Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AZBOX /Elite / HD / Premium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

installer wrote: »
    I have a premium plus hd and cant get youtube working does it work on yours?
    and can you view live feeds in 4:2:2
    thanks.

I responded to your youtube question over on satpimps but maybe you haven't seen it yet.

The youtube button on the remote will not work on enigma2 images. Download the mytube plugin and you can launch it from the plugin menu. It works well on openrsi 3.3.1. The version I downloaded is mytube_1.0-20120929-r10

I don't have my motorised dish working at the moment but when it was working last year I could get 4.2.2 feeds. Sometimes the signal levels for the feeds are low, especially if the weather is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

Good man thanks for that, No I havent seen the reply on satpimps as of yet, its hard to keep track of all the forums, especially when I dont get any notifications from that site... I'l try download the mytube plugin and see how I get on, I did try download the youtube plugin but it failed evey time.
    thanks again... ;)

Good man thanks for that, No I havent seen the reply on satpimps as of yet, its hard to keep track of all the forums, especially when I dont get any notifications from that site... I'l try download the mytube plugin and see how I get on, I did try download the youtube plugin but it failed evey time.
    thanks again... ;)

No my tube plugin in downloads :(

Just Google 'mytube_1.0-20120929-r10.ipk' and download the file to your laptop.

Use dcc to upload mytube to the azbox in the/tmp folder.

Then go into telnet in dcc and type 'opkg install /tmp/*.ipk'
    No my tube plugin in downloads :(

R

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    Just Google 'mytube_1.0-20120929-r10.ipk' and download the file to your laptop.

Use dcc to upload mytube to the azbox in the/tmp folder.

Then go into telnet in dcc and type 'opkg install /tmp/*.ipk'

R

Will do thanks a mil

• Advertisement

no joy im afraid, im thinking at this point to change to original firmware, i only bought the box to watch GAA feeds and access youtube but at the moment I cant do either, does anyone know if its safe to put original AZbox firmware on a clone receiver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

I decided to try Openspa image on my premium hd (was using openrsi). It is working well and has a very nice skin but for some reason shows up on my network as BM750 which is what my vu+ duo used to show as.

Also noticed that AZup no longer seems to recognise box even though it is in rescue mode. (It does connect initially to ip)

Has anybody else tried Openspa and come across this?

Greenpiece wrote: »
    I decided to try Openspa image on my premium hd (was using openrsi). It is working well and has a very nice skin but for some reason shows up on my network as BM750 which is what my vu+ duo used to show as.

Also noticed that AZup no longer seems to recognise box even though it is in rescue mode. (It does connect initially to ip)

Has anybody else tried Openspa and come across this?

Does that mean that you can't change back to openrsi if you want to?

Also what is the response time when changing channels etc compared to openrsi.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

@tapfit, yes it looked like I could not change back to openrsi as azup was saying connection failed even though box was in rescue mode and initial connection to box worked.

I had squeeky bum moment as it looked like I would not be able to install another image, however kept trying today and eventually it worked so have gone back to openrsi again.

Openspa is nice but not as fast as openrsi when changing channels and is a bit more clunky but seems to have some nicer plugins already installed.

Greenpiece wrote: »
    @tapfit, yes it looked like I could not change back to openrsi as azup was saying connection failed even though box was in rescue mode and initial connection to box worked.

I had squeeky bum moment as it looked like I would not be able to install another image, however kept trying today and eventually it worked so have gone back to openrsi again.

Openspa is nice but not as fast as openrsi when changing channels and is a bit more clunky but seems to have some nicer plugins already installed.

Yeah. I tried one of the openspa images a while back and it looked good but for everyday use it was too slow.

I'm using openrsi from august last year with the 3.3.1 kernel on 3 premium pluses. It's about as stable as I have found. I've crossepg, cooltv guide, ondemand and tsmedia in the plugins which work ok.

I have had problems with the timer causing enigma to crash so the way I get around it is to set my phone and record using the webif if I'm not at home.

I'd say this is about as good as it will get for the old azboxes as all development seems to be stopped. It's still a lot better than the original firmware.

There is a user on another forum (Cobra1324 or something like that) who is still doing images for the original dm800. A friend of mine has tried them and is very happy with them. I suppose the dm800 had a more stable firmware and drivers to start with which makes development easier.

Fair play to the programmers who brought enigma to the azbox, mine would probably be on ebay a couple of years ago if it wasn't for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am using the openATV 4.0 Beta image this last few weeks. I have the AzBox looped through from my Dr HD receiver so I only use it for feeds. Zapping is fast and everything seems to work OK for TV channels, that's as much as I can say. I only discovered something recently which other people probably know. In order to find out the correct permutations on E2 of System (DVB or DVB-S2), FEC, Modulation and Pilot On/Off for a feed go to Setup, Service Searching and then Sat Finder. Where the permutation can be fielded through in double quick time. I was previously using Manual Scan and scanning each combination to find the right one.

