Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Runner's Trots

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Monday- easy 20km cycle, 45mins

Tuesday- 17.5-18km fartlek, 15 min warm up, 55 fartlek, and 10 warm down. Total 1hr 20. Enjoyable training run, I'm finding the fartleks a bit easier the last couple of weeks.

Wednesday: easy run- 8.5k; 40mins

Thursday- Fartlek; 15km; 1hr 8mins. Another early morning run and tough enough going. By the end I was feeling fine, but first 30mins were hard going.

Friday- 7.5km easy run, 37 mins

Saturday- cycle 35 km; slow start, faster middle bit about 20km, then warm down; total 1 hr 10mins

Sunday- Run, hillrun 1hr50; no accurate distance but I'd say about 20-22km. A good tough rolling run, I'd say no more than 200m at a time was anyway flat.

Monday- rest day, unplanned. An easier week this week though so not too worried.

Tuesday- 1km warm-up, 12k tempo, 2k warm down. total 15km in 1hr 5 mins.
    Cycle- 30km very easy.

Wed- 8km easy; 40mins
    Thurs- 15.5km, fartlek, 1hr08; usual morning run, felt not too good at the start, better by the end

• Advertisement

Friday- 8km easy run; 40mins
    Saturday- Long run; 33km approx; 2hrs 50mins; mostly forest trails. Went well, second of 3 20 milers, and felt a good bit better than the last one. Took one gel at about halfway.
    Sunday-off
    Monday- 7km easy, 35mins

One more long run ahead and then a two week taper.

Tuesday- 16.5km run; 1 hr 17, 20 mins warm-up then rest at marathon pace.
    Dark and wet!

Did an easy 9km run today in 48 mins.
    Went over on the left ankle towards the end. It was one of those nasty twists that feels really bad at the start. I sat down, worked through my collection of curses, realised it wasn't too bad and slowly finished off the run. Bit of ice today and an easier day than planned tomorrow.

It put it into perspective how easy it is for something to go wrong at this stage though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Did an easy 9km run today in 48 mins.
    Went over on the left ankle towards the end. It was one of those nasty twists that feels really bad at the start. I sat down, worked through my collection of curses, realised it wasn't too bad and slowly finished off the run. Bit of ice today and an easier day than planned tomorrow.

It put it into perspective how easy it is for something to go wrong at this stage though...

Mind the ankle, if its still niggly tomorrow get intio the pool for a swim or take another day off. The work is done now so just focus on minding yourself

Thanks MCOS. Feeling it a bit this evening so I'd expect it to be worse in the morning. So a rest day tomorrow at least, maybe a bit on the bike to keep loose.

Bit annoyed- it could have been worse though! I thought i knew every tree root on that track as well- obviously not...

• Advertisement

Not much chance to post last few days.

Thursday- took it off to rest the ankle. It was much better by Friday but I kept some strapping on for the morning run.

Friday- 15km fartlek, 1hr10. Road run.

Saturday- had a few friends around, so we went on a 100k cycle for a change. Lovely spin with a few testing little climbs thrown in on the way (Ballaghbeama from the south was pretty sharp!)

Sunday- Tempo run 14km in 1 hour 4 mins. Felt the cycle in the legs

Monday- rest day

Tuesday- 32km slow run, 2 hrs 40. Mostly forest trail, some road. Great morning for a run. The ankle was fine again. That's the last long run done. Taper time. Woohoo!

Wednesday- unplanned rest day. Not too worried as I'd only planned 6-7k easy run.

Thursday- fartlek, 14km, 1hr. No major problems; still felt the long run in the legs today.

Friday- 7km, easy, 33mins

Saturday- 5km tempo run, 20mins

Just starting to get worried now about every niggle and ache.

Sunday- 22km slow run, 1hr 50, about 17k just slower than planned marathon pace and then a very easy last 5k.
    No problems. Took today off, the ankle is still a bit sore from the other week but should be fine for the big day (assuming no more twists).

Getting close now.

Tuesday- 7.5km, generally PMP with a couple of faster 1k intervals.
    Wednesday-off
    Thursday- 8km, easy run

That's pretty much it until Monday now, I'll get in a shortish 3-5k on Saturday evening. Not been to Dublin for 5 years so will be interesting to get back there.

I'm going to update my aims for the marathon as well. First is of course to finish and enjoy it. I had been planning a "death or glory" run to push for the 3 hours but that's out of reach at the moment I'd say.

So-all going well- I think I'll aim for 22min 5k splits, and with losing a bit in the first mile and drink stations hopefully should get in in around 3:10 or so. So much could change on the day though!

Back down from Dublin yesterday and time to lash up a report on the marathon. It was my first marathon and had a great time at the event, happy with my time and a few things I'd change.

The taper went so-so- last few runs were fine but I felt completely whacked all week. I had a bit of a cold in the background the whole time which I was worried would take hold but thankfully didn't. It certainly didn't affect me on Monday anyway. I never got the big surge of energy during the week though.

Dublin was great- we had a nice place to stay around the corner from the start and even better, within hobbling distance of the finish. Couldn't have asked for better weather on the day either, especially after last week.

I got to the start at half eight, and was about 10-15 rows back from the front at that stage. It filled up a bit towards nine but was nice to soak up the atmosphere. The main aim was to avoid a fast start, but sure enough when the gun went I bolted off way too quick- first mile in 6:20 (was it short??), two miles in 13 minutes and managed to pull it back a bit then but kept up just under 7 minute miles right through the phoenix park. By mile 10 I knew I'd overcooked it a bit and took my first gel here. Through halfway in 1:32 and I was already suffering so I consciously slowed to 7:30 minute miles.

Mile 15-21 were the worst. I was suffering and being overtaken a lot. The quads were in major pain already and I knew there was still a good way to go. The support on the way was fantastic though and made a huge difference. Got a few more gels in at the drinks stations- from 15 on I walked each of these to get a gel and water down. From 21 on actually got a bit easier- I was on 8min mile(5min ks) and knew sub-3:10 was out, but also that the finish was in sight. The hamstrings were always threatening a full-out cramp but never did thankfully. Up over the canal, down Pierce St where a guy collapsed right in front of me- myself and a spectator helped him up. He didn't look the best but the other person helped him along. Down in front of Trinity-what a buzz, and what a feeling getting over the line. Finished in 3:16 which was well under the 3:30 but a bit outside the 3:10 I'd revised it up to. Not too worry- I was happy with the time, from 15 miles on just finishing was a struggle.

Overall a great experience, I'm already looking forward to another one!
    Best thing was the support all the way around- I had thought it would be much quieter.

Things to change might be looking at the taper and maybe long runs too close to the event (32k less than 2 weeks before), as well as increasing the mileage a little.

That's it for the log as well- I feel a need for a good few easy weeks now. We're heading back down south in the New Year for a while so the next block of training will have to be aiming for mid-end of 2010. Back to the tris first anyway. Must get back swimming!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Great Stuff MrCreosote. Excellent Marathon time and thanks for keeping the log. All the best and talk to you again soon. MCOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

3.16 is a great result , well done , few weeks off a definitely well deserved

Advertisement