Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner's Trots

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Cycle:
    32km, slow pace, woke up to hailstones. Lashing rain all day.
    Looking forward to getting back to an Irish summer!

Swim 1250m
    Bit caught for time before work so did a 1250 straight swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Great buggy run!
    When you coming back to Ireland? Is this a permanent move?

Today
    Run- 11km total. Timed 10k running easy enough. Was surprised to do in 46:40. Felt I was running much easier than Tuesday but no wind today so probably expains it.
    Duathlon on Sunday coming up for me. The weather looks like being a shocker though, but fingers crossed it isn't too bad.

Thanks Ladytri! Heading back temporarily this time for 6 months or so. I'll be getting in about 2 weeks before the HOTW I think, so enough time to get in a little training back home before it. Still too much unfinished business and things to do over this way to make the move permanent yet though!

Yesterday- did nothing. Woohoo!
    Today- Swim
    100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200- total 2400m; trying to get my stroke right. Not too successful...

Did a duathlon today. They have local ones on over the winter- we're a little spoiled as it's held only 5k away, so can cycle there to warm up.

Today-4k/24k/4k (first run slightly longer than 4k, and second slightly shorter). Weather was cold and clear with a 10-15k wind, pretty perfect really. Completely flat course which I've done before so no surprise hills!
    Opening run in 16:24 pushed it a little too hard on the first 2k, then got a rhythm going
    Cycle- 41:49 again found it hard to get a steady rhythm for the first 6k or so. Lost a shoe going into transition so had to turn around to get that.
    Closing run 15:22- it was about 200m shorter than opening run and no transition, but still fairly happy with the time. The legs were wrecked for the first k as usual. I'm never sure if I'm actually running slower or not, but it felt particularly hard today.
    Overall happy with the day, need to work on transitioning still, and taking in more fluid on the bike for the longer events.

Overall- 4krun/24k cycle/4k run- 1:13:35

Next stop Hell of the West :D

This week:
    2 cycle- 32/32
    2 run- 10/11
    2 swim- 1250/2400
    duathlon- 4/24/4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done Mr Creosote. Held it together nicely for the second run. Roll on Kilkee eh:D

Thanks MCOS. Looking forward to Kilkee alright. Anybody know much about the cycle route- hills/surface etc?

Today- usual 32k cycle. Nearly got hit. Adrenaline got me home. Grrr!

11km hilly run-60 minutes exactly.
    Took it fairly slowly after the weekend and planning a long slow run on Thursday. Lovely day for a run.
    Bit of stretching afterwards for the first time in 2 weeks :D.

Today: Cycle-32k

Swim- 250m warm up, 1000m straight, 4x100 fast, 100 cooldown
    Total-1750m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good luck with the log and tahnks for the comments on mine. We may both be doing our first marathons in Dublin in October but you seem to be light years ahead of me :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks menoscemo
    It's all an unknown for me too. Never run anything like 26/42 myself so not sure how the legs will hold up. Last time I did a half marathon the only thing I remember from the finish line is that there's no way I'd be able to do another 21k...

Long run (for me!) today- 20.5km, with the buggy, totally flat, 1hr44
    Felt good, very nice day for a run. But too fast for a long run really- I find it hard to pace sometimes and must slow down to prevent an injury, especially for the longer runs before the DCM in Sept/Oct.

Quiet day today so said I'd fire up some more info about myself.
    Age-30, started running about 1998, but only for training at that time. I only started entering events in 2005.
    I did one or two a year until 2007, and a fair bit of trailrunning that year (not quite the same as Irish style mountain running).

I got into triathlon in 07 as well, and apart from a few 10ks triathlons (sprint initially and mostly olympics now) and duathlons are what I've been doing since. I've been in NZ for 5 years now and triathlon is pretty big over here- it's considered a "real" sport and has very regular events, school events and so on. The standards are pretty high overall, relatively better than for athletics/running I think. I've got a few friends who do events in Ireland too and it's been good to see the sport growing so fast in Ireland.

It'll be the first time back in a few years for me now so getting pumped about the summer! And already really looking forward to the marathon.

My times I posted a while back.
    Injuries- since 2005 plantar fasciitis x2, knee-patellofemoral pain, and swimmer's shoulder. The leg ones got better with a little rest. The shoulder was terrible- settled after 4 months of exercising, rest and changing my stroke. Strangely enough it was in the winter so didn't affect any events. I'm always afraid of it flaring up again!

