Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porto (2) V Man United (2) CL Match Thread

• 14-04-2009 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

Porto with the away goal advantage. United with it all to do.

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think the tempo of the game will be too high, and we will need quick play in the final third. Giggs, too often, slows us down. Also, who would you drop for him?

I'm 100% certain Giggs will start in the centre with Carrick or on the wing instead of PArk.

What we need tommorow night is goals, Giggs has 13 assists this season, an excellent return, wouldn't completely agree he slows everything down he is still well capable of injecting urgency into the play when required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Utd will win.

No doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Utd will will.

No doubt.

will will? what?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Utd will will.

No doubt.

I have no dount too United Will Will. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm 100% certain Giggs will start in the centre with Carrick or on the wing instead of PArk.

What we need tommorow night is goals, Giggs has 13 assists this season, an excellent return, wouldn't completely agree he slows everything down he is still well capable of injecting urgency into the play when required.

I'd agree with Giggs out wide for this game though not sure if he should start there or be brought on if we haven't broken them down....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Im quietly confident about tomorrow night. I think Utd can do the business alright. Id like giggs to play maybe as the second striker as it would keep a pacy midfield and he could do what he does best with a bit of freedom then. Just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well Utd have to attack and Porto have the pace and control to get the goal they need to be pretty sure so I'll go for a 1-1 and a sending off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'll go 0-1. Porto midfielder to score a perfectly legit goal but ruled offside. United to score in the 90th minute. Karma finally balanced.

Boggles wrote: »

I hope that is not the case to be honest. Yeah we need to win, but we also need to compete in the midfield. I'd consider him replacing park, but he'd never play on the win, least not more most of the match, which would mean 3 in the centre (imo) of Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs, with Ronnie and Rooney flanking Berbatov. really hope both Park and Giggs don't both start, as I can't see a formation with the two of them that will be good enough for what is needed.

Not an unlikely formation (433) but I would still not be sure of it.

It would mean Rooney on the wing, which is ok in itself, but Berbatov up front as the point man... on this seasons showings so far it simply isn't likely to work - we'd likely see Berbatov dropping slightly deep trying to create meaning no one in the centre. I really think we need to have Rooney up front with Berbatov creating for him, as Rooney has shown more evidence of being capable of this, and he is in great form at the moment imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ill go for 2-0 utd

Rooney and Ronaldo

berba to go missing ;):D

or if utd are still 0-0 at 70 mins Kiko to come on and score the winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

oops! fixed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

VDS
    O'Shea--Rio
    Vidic----Evra
    Giggs--Fletcher----
    -Park
    Ronaldo
    Rooney--Berbatov

Not the team I wanna see but the team I think will start. Would prefer to see Anderson and Carrick in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Not sure about Park when we need goals. This time last season i would have said Nani to start, but this season... So i guess Park will start, which isnt all bad, i just hope he isnt on the ball if we need a goal.

Ronaldo can be called upon on an occasion like this, if not, Macheda's European debut goal will probably be amazing.

Yeah we need to win, but we also need to compete in the midfield.

Giggs was fantastic in the centre against Everton and Chelsea, MOTM for both, some of his tackles were fantastic. Giggs this season is no light weight in the centre.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Not sure about Park when we need goals. This time last season i would have said Nani to start, but this season... So i guess Park will start, which isnt all bad, i just hope he isnt on the ball if we need a goal.

Ronaldo can be called upon on an occasion like this, if not, Macheda's European debut goal will probably be amazing.

We need one goal and a clean sheet. Park would certainly help with the clean sheet part. Plus who else we gonna put out there. Don't want to see Rooney on the wing, Nani won't start, and Giggs can't do it anymore.

