Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porto (2) V Man United (2) CL Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

**** yeah!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well that's it, United have done all they needed,

Am Glad Ronaldo's goal turned out to be such an important one,

I hate when strikes like that end up lost in a bad result,

Well done United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ship it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

YESSSSSSSSS

FT

:)

That was scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Semi's here we come... night folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great performance from United tonight if not the most pleasing to look at. I still think United were very lucky in the first leg to even muster up two goals but there you go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Final whistle.

Rooney or Ronaldo for United's MOTM?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well done,Utd did the job tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes. Still on for retaining the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Porto bent over and took it dry from United without even batting an eyelid. Sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man of the match for me would be this man

rio.jpg

great to have him back,excellent tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bring on the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hopefully the clean sheet will breath some life back into that defence. 1-0, and deserved, given the shakeyness of the side of late, i really couldn't have asked for more. Really do hope that will see us getting back to form on the domestic front now.

Also, OMG!! Porto lost at home to an English side... from all the pre-game coverage i thought that was impossible!

An File wrote: »
    Final whistle.

Ronaldo because of the goal.

Is Vida on a yellow card now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Good solid professional performance, with a moment of magic from the magic men. ****ing hell Ronaldo what a goal.

We defended okish but did enough to stop them, but most importantly, this is the first half decent game United have played in some time. Rio and Vidic back in the middle thank god.

I think Anderson will play a big role in this run in personally, and I think he did well tonight in suring up the midfield.

Roll on Arsenal, which will be a very tough tough tough tough game.

An File wrote: »
    Final whistle.

Ronaldo or Ferdinand for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Porto bent over and took it dry from United without even batting an eyelid. Sham.

And we gave it with both balls. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Delighted, think we deserved it over the course of the game, outstanding defensive effort tonight, nice to see again.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

Maybe the fact that United have the best central defense in Europe contributed or maybe then it was just Porto gifting United a CL semi-final :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Headshot wrote: »
    man of the match for me would be RIO

great to have him back,excellent tonight

Was just about to say that - completely held the defence together - brought some much needed control and composure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

John O'Shea finished with a 100% pass completion !

33 Accurate passes

0 Bad passes

Well done.

Rooney had a 95% pass completion

36 Accurate passes

2 Bad passes

Too the people bigging up porto last week and damning them tonight - could the contrasting performance have anything to do with the fact United's midfield offered not opposition to them last week, but were much, much better tonight and played a much better game?

redout wrote: »
    John O'Shea finished with a 100% pass completion !

33 Accurate passes

0 Bad passes

Well done.

Rooney had a 95% pass completion

36 Accurate passes

2 Bad passes

yeah but he still gives it away everytime he gets it :rolleyes:

'Ronaldo wont score many goals'

Good Aul' Eamo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Ronaldo, Ferdinand and Ando are probably my men of the match :P I thought Anderson tackling and break up play in midfield was brilliant. That and Ferdinand can be the difference between us conceding two goals at home and keeping a clean sheet away. Ronaldo was excellent in the first half, and the start of the second, as the game go bogged down in our half towards towards the end he had less to do though.

Also, Rooney looked knackered by the end. I doubt he'll play in the next match.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Liam O wrote: »
    'Ronaldo wont score many goals'

Good Aul' Eamo

We'll be talking about that goal for a while :)

Tonights full-time stats:

a11fos.jpg

looking forward to hearing this

Taughts on berba tonight people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Was a really poor match to watch. Dont think Utd played well. Porto were terrible though so they didnt have to play well. There was absolutely no urgency from them. They only needed 1 goal but they just didnt seem up for it at all.

Utd rode their luck in the first leg and got the job done tonight. Should make for a very interesting semi with arsenal now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Never been so happy in my life to keep a clean sheet :)

Did John say Carrick is "leggy"? :confused:

John: "He's leggy, he's a bit... leggy...etc"
    Bill: "What do you mean by that?"
    John: "He's leggy... he's--he's... leggy."

Tom65 wrote: »
    Ronaldo, Ferdinand and Ando are probably my men of the match :P I thought Anderson tackling and break up play in midfield was brilliant. That and Ferdinand can be the difference between us conceding two goals at home and keeping a clean sheet away. Ronaldo was excellent in the first half, and the start of the second, as the game go bogged down in our half towards towards the end he had less to do though.