Goals for this year I mentioned above. Still no time target for the DCM, I'm mainly looking to enjoy it, times can come for future marathons if any.
    Next year maybe a half ironman.
    Oh well back to work...:pac:

Planned a longer cycle before work today, but woke to a howling gale.
    Struggled in the usual way. Saw a guy who'd been blown off his bike! I actually had to get off to walk a bit- it was pretty ridiculous, can't remember the last time that happened. Even walking was almost impossible for that one stretch.
    Got in, checked the met service and was gusting 50 knots apparently!
    Might check it before I leave in future :pac:

In total, cycle- 32 very windy kms

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Jesus- sounds mental!
    I've a bit of an irrational fear of falling off the bike, you know when its really windy and you can feel the fine line between being upright and the back wheel skidding out from underneath ye! I had a bad fall once and its put the fear of God into me, I was on the road going round a corner, bike went one way (out into the middle of the road) I went the other (into the ditch, after skidding along my on my hip on the tarmac)
    So mind yourself ye mad yoke!

Thanks Ladytri- going to use a quieter route in future I think!

Today- Cycle- 30km

Swim -100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200/100, stroke on the way up, trying for speed on the way down. Total- 2500m

Had a day off today. Did an orienteering 3 hour event with the baby. Her first event! Map reading left a little to be desired though. No running but tired and sore afterwards!

For the week:
    2 runs- 11/20.5
    4 cycles- 32/32/32/30
    2 swims- 1750/2500

Cycle today- 32km
    Feeling it in the legs from yesterday. Who would have though walking was so hard?!

Run today- alternating slow/fast- fast was about than 10k pace, slow was gentle jog- 1/2/1/2/1/2.5/1- total 10.5k; 52:05. Very windy again.

In other exciting news, I bought a watch, so can now keep a better eye on splits.

Cycle- 32km easy

Swim- 250 warm up; then a 50/100/150/200/250/200/150 pyramid. 3 hard 100s to finish, and a warm down; total- 1700m

Run- 12k, fairly easy but with buggy, 1:03

WHERE IS MY WATCH?! Still hasn't arrived

• Advertisement

Cycle to work- 16km

Swim beforehand- 150m warm-up, then 8x200m attempting to keep stroke ok and a decent pace. 250m warmdown. Total-2000m

Still no watch! I'm going to have to look at the time every 5 minutes when it arrives to make up for it...

Long run day today- 24.3k, flat 14k at start, then a hilly last 10k about 250-300m ascent, mostly road, 3k trail. Took one gel. Felt rotten at about 12km but got better. Must start carrying water on these.
    Total-2:03

Then a cycle back home- 16km.

And my watch arrived :pac: What time is it I hear you ask- why it's 2:42...

Yesterday- nothing at all. Hardly got off the couch

Today- cycle 45km, wet, cold, windy. Not very nice. My feet were numb at the end. Cultivating a nice set of chilblains at the moment.

Last week totals:
    3 run: 10.5/12/24
    2 cycle: 32/32 + 32 more
    2 swim: 1700/2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hey there, is Kilkee your first event back on these shores? I borrowed your idea of weekly totals. I often look back through the log but they are a good idea to put the week in perspectives at a glance.

MCOS wrote: »
    Hey there, is Kilkee your first event back on these shores? I borrowed your idea of weekly totals. I often look back through the log but they are a good idea to put the week in perspectives at a glance.

Kilkee is the first one alright. Flying out in 2 weeks so have about 2 weeks before it to get over the jet-lag. Not sure what to expect with it and don't know too much about the course at the moment- I'd say standards will be pretty high so probably looking at a midtable finish. More Coventry city than Man U. I'm doing the Little Bo Peep, and might try to squeeze in one more olympic depending on whether Gaelforce is entered or not, and how the marathon training is going.

Run- 12km total
    1k warm-up 7 mins, then 10k tempo in 44, 1km jog 6min
    Total-57mins.

Happy enough with that, felt good for most of the tempo run. Mostly with the wind at my back, but running with a buggy and a few little hills thrown in. Last 2k were tough though.

Cycle-33km, half easy, 2x8km hard intervals
    Swim- 100m warm up, then a 50/100/150/200/250/300/250/200/150/100/50 pyramid. Total- 1900m

Run- 15.5km, 74 mins
    Bit of an inbetween run. Had hoped to do some faster intervals but didn't feel I had it in me today so just extended out the run a little. Too short for a long run, and too slow for a fast run. Oh well, a nice day though :pac:

Cycle-50km, no accurate time, must get computer fixed. Good to get out on the bike, no wind today. Prob about 1hr 40-45 all up.

Anybody reading this doing Triathy- best of luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Long run today-23km flat, footpath. 1hr55min; 5min/km exactly- felt like a comfortable pace today. An easier run than last week though without the hills. All the runs this week with a buggy. Looking forward to having grandparents/babysitters to call on soon!

Advertisement