Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Gun - west to east

Options
  • 14-04-2009 10:08am

Did this yesterday with 3 others - apparently it's not the usual way. Went from the Black Valley up to Cnoc na Peiste via Lough Googh, then down to the Big Gun and on to An Cruach Mhor before descending back down to the Black Valley again. Great walk, would highly recommend it - took just over 5 hours. And the Big Gun is one heck of a thrill, tried to stay on the ridge as much as possible, though we were forced to go around rather than over some rocky outcrops in one or two parts. And there were a couple of areas where we had to jump from one rocky ledge to another. But couldn't recommend it highly enough.

So is there any other walk or climb as thrilling as that in the country? The Faha Ridge up to Mt. Brandon is supposed to be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Did this yesterday with 3 others - apparently it's not the usual way. Went from the Black Valley up to Cnoc na Peiste via Lough Googh, then down to the Big Gun and on to An Cruach Mhor before descending back down to the Black Valley again. Great walk, would highly recommend it - took just over 5 hours. And the Big Gun is one heck of a thrill, tried to stay on the ridge as much as possible, though we were forced to go around rather than over some rocky outcrops in one or two parts. And there were a couple of areas where we had to jump from one rocky ledge to another. But couldn't recommend it highly enough.

So is there any other walk or climb as thrilling as that in the country? The Faha Ridge up to Mt. Brandon is supposed to be great.

Actually, I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Or even if anyone knows a list of scrambles in Ireland? We've a lot of walking, and climbing, but the scrambles don't seem as easy to find; compared to wales where I just stumble (!) onto them. (I know about howling ridge, carrot ridge - anything like this, but grade 1/2?)

Is there any good scrambling in Wicklow? Don't think I've come across any at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Have alook at this. It also references a book on scrambles in Munster 'Munsters Mountains', which I have and use. The thread mentions Great Gully in wicklow (Glenmalure), which I'd like to try this summer

http://forum.climbing.ie/index.php?topic=1782.0

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

You've probably done them already, but in the Reeks The Bone and Hag's Tooth Ridge, staying on the crest of them can be made as hard or easy as you want.
    Also the gully in by Skregmore in the Reeks is steep, straightforward and really nice.

Great, thanks for that link.

You've probably done them already, but in the Reeks The Bone and Hag's Tooth Ridge, staying on the crest of them can be made as hard or easy as you want.

Nope, despite seeing the Reeks every day, to my shame last Sunday was the first time I've been on them - just a recent convert to the joys of hillwalking and scrambling, but on the plus side I have so much to look forward to. Think I might try that one this Sunday, weather permitting. Thanks. What's the best starting point for that trek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

It's prob better to do The Bone before Hag's Tooth Ridge. For The Bone you cross the river in the Hag's Glen, head up towards Lough Callee, then up The Bone, which is the spur on the left of Loch Coimin Mor.
    Whenever I've done it we've used helmets and had a rope with us to allow us to try the little steps along the way.

Didn't get up that walk. Had to go on a charity walk Saturday, so we just restricted ourselves to Boughil Sunday. Nice compact mountain, get a lot of scenery for an hour of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A gang of us did Faha a few years ago, it snowed the night before and was class. it's probably easier than the reeks ridge but probably a teeny bit more difficult than the ridge from Crrauntuthail to Beenkeragh.

It's prob better to do The Bone before Hag's Tooth Ridge.

Did the route up by Stumpa an tSaimh, onto Beenkeragh, across the Bone and onto Carauntoohil lately. Loved it. Really liked that pinnacle at the foot of Stumpa an tSaimh ridge, think it's called the Hag's Tooth but have seen some books and sites question that. Anyway, though not reaching anything like the altitude of the peaks around it, and not that difficult to get up a gully on the North side, at the top it was pretty dramatic, one of the group got a minor attack of vertigo at that stage!

Advertisement