Also, Rooney looked knackered by the end. I doubt he'll play in the next match.
    against Everton in the Cup semi - i reckon he'd kill Fergie if he tried to drop him:D

Agree about Ando; messed up a few too many passes but his energy and running in midfield was massively important and his defensive work was very good.

As for Rooney... wow. An epic performance from him imo. His workrate, positioning, running and use of the ball were brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

So carrick is back to being rubbish? He was rubbish when he started at man-u, they he was great, now he's rubbish again.
    Sack the panel, they get worse every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Man that was nervy towards the end. Really brought you back to 4 years ago. It's the most tense possible situation, almost like a golden goal.

Collectively it wasn't superb (then again it didn't need to be), but some terrific individual performances. Delighted with Ronaldo, aside from his goal of the season contender, he played very well. Always assured when he got the ball, and put a decent shift in. Rooney, as always when on the flank, was up and down all night and really stunted the runs of Cissokho which were very damaging in the first leg. The other stand-out performance was Ferdinand - looking at tonight, surely nobody can question the stability and assurance he gives to the United defence. For the first time the back 4 beared some resemblence to the one that went on such a fantastic run.

Roll on the semis - if the game at the Emirates earlier in the season is anything to go by, they'll be two fascinating games.

Tonights Player stats:

36434870.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dave! wrote: »
    Did John say Carrick is "leggy"? :confused:

John: "He's leggy, he's a bit... leggy...etc"
    Bill: "What do you mean by that?"
    John: "He's leggy... he's--he's... leggy."

eamo did contribute that he was "ponderous", just to help clear things up!

i would have just said carrick was "sh!t"

looking forward to hearing this

Taughts on berba tonight people

I would like him to be more dynamic, but i thought he did well at keeping possesion away from Porto, which is very important, especially in europe.

Still wish he would stay a bit closer to the box though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

We may have to play Arsenal 4 times before the end of the season! 3 are definitely happening and we may face them in the FA cup final. Should be fun. Fergie v Wenger of old?

• Advertisement

Berbatov did hold the ball up very well on a few occasions, his first touch was lovely to watch as well.

Unfortunately, as a striker he underperformed. Never threatened the Porto goal, apart from that speculative effort at the start of the second half. Some of his passes were too soft as well.

A mixed performance of good/bad, and his being replaced shows that the manager knew he wasn't at his best.

Wonder if Arsenal will be putting there all into the league game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

CLEAN SHEET in the 2nd leg of the Champions League Q-Finals away from home.... good result,
    A WIN in the 2nd leg of the Champions League Q-Finals away from home.........Priceless :D

Good performance all round , Showed some good signs that we are starting to play again, Rio and Anderson played a big role tonight and hopeful for the rest of the season, Ronaldo scored a fcuking cracker . Thought O Shea had a very good game and deal with Hulk very well staying on his feet a number of times and seen hulk off in the danger areas , reduced Hulk to wild 30/40 yard strikes.
    BERBS ran 7+KM :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jamie Redknapp - "It literally explodes off his foot"

Why do people ever say literally? Clearly the word has become meaningless in the modern English language.

Liam O wrote: »
    We may have to play Arsenal 4 times before the end of the season! 3 are definitely happening and we may face them in the FA cup final. Should be fun. Fergie v Wenger of old?

liam O liam O liam O

*shakes head*

spoilers ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

liam O liam O liam O

*shakes head*

spoilers ffs

PHB already said it so have a go at him instead.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Jamie Redknapp - "It literally explodes off his foot"

Why do people ever say literally? Clearly the word has become meaningless in the modern English language.

Jamie Redknapp literally talks through his arse

Does anybody else think that John O'Shea looks like a skinny Peter Kay? :D

He did a good interview with RTÉ there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

keane2097 wrote: »
    the word has literally become meaningless in the modern English language.

fixed ;)

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    doubt it with a huge FA cup semi on saturday and a semi final in CL a week later.

and a Liverpool league game in between.

Are you a pool supporter ? ;)

Advertisement