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/nightly/index.php?open=azboxhd

I replaced the original DOM a few days ago with a 4 GB one similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-4GB-Flash-Module-vertical/dp/B00138NFDW/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

I got it from the UK a couple of years back but never got round to fitting it. I was prepared for the box to be bricked but the image loaded up as normal and everything is OK. It doesn't seem to speed things up on the box though so I must investigate is there something I need to do to configure it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

I have a prem + hd box, does anyone know if it is possible to disable the onboard wifi & use n rated usb dongle.
    Ta

I am using the openATV 4.0 Beta image this last few weeks. I have the AzBox looped through from my Dr HD receiver so I only use it for feeds. Zapping is fast and everything seems to work OK for TV channels, that's as much as I can say. I only discovered something recently which other people probably know. In order to find out the correct permutations on E2 of System (DVB or DVB-S2), FEC, Modulation and Pilot On/Off for a feed go to Setup, Service Searching and then Sat Finder. Where the permutation can be fielded through in double quick time. I was previously using Manual Scan and scanning each combination to find the right one.

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/nightly/index.php?open=azboxhd

I replaced the original DOM a few days ago with a 4 GB one similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-4GB-Flash-Module-vertical/dp/B00138NFDW/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

I got it from the UK a couple of years back but never got round to fitting it. I was prepared for the box to be bricked but the image loaded up as normal and everything is OK. It doesn't seem to speed things up on the box though so I must investigate is there something I need to do to configure it.

I installed openatv 4.1 on two of my premium pluses and its the best image I've ever had on them. Everything I want works: timeshift, ondemand, tsmedia, mytube, c-cam, cooltvguide and webif for remote recording. The guide button on the remote even brings up cooltvguide.

I don't need the card reader as I use an old dm500 as a lan server and I have the az plugged directly into the router so I don't need wifi.

There is a 1gb dom in one of the boxes that came with it when I bought it from germany and the openatv image went onto it with no problems and there was plenty of space for all the above plugins.

The other box has its original 256mb dom and I had a bit of a struggle getting it going. The image installed perfectly but I had trouble getting the plugins to install as I kept running out of space. Eventually what I did was to create a plugin directory on a 2gb usb stick that I was using for crossepg. I then manually transferred each of the plugin directories from the extensions directory on the dom to the usb stick and put a symlink (like a shortcut in windows as far as I know) for each plugin that I had moved. I moved crossepg, ondemand, cooltvguide, auto bouquets maker, auto timer, enhanced movie center, my metrix lite and RSI config (which I installed to allow me turn off the fan in standby). All the plugins work perfectly as if they were on the dom and I have a little space left on the dom.

I did try to install tsmedia but there wasn't enough space even after moving the ones listed above. I was going to transfer more stuff over but as it is not the main box I use I didn't bother for the moment. I did try to move the Openwebif plugin but every time I tried this it would show as an error so I just put it back in the extensions directory.

I got two 1gb doms back about 3 years ago with the intension of using them in the az's. I did try them but got no success. I could install the image no problem but when the box would reboot it would hang at different stages of the boot, sometimes the boot logo would come up and sometimes it wouldn't even get that far.

Is there any way to test these doms through my laptop? I have a usb to ide adapter that I've used to get stuff off old hard drives and they show up on it ok but I would have the power connector connected to them when I do this whereas when they are in the az there is no power going to them. The original az dom doesn't have the power connector connected but maybe the bigger one needs power?

Its great to eventually have an image which does 90% of the things that the original azbox promised. Fair play to all the people who put in the hours of work to get it to this stage, its a pity the original manufacturer didn't spend some time trying to do this. I've three of the premium pluses so I just have one more to change from openrsi to openatv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

I installed openatv 4.1 on two of my premium pluses and its the best image I've ever had on them. Everything I want works: timeshift, ondemand, tsmedia, mytube, c-cam, cooltvguide and webif for remote recording. The guide button on the remote even brings up cooltvguide.

I don't need the card reader as I use an old dm500 as a lan server and I have the az plugged directly into the router so I don't need wifi.

There is a 1gb dom in one of the boxes that came with it when I bought it from germany and the openatv image went onto it with no problems and there was plenty of space for all the above plugins.

I must say, after digging out my Azbox Premium there a week ago, I'm very tempted by your comments to finally move away from the official firmware.

Like you, I do not use the on board WiFi and probably don't need the card reader either (I suppose I could always go to Oscam if I needed it though).

I've a few very basic questions that I'd be very grateful if you could answer.
    My Premium has the 256MB DOM in it, I don't mind spending a few quid on a 1GB DOM if it'll make life a little easier but if I put the OpenATV on the 1GB DOM is it just a matter of switching DOM's to get back to the original firmware?

