Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Wireless speed problem

• 14-04-2009 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Ok bit of a strange one.

Client is vista connected to netgear router on UPC 20mb broadband.

Normally everything is fine, however now and then sometimes when i 1st log on to the pc and other times speed will drop of during the day to around 140kbps.

If i reboot it'll go back up to around 2000 kbps. I rebuilt the pc out of necessity a few weeks back but this problem didn't disappear unfortunately.

Tried the obvious ones like av / firewalls off when the problem occurs, and checked pings and signal strength etc.

Always the problem is solved by rebooting the pc. Other computeres on the network are completely fine, although they are xp clients.

I have also disabled power saving on the wireless card (dlink pci card).

I should also add the wireless connection is bridged with my xbox for connecting to xbox live. If i recall i may have already tried deleting the bridge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Login to your router and change the channel the wireless is broadcasting on, it sounds like that's your problem. Someone else near enough to you is also probably transmitting their wireless on the same channel or on another channel closeby but there's is too powerful and bleeding in to yours, causing you problems.

Have you gone into the Advanced setting in Vista's power management and made sure to absolutely turn off all power saving on your wireless card ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jtothesums

Hi Guys. Dunno if i'm in right thread here but I recently upgraded my internet provider to get more speed. When I run a speed test the max I'm getting is 4mb whereas one of my house mates is getting 11mb consistently.He thinks that it might be my wireless card is faulty or worn out? Could this be the case? Computer is 2.5 years old and uses a Dell Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI wireless card. They are not that expensive to replace (no more than €20 shipped from ebay in china) but I dont want to go messing around with the laptop if this might not fix it. Cn anyone offer any help?Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jtothesums wrote: »
    Hi Guys. Dunno if i'm in right thread here but I recently upgraded my internet provider to get more speed. When I run a speed test the max I'm getting is 4mb whereas one of my house mates is getting 11mb consistently.He thinks that it might be my wireless card is faulty or worn out? Could this be the case? Computer is 2.5 years old and uses a Dell Wireless 1370 802.11b/g Mini PCI wireless card. They are not that expensive to replace (no more than €20 shipped from ebay in china) but I dont want to go messing around with the laptop if this might not fix it. Cn anyone offer any help?Thanks in advance

this happens because xp isnt optimized properly for fast wireless internet connections, Ii assume you are using windows xp???

SOlution:
    download tcpic optimzer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

whack the slider over to the right , check the box for optimal settings,
    apply changes, reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

calex71 wrote: »
    this happens because xp isnt optimized properly for fast wireless internet connections, Ii assume you are using windows xp???

SOlution:
    download tcpic optimzer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

whack the slider over to the right , check the box for optimal settings,
    apply changes, reboot.

This sounds similar to a problem I've had since the upgrade by NTL to 20mb. If I directly download a file from the internet I only get about 500kb download speed but when using a download accelator I get full speed (over 2mb a second). Could this be the same issue? Note - it's not because it's a download accelator - I've tried using websites where test files are put up that don't restrict download speeds and the result is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jtothesums

I'm way out of my depth here to be able to help! I took calex71's advice and it worked a treat for me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement