Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa to Work and Live in the US?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anything had really changed since Obama came with power with regards to Visa's. I had done a bit of research awhile back and found it was very hard to get a visa to work and live in the US, has anything changed? I have always played with the idea of moving there, it might ne a nice experience for awhile. Has anything changed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was just wondering if anything had really changed since Obama came with power with regards to Visa's. I had done a bit of research awhile back and found it was very hard to get a visa to work and live in the US, has anything changed? I have always played with the idea of moving there, it might ne a nice experience for awhile. Has anything changed?

Thanks!

Not being a smart arse or anything but what did you expect Obama to do in the space of 3 months on immigration in a country with rising unemployment ?

You can apply for the DV green card lottery each year and see how you get on.
    If you have a university education you could try to get sponsorship (h1 visa) from a company

You could just try the illegal route, but your work would be limited to construction/bar/restaurant for men or /bar/restaurant/child minding for girls and you would not have the same 'liberties' as a legal immigrant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Not being a smart arse or anything but what did you expect Obama to do in the space of 3 months on immigration in a country with rising unemployment ?

You can apply for the DV green card lottery each year and see how you get on.
    If you have a university education you could try to get sponsorship (h1 visa) from a company

You could just try the illegal route, but your work would be limited to construction/bar/restaurant for men or /bar/restaurant/child minding for girls and you would not have the same 'liberties' as a legal immigrant

Absolutely nothing :) I just wondered was all. I am lucky to have a job here in Ireland at the moment, so I will stick it out here. Do you think it will change? I suppose the global recession will put the freeze on it :/

Oh, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Well... I know this entity is hiring and where all the new jobs will be. :D

http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've looked into this myself,

Isn't it extremely tough to get employer sponsorship, something to do with them needing to find people closer to home?

Advertisement