Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we ready for an influx of Irish people

Options
  • 14-04-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

More and more Irish people are planning to hit Oz/NZ. With the lack of work in Ireland are they all expecting to get full time work over here.

For the past few years both countries have had a nice few Irish around, but not full of Irish like the UK years ago and more recently America.

This side of the world wasn't hit as hard as the rest.

Are you guys seeing more Irish knocking on your doors looking for work or should we expect a big hit from May/June when the students finish up for the year.

Tourist trade in Auckland has slowed up in the past two weeks greatly. Cruise ships are only in about once a week and the chill is back in the night air. I've started to cut back some of my staff's shifts. The summer money isn't there anymore.

When the snow starts the south island tourist scene should pick up again for a while, but the north will stay poor until september or october.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm in Wellington at the mo (just here on hols) and heading down south for 2 weeks on THursday, so is it going to be relatively quiet down there? Heading back to Auckland then for my last few days so looking forward to some touristy things! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What is the general attitude like towards Irish people in NZ at the moment? When I was there I picked up little to no negativity towards me, I just got the odd diddley-i-potatoe comments in jest, but that was it mostly. Do you think with scarcity of jobs and a sharper rise in Irish has changed peoples attitudes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

WindSock wrote: »
    ]diddley-i-potatoe

I fúcking hate that diddly-die-potatoe thing. I get it on a daily basis.

It's said in fun though. Any kiwis I've come across love Irish people. It's seems to be one of the coolest nations to come from. It definitely gives you a certain cachet. Whether that'll change as hordes of Irish descend - who knows? There is a limit on WHVs though (about 2500 a year) and other visas are much harder to get so maybe as many people as wan to come over won't be able to. I'm certainly grateful I have my perm residency - they can't get rid of me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

There is a limit on WHVs though (about 2500 a year)

Is this still the case? Did someone not reply on an earlier thread saying this quota had been done away with?

And yes, just checked
    There are unlimited places available annually under this scheme to young citizens of Ireland for a stay of 12 months.

Irish NZ Visa Link

This is up from 2000 last October when I received mine

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Is this still the case? Did someone not reply on an earlier thread saying this quota had been done away with?

And yes, just checked

Irish NZ Visa Link

This is up from 2000 last October when I received mine

Interesting. Don't know how good an idea that was. Will def be expecting an influx now!

• Advertisement

Interesting. Don't know how good an idea that was. Will def be expecting an influx now!

Hard to know, I have yet to meet one Irish persion here in Australia that has any interest in NZ - a few want or have been for a holiday but the general consensus is Australia is better...I think the weather closer to Ireland might be a factor or I dont know really...

On the other hand, I have met alot of other people who's favourite thing about Australia is New Zealand ;)

FreeAnd.. wrote: »

On the other hand, I have met alot of other people who's favourite thing about Australia is New Zealand ;)

:D

Well, because my OH is a kiwi there was never a choice for me between Aus and NZ. Think I prefer NZ though - suits me better. I don't like it to be warm all the time!

There are 4 Irish people at my work (including myself) which is a fair amount out of about 80 people. There are also 4 people from the UK.

I think you're right though - most Irish people seem to head to Aus and just do a tour around NZ.

I don't like it to be warm all the time!

believe me, that is a myth orchestrated by the tourism board :)

Still, I cant wait to see a few mountains again - seriously lacking here (we'll in what I have seen so far anyway)...

I suppose its what you work in also, I have never had any dealings with any Irish with any of the companies I worked for here and to be honest I thought there would be far more here...In a few months travelling I only me a small handful, definitely the least of any nation...Still I havent spent much time in Sydney yet so can't really guage - their presence in Brisbane seems to have went up a bit but they seem to be going home as quick as they're getting here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, god, i hate the diddlee-i potato thing.

but nope, not noticed any bad feelings towards the irish at all, really. actually, i think my irishness helped me get my last job (my boss lived there and raised her family there).

was in getting my wetsuit mended today, and they'd to take my name, i had to spell it out, and one of the girls at the desk smiled and commented 'a good irish name', which i'd interpret as a good vibe towards the nationality...

and as for oz/nz? nz any day. i *could* live in melbourne, awesome city, but waaaaaayyy too far from the surf, and as for sydney. *shudders*

sydney is the place where i discovered cockroaches could fly, and im still quite traumatised by it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah you get a bit of friendly jibes but many kiwis are only 4th or 5th generation Irish immigrants anyway so the jokes on them :)

For me the choice between ozzie and nz is simple, ozzie may have better weather but the scenery and quality of life here is way better imo. Wellingtons scenery still blows my mind on a daily basis. Looking fowrad to a trip to Sydney in June though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

ChewChew wrote: »
    I'm in Wellington at the mo (just here on hols) and heading down south for 2 weeks on THursday, so is it going to be relatively quiet down there? Heading back to Auckland then for my last few days so looking forward to some touristy things! :D

Hi yea ChewChew,hope you are having a great time.Its a beautiful country.Hope you will post some photos when you get home.:)

Well I am having a great time on the kiwi experience, and the people are great! real nice and friendly. But right now I'm in a town called Westport. I mean WTF???

someone please tell me it gets better from here!!! PLEASE!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Westport???
    It DEFINITELY gets better from there!

