'm not altogether sure that it will be a replacement for the D90, I would suspect it is more of a replacement of the D60

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1788/overview.html

It doesn't appear to have the same compatibility with other Nikon lenses that the D90 has as it doesn't have the built in servo motor needed to drive the autofocus of Type G or D autofocus lenses. http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1788/specifications.html#20
    Nikon list the D5000 on their website as a consumer camera with the 18-55 VR is priced at less then a grand whereas the D90 is available for close tot he same price. I wouldn't consider it to be a particularly attractive buy considering the D90 spec and price and the flip screen will be the first thing to go when it gets caught on something although I can see the advantage for macro or low angle stuff.

David

• Advertisement
Advertisement