We need one goal and a clean sheet. Park would certainly help with the clean sheet part. Plus who else we gonna put out there. Don't want to see Rooney on the wing, Nani won't start, and Giggs can't do it anymore.

we'll need park on the right to back up josh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Don't think Fletcher is in squad, and as I said in other thread unlikely Scholes will play as he jas played twice in a week

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BF9E570E6%2D407E%2D44BC%2D800F%2D4A3110258114%7D&newsid=6630661

Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda.

kida wrote: »
    Don't think Fletcher is in squad, and as I said in other thread unlikely Scholes will play as he jas played twice in a week

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BF9E570E6%2D407E%2D44BC%2D800F%2D4A3110258114%7D&newsid=6630661

Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda.

no fletch --wow

looks like ando will get a game

Headshot wrote: »
    we'll need park on the right to back up josh

I know this will probably happen. However I don't like it as it leaves an unbalanced look to the side. On the left you have Ronaldo, and Evra providing a lot of width, yet on the right you have Park who comes infield a lot, and O'Shea who doesn't get forward effectively that often. Meaning nearly every attack is going through the middle or from the left.

Makes it easier for the opposite team to defend against as the can make it more compact when they don't have to worry about the right wing.

I would prefer to see Park on the left and Ronaldo on the right but it won't happen. At least not at the start of the game.

kida wrote: »

Haven't heard about any injury to Fletcher, would be surprised if he was not in the squad.

Really don't know how Fergie will approach this.

The defence picks itself I reckon, too soon for Raf imo. so it will probably be Edwin in goals, Josh at RB, Rio and Vidic in the centre and Evra at LB.

After that, i don't know how it will play out. I reckon Rooney and Ronaldo will start, and I would almost put money on Carrick and Berbatov starting. its the 10th and 11th players I am not sure of, and they will dictate the formation imo.

• Advertisement

no fletch --wow

looks like ando will get a game

I can only hope the journo simply missed Fletcher out (as they are blogging live from their phone...) Fingers crossed.

I think I can spot Fletcher in the back ground of the photo on the web site. If that is a live photo or not I don't know.

I think I can spot Fletcher in the back ground of the photo on the web site. If that is a live photo or not I don't know.

I thought so too, but the quality isn't great so can't be sure. (just behind Scholes?)

I thought so too, but the quality isn't great so can't be sure. (just behind Scholes?)

yep. thats were I was looking too. An oversight on the text if you ask me

They should have the guys number there so you could text it and ask questions.

yep. thats were I was looking too. An oversight on the text if you ask me

They should have the guys number there so you could text it and ask questions.

lol - turns phone off for flight... 2 hours later turns it back on and has 2,000,000 pending text messages... NIGHTMARE!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

No Fletcher according to BBC (unless I've missed him): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda.

If we weren't playing like we're intent on losing every available trophy, I'd be confident. I think we have to attack, and as Porto showed last week, they're very good on the counter attack. There's a lot of players I would be unsure about playing (mainly Park and Berbatov), but I can't think of any replacements. Maybe something like this:

VDS
    JOS--Ferdi---Vidic--Evra
    Ronnie--Giggs--Ando--Park
    Rooney--Tevez

I think Berbatov was dire against Sunderland (I'm not even a Berba-hater!). My concern with Park is that he's not clinical enough. We need goals tomorrow night. But, as someone already said, we need him to track back too. Aside from putting Rooney on the left (he did well against Sunderland there, though he does well pretty much anywhere on the pitch), or starting Nani (*aims gun at foot*), we've no other option.

Tom65 wrote: »
    No Fletcher according to BBC (unless I've missed him): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Fabio, O'Shea, J. Evans; Ronaldo, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Nani, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Macheda.

If we weren't playing like we're intent on losing every available trophy, I'd be confident. I think we have to attack, and as Porto showed last week, they're very good on the counter attack. There's a lot of players I would be unsure about playing (mainly Park and Berbatov), but I can't think of any replacements. Maybe something like this:

VDS
    JOS--Ferdi---Vidic--Evra
    Ronnie--Giggs--Ando--Park
    Rooney--Tevez

I think Berbatov was dire against Sunderland (I'm not even a Berba-hater!). My concern with Park is that he's not clinical enough. We need goals tomorrow night. But, as someone already said, we need him to track back too. Aside from putting Rooney on the left (he did well against Sunderland there, though he does well pretty much anywhere on the pitch), or starting Nani (*aims gun at foot*), we've no other option.