Don't worry, I'm a kiwi in Ireland and am constantly reminded of the 1978 Munster victory!

esharknz wrote: »
    Westport???
    It DEFINITELY gets better from there!

Don't worry, I'm a kiwi in Ireland and am constantly reminded of the 1978 Munster victory!

I bloody hope so dude!! Westport is SH!T

Myself and my mate just got woken up to the sound of a guy in our dorm pee'in on her bags! not cool having to clean that up at this hour!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ha! My fella is from near Westport. It's a bit of a wierd place alright, plenty of characters :D The west coast is amazing. If you haven't done so ChewChew, head further north from Westport. The lush greenery is fantastic. Karamea is the furthest north you can drive to, we camped there one Christmas. It's the starting point for the Heaphy track (for tramping) which is 3 days to Nelson. If you don't plan to go the full 3 days, a couple of hours walking at a gentle pace will take you to Scotts beach. It is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

feck westport! you need to get yer ass down to chch already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I you think westport is bad wait until you hit greymouth...

MrCreosote wrote: »
    we stopped in Greymouth for a little while, I dont know why! (I'm on a kiwi expierience btw) and last night we stayed in Lake Mahinapua (I dont know why :rolleyes:) but now I am in Franz Josef for 2 nights. did my sky dive today, and amazing weather for it!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

MrCreosote wrote: »

Lol you beat me to it! Hokitika is pretty gloomy as well allthough the gorge is nice. I loved the drive from there down to Franz and on to Wanaka through the Haast pass, thats defo one of my favourite new zealand areas.

Chew congrats on the skydive...you wouldnt catch me jumping out of a perfectly serviceable plane :eek: Even though i fly myself most weekends i'd be way too scared to throw myself out of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

That west coast drive is fantastic alright. One year we were up on Haast pass- you know the way- forest right down to the road edge, one car every half an hour, and a guy on a unicycle came round the corner. Round the next one were about 30 more. They were doing a unicycle tour of the West coast. Bizarre!

Now if that's not off the original topic I don't know what is!

• Advertisement

pclancy wrote: »
    Chew congrats on the skydive...you wouldnt catch me jumping out of a perfectly serviceable plane :eek: Even though i fly myself most weekends i'd be way too scared to throw myself out of one.
    cheers ! it really was amazing! so we leave tomorrow and head to Lake Wanaka and do a night there then on to Queenstownf or a few nights! :D

The west coast really is lovely but its just far too quiet!

Peeps - this thread has gone way off topic. Take it to the off topic thread if you want to continue.

Can we get back to the discussion at hand? (i.e. will there be a big influx of Irish people and what effect will it have)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

watna wrote: »

Can we get back to the discussion at hand? (i.e. will there be a big influx of Irish people and what effect will it have)

Thanks

For Aus (whv), I reckon its going to be different than before (or certainly in my day). I reckon when most arrive and see there is no work it will either make them
    1)bring forward their big trip around Aus in the hope things pick up when they have done their travelling. if it hasnt picked up then head home (i.e not complete their full yr)
    2)hang on for a while looking for work and eat through their money quickly while waiting and therefore head home earlier

So while they may come in their droves I reckon for many their stay may be shorter than expected due to the lack of work. Certainly the number of sponsorships/on shore grants will be an awful lot fewer. Also I cant see too many (I said too many not all) having being forward thinking and started the off shore residency process afew yrs ago. many will just be starting in the last few months therefore wont be hitting Australia at least for another 2 yrs.

So all in all I see avery large , short term transient visitor hitting Australia but way fewer permanent moves (either thru perm residency/sponsorship etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Not for me im Bringing plenty of money over $40,000 and intend to stick it out even if i cant get work within a year, i intend to hookup with a Aussie girl and get married so i will be able to stay long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Not for me im Bringing plenty of money over $40,000 and intend to stick it out even if i cant get work within a year, i intend to hookup with a Aussie girl and get married so i will be able to stay long term.

awesome dude!!!1111!!!

i intend to hookup with a Aussie girl and get married so i will be able to stay long term.

ha...come back on after a year here and let us know if your sentiments are the same - the ratio of headwrecking aussie girls to sound ones is pretty high by international standards - you could be lucky though, and the sound ones are extra sound by international standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Try Broadmeadows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Indeed. She'll rob your $40,000 and leave you tied to a lamppost at Bunnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Try Broadmeadows

ROFL! Best advice ever. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Try Broadmeadows

Oh ok thanks for the advice, thats in Melbourne right? Must check it out.

Advertisement