I read a tutorial ages ago and I think all I needed to do was use AZup to get the new firmware on the box, is it that simple, I remember a lot of posts with people having awful trouble installing firmware.

You said you now have 90% of what the AZBoxes promised, what's the 10%??

Thanks a lot.

I can confirm that Azup works. There is a bit of a discussion here about the 4.1 firmware, might be of interest.

http://www.opensat4all.com/forums/topic/7314-openatv-v-41-the-best-so-far-for-older-azbug-hd-models-it-seems/

gtg60 wrote: »
    I've a few very basic questions that I'd be very grateful if you could answer.
    My Premium has the 256MB DOM in it, I don't mind spending a few quid on a 1GB DOM if it'll make life a little easier but if I put the OpenATV on the 1GB DOM is it just a matter of switching DOM's to get back to the original firmware?

I read a tutorial ages ago and I think all I needed to do was use AZup to get the new firmware on the box, is it that simple, I remember a lot of posts with people having awful trouble installing firmware.

You said you now have 90% of what the AZBoxes promised, what's the 10%??

Thanks a lot.

As far as I know you won't be able to go back to the original firmware by just putting the original dom back in, you will have to use azup. If you are going to install openatv it will work on the 256 dom but there's not a lot of space for the plugins.

The 10% I was talking about is the card reader, wifi and the common interface.

As far as I know you won't be able to go back to the original firmware by just putting the original dom back in, you will have to use azup. If you are going to install openatv it will work on the 256 dom but there's not a lot of space for the plugins.

The 10% I was talking about is the card reader, wifi and the common interface.

Thanks, I've waited long enough to try it, no harm waiting another few days for the DOM.

What DOM do I need? Is it a 40pin or 44pin??

Thanks, I've waited long enough to try it, no harm waiting another few days for the DOM.

What DOM do I need? Is it a 40pin or 44pin??

40 pin.

ive unplugged my AzBox as i couldnt get anything to work on it, i'm tempted to try this openatv image but i'm not sure how to do it or what a dom is lol, i bought the box around 5 months ago and it had openrsi image installed but not sure what i need to do from there, could someone help me to get it going, i really want youtube access on the box and 4:2:2 gaa feeds lol..

i'm not sure how to do it or what a dom is

I'm just figuring this stuff out myself :D
    But the DOM (Disk On Module) is basically like the hard drive on a PC in that it stores the Operating System (Firmware) and applications(Plugins), on the standard AZBox it is 256MB and while this is enough for any of the OS's, if you want to use a lot of Plugins then it's probably a good idea to upgrade the DOM, I went with a 1GB one from here:
    http://www.memoryc.com/transcend/ts1gdom40v-s.html
    Funnily enough it was a few Euro cheaper when I ordered it.

As you already have an E2 Firmware installed I think it may be easier for you, here's a tutorial I found:
    http://www.openrsi.org/tutorials.html

That's all I can help you with as I won't be attempting it until my new DOM arrives plus I'll be going from the Original firmware so might be a bit different.

• Advertisement

Got the DOM today, installed the OpenAtv E2 without problems.

This is my first non official firmware on the AZBox and it really looks good, so much to learn though :rolleyes:

Just setting up the Channel List and EPG now, what are people's tips on recommended Plugins (that work and are worthwhile)?

Also, is there any other tips an E2 newbie should be aware of?

This is my first non official firmware on the AZBox and it really looks good, so much to learn though :rolleyes:

Just setting up the Channel List and EPG now, what are people's tips on recommended Plugins (that work and are worthwhile)?

The plugins I normally use and work well in openatv are ondemand for the rte/tv3 players, tsmedia for all sorts of streams, movies etc.

There is no cam included in this image but you can download one. I also copied the openrsi panel from the openrsi image as the openatv image doesn't give you the option to turn off the fan in standby.

I can post the link for the cam and upload the rsipanel later on after the match if you want.

Also download a copy of dcc (dreambox control centre) if you don't already have it. Dreamboxedit is another program that allows you to edit the channel bouquets.

I can post the link for the cam and upload the rsipanel later on after the match if you want.

Also download a copy of dcc (dreambox control centre) if you don't already have it. Dreamboxedit is another program that allows you to edit the channel bouquets.

Yeah, that'd be great, thanks.

Have DCC and Dreamboxedit and just getting to grips with them now.

Yeah, that'd be great, thanks.

Have DCC and Dreamboxedit and just getting to grips with them now.

I've uploaded the two files you need.

The softcam feed is an ipk file. Unzip the file and ftp it to the tmp directory on your azbox using dcc and then go to the telnet part of dcc and type "opkg install /tmp/*.ipk" without the quotes and it should install in less than a minute. You will now have a list of softcams available in the download plugin section.

To install the Rsi config just unzip the file and transfer the folder to the '/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions' directory on your azbox. When you reboot the box 'Rsi Configuration' should be in the settings menu second from the bottom just above software management. When you go into this menu you should be able to turn on and off the fan and leds on the front of the receiver. I normally set the fan to standby off as the box does get hot enough when watching tv.

I forgot to say in my earlier post to install CrossEpg and CoolTVGuide for an epg. In Crossepg I use 'xepgdb providers' and then use 'Rytec UK XMLTV' which gets the epg info from the web rather than from the dish. You can setup the guide button to open up CoolTVGuide so it only takes one press to bring up your tv guide. I use a usb key to store the CrossEpg info but if your dom is big enough you could store it there instead, you can change this in the CrossEPG settings.

One thing I found with CoolTVGuide was to open it on the channel bouquets rather than on a full satellite as when it tries to get the info for 900 odd channels on the satellite it can take a while and my box has crashed once or twice when I tried this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 13x025

Please, please, please...!
    I have searched the Internet through and through and there is not a word about how to install this openatv image if you're still on the Original FW from Opensat.
    Yes, I bought a new 512MB Transcend DOM also...
    Now what?
    Download the latest nightly from OpenATV... take out the old 256MB DOM, put the new one in, load up AZUp 2.2.7, and then...?

I consider myself as a tech savvy guy, so I understand everything about DHCP, IP addresses, and Local Area Networks... all I need is a nudge in the right direction...

There is a video tutorial here on how to go from original firmware to the OpenRSI version of E2. I had OpenRSI before I switched to openATV so I must have used that procedure but I really can't remember.

http://www.openrsi.org/tutorials.html

If that works it might be as well to install the latest OpenRSI firmware and then go to openATV but OpenRSI haven't updated theirs since Junuary.

http://www.openrsi.org/openrsi/

As they always say this is at your own risk. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 13x025

There is a video tutorial here on how to go from original firmware to the OpenRSI version of E2. I had OpenRSI before I switched to openATV so I must have used that procedure but I really can't remember.

www .openrsi .org/ tutorials .html

If that works it might be as well to install the latest OpenRSI firmware and then go to openATV but OpenRSI haven't updated theirs since Junuary.

www .openrsi .org/ openrsi/

As they always say this is at your own risk. Good luck.

Thanks for your quick response!

... well, yes, I stumbled upon that solution too, but it doesn't work anymore...

In the mean time (with a help from a guy called "zeini" on the OpenATV forum) I managed to install OpenATV 4.1
    I had to do an intermediate step I wasn't aware of: install some kind of E2 kernel image first from a USB stick, and after that, flash an E2 image of my choice with AZUp 2.2.7

OpenATV 4.1
    The good:
    - timeshifting works even on full HD channels!
    - recording works too
    - fast zapping
    - s*o*f*t* c*a*m*s are working OK

The bad:
    - extremely unstable Mediaplayer... (getting green screens, and AzBox rebooting...) jerky playback, even with lower resolution 720P .mkv files
    - unable to change the language on multi-language channels. If I press the yellow button, the menu pops up, then, by selecting another language... the screen and audio freezes... but - luckily - the receiver itself does not hang. I am able to continue, and zap to another channel. Then, audio (on the new channel) comes back...
    - Network Neighborhood sees my PC, but it can't detect my shared folders, hence I can not mount them.

There is Azup 2.2.8 now, I got it from here.

http://www.dvb-bg.eu/forums/topic/24101-azup-v228/

It is also on the Openrsi forum but you have to register to get it from there. The discussion there mentions that it creates bigger partitions on bigger DOM's and that seems to be working for me. Before this even though I have a 4 gb DOM I was getting green screens No space left on Device when I had too many plugins.

http://www.opensat4all.com/forums/topic/7344-open-atv-v41-for-older-azbox-hd-boxesagain/page-2

I went into that Novisif site mentioned in the discussion and there is another image there which I haven't heard of before, HDMU.

http://novisf.com/index.php/Thread/102104-Evo-izasao-nam-novi-HDMU-image-za-AzboxHD-1524/

OpenATV is now 4.2 version. 10 MB smaller than 4.1. I installed it and it is working OK for TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jolatacqce

Hi all,pulled out the AZ premium HD and flashed it with openATV 4.2.All went well,then installed softcam-feed-mipsel_1.0_all.zip
    as posted by Tapfit in #925.Went to 'downloadable plugins',opened softcams, this gave me the option of downloading any one of a number of cams. Now having downloaded a cam where do I then locate it? The answer is probably staring me in the face,but I cannot find it.I would appreciate a little help.As i thought! For anyone that does not know,after downloading your cccam,go to,menu-info panel and all will be revealed.Hope this helps

Advertisement