BBC could be picking up on the ManUtd.com reported squad. BBC aren't always right either - they didn't have Macheda in the United squad for the Villa game, for instance.

img_10_24594_2174.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=240&hei=179&rgn=0.004032258064516129,0.07357859531772574,0.967741935483871,0.5986622073578595&cvt=jpeg

looks like fletch behind scholes

BBC could be picking up on the ManUtd.com reported squad. BBC aren't always right either - they didn't have Macheda in the United squad for the Villa game, for instance.

I'd go with this. I just think there would be an additional mention if Fletcher wasn't in the squad rather than just leaving him out of the squad list.

• Advertisement

img_10_24594_2174.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=240&hei=179&rgn=0.004032258064516129,0.07357859531772574,0.967741935483871,0.5986622073578595&cvt=jpeg

looks like fletch behind scholes

More worryingly... that looks like Gary Neville in that pic too...:eek::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

With the way United are playing, coupled with the way Porto played at OT, coupled with the fact they have home advantage, I have to say I'm not feeling too confident.

With the way United are playing, coupled with the way Porto played at OT, coupled with the fact they have home advantage, I have to say I'm not feeling too confident.

yeah but you can never be that confident in getting an away win in the knockout rounds of the champions league either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

If the BBC panel is correct then I'd like to see:

VDS

--JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra--

Park
    Anderson
    Carrick

-Ronaldo
    Rooney-

Berbatov

Tevez to come in if Berb is as non existant as he was against Sunderland.

Not so sure how JOS will hold up, would love to see Raf back but tis too early I'm sure.

If Fletch is in the squad then I'd rather see him in ahead of Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

deisedevil wrote: »
    If the BBC panel is correct then I'd like to see:

VDS

--JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra--

Park
    Anderson
    Carrick

-Ronaldo
    Rooney-

Berbatov

Tevez to come in if Berb is as non existant as he was against Sunderland.

Not so sure how JOS will hold up, would love to see Raf back but tis too early I'm sure.

If Fletch is in the squad then I'd rather see him in ahead of Park.

Hope it doesnt happen but I see us playing a 4-5-1 also. rooney and ronaldo on wings and 3 centre mids (your guess is good as mine but gonna be combination of giggs, scholes, flectcher, carrick and anderson obviously). Dont think park will make starting 11 unless we go 4-4-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Skud wrote: »
    Hope it doesnt happen but I see us playing a 4-5-1 also. rooney and ronaldo on wings and 3 centre mids (your guess is good as mine but gonna be combination of giggs, scholes, flectcher, carrick and anderson obviously). Dont think park will make starting 11 unless we go 4-4-2

I could see a 4-5-1 losing United this tie.

If Ronaldo and Berbatov don't show up, Rooney gets wasted on the wing and Porto score first, it's all but over.

With the way their defense is playing United need to put all their attention on scoring first and not on some half-arsed tactical battle because going by form they will err first. Bench Berbatov, stick Rooney and Tevez up front and put Porto on the back foot from the kick off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think we're due one of those breakout performances where we just blitz the other team when everyone expects a close one. Arsenal last season with a lot of our starters missing comes to mind. We need a goal in the first half IMO because Porto will probably start time wasting from about the 20th minute

But PLEASE, don't put Rooney on the wing!

Liam O wrote: »
    I think we're due one of those breakout performances where we just blitz the other team when everyone expects a close one. Arsenal last season with a lot of our starters missing comes to mind. We need a goal in the first half IMO because Porto will probably start time wasting from about the 20th minute

But PLEASE, don't put Rooney on the wing!

I think we all have been waiting for one of those kind of performances since Blackburn scored against us. It's been a long wait and could be longer. Here's hoping they finally put this slump behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Even if we get through Wazza is going to be supended for either a semi or the Final no doubt as there is no way I see him going through 3 games without picking up a yellow.

redout wrote: »
    Even if we get through Wazza is going to be supended for either a semi or the Final no doubt as there is no way I see him going through 3 games without picking up a yellow.

If we even get to the semi's or dare I say it the final then Rooney being suspended will have been worth it. I'd rather see him get a yellow tomorrow night and go through. (that would also mean he'd miss the 1st semi, best of a bad lot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Rooney should get booked tomorrow. We're only in it to win it, and I think its highly unlikely we'd win the final without him playing so he might as well miss one of the semis.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    I think Rooney should get booked tomorrow. We're only in it to win it, and I think its highly unlikely we'd win the final without him playing so he might as well miss one of the semis.

IF we get through would our first leg of the semi be home or away. Prefer for him to miss the away leg as he would probably be stuck on the wing for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Think it's gonna finish up 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

gosplan wrote: »
    I could see a 4-5-1 losing United this tie.

If Ronaldo and Berbatov don't show up, Rooney gets wasted on the wing and Porto score first, it's all but over.

With the way their defense is playing United need to put all their attention on scoring first and not on some half-arsed tactical battle because going by form they will err first. Bench Berbatov, stick Rooney and Tevez up front and put Porto on the back foot from the kick off.

I disagree.

4-5-1 can be a wonderful attacking tactic.

If you have a triumvirate of Park, Fletcher and Anderson in the middle, working hard, harrying Porto, you can slowly begin to dominate possession, given that Lisandro, Hulk and (the other one whose name temporarily escapes me, much to my dismay) are all forwards rather than a forward and two wingers they'd be quite advanced, leading to Porto being outnumbered at the back. If Rooney and Ronaldo can then advance into the box to support Berbatov we'd outnumber them everywhere on the pitch.

Porto are a very good side, I didn't expect them to be that good at OT, but only a fool would have ignored a team that strong. Being Portugese doesn';t make them bad, ffs, they've one a Champions League recently enough after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

While I think Porto are a good team, Man U let them run all over them in the first leg. Defensively, Porto are poor. If United step it up then they should win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United play what can best be described as a 4-2-3-1, I don't know why we'd change that when we haven't in quite some time.

How about this then, go all out?

VDS

JOS----Rio
    Vidic----Evra

Anderson
    Carrick

-Ronaldo
    Tevez
    Rooney-

Berbatov

Ferreira hit with ban
    Porto boss can't contact players against Man Utd

Porto boss Jesualdo Ferreira will not take charge of team affairs against Manchester United on Wednesday.

He has been banned by Uefa and is forbidden from contacting his players before or during the match, or from taking his place on the touchline.

The suspension relates to a gesture he made toward the referee when a Porto goal was disallowed during the European clash with Atletico Madrid on 24th February.

Porto appealed against an initial two-match ban and Ferreira was allowed to perform his duties last Tuesday when Porto earned a 2-2 draw in the first leg of their quarter-final tie at Old Trafford.

Uefa's appeals body has now reduced that sentence to a one-match touchline ban and deferred the second match suspension.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5188161,00.html

More on Porto

FC Porto coach Jesualdo Ferreira has been banned from the touchline for Wednesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg against Manchester United FC, following a meeting of the UEFA Appeals Body on Tuesday in relation to the UEFA Champions League first knockout round first-leg match against Club Atlético de Madrid on 24 February.

Suspension and fine
    The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body last month suspended Ferreira for two matches for a gesture made towards the referee after a first-half goal scored by Porto against Atlético was disallowed. Porto were also fined €25,000 for the improper conduct of their supporters (insulting chants, throwing of missiles, setting off of pyrotechnical devices), as well as the late submission of the team sheet.

Appeal lodged
    Porto lodged an appeal against the decision, and requested a stay of execution for the touchline ban. Consequently, Ferreira was able to take his place on the bench for the quarter-final first leg in Manchester last week. The Appeals Body established that the conduct of the Porto coach was in breach of the principles of sportsmanship (Article 5 of the UEFA disciplinary regulations – click here). The verdict takes account of his unblemished disciplinary record. As a result, FC Porto's appeal has been partially upheld. Ferreira has been suspended for two UEFA club competition matches, but the suspension for the second match has been deferred for a probationary period of two years. This means the touchline ban applies to the UEFA Champions League match in Porto on Wednesday. The €25,000 fine handed down to Porto by the Control and Disciplinary Body is confirmed.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=512/newsid=819910.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Come on Porto! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

No scores in the thread titles ffs,

some people have yet to watch the highlights of the 1st leg :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement