Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Sofa removal

Options
  • 14-04-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone ever had to get rid of an old sofa(3+1+1) to make way for a new one and does anyone offer a local service to get rid of same(is landfill the only option for old one?)

Many tks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

What sort of condition is the old sofa set in?

Is there any charity that would be interested in taking it? I hate sending stuff like that to landfill.

Or alternatively would a second hand shop take it?

Failing that, how about freecycling it? http://www.freecycle.org/group/Ireland/Ireland/Limerick

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Don't let your young neighbours find out about it, May Eve approacheth.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Thanks for the replies. It's not good enough for reuse(about 20 yrs. old and owes me nothing!).Thanks for link BeanieBaby-don't think anyone would want mine!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

i got rid of a chair recently, the legs were broken on it, it was part of a 3 peice. used a local guy called Dan, I think he advertises in the limerick post. Dan's Removals, seemed genuine, not cheap though. we had a lot of stuff to get rid of and it cost about 70euro

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

€70 is about the going rate for such a service. Providing he has a waste permit, that charge is based on the time it takes to get to your place from his depot, load the van with the waste, bring it to a waste facility, pay them for the amount disposed and then drive back to the depot. Waste permits are not easy to get and not cheap either.

If you use somebody without a permit YOU can be prosecuted as it's your responsibility. There are a lot of people operating illegally in this market and you're taking a big risk using them.

You could either pay the likes of €70 to get somebody to come and take it straight away, or hire a mini skip, have it outside your house for days and it will cost about €100. Easy decision :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

cormie wrote: »

You could either pay the likes of €70 to get somebody to come and take it straight away, or hire a mini skip, have it outside your house for days and it will cost about €100. Easy decision :)

100 for a mini skip seems extremely cheap! Who supplies them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sorry, I meant the baby skips, http://www.keywaste.ie/babyskip/ :)

Advertisement