Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porto (2) V Man United (2) CL Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No scores in the thread titles ffs,

some people have yet to watch the highlights of the 1st leg :mad:

they're not the scores from the 1st leg

alan was just predicting what the score will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Sir Alex just confirmed Rio is fit to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Headshot wrote: »

Ahh good good :)

If it ends up that way he'll be in trouble :D

Ferdinand announced to be starting tomorrow,

its a big ask for united, but i think they will have enough to win the match, and therefore the tie, by the 1 goal though.

Technically they are but ;)

and if you havent known the scores from two weeks ago then thats ridiculous asking persons not to post it. Get up to date man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

redout wrote: »
    Technically they are but ;)

and if you havent known the scores from two weeks ago then thats ridiculous asking persons not to post it. Get up to date man.

Well it has been less than a week ;)

but i was joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I can see a 4-3-3 with

VDS
    JOS, Rio, Vida, Evra
    Fletch, Giggs, Carrick
    Ronaldo Berbs Rooney

But would love to see Ando instead of Carrick,

Would so take a 0-1 now for anything in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fergie doesn't have a clue how to play a 4-3-3. Look at the difference between our 4-5-1 and Barca's 4-3-3. When one of our players get it on the wing they are expected to beat their man and they are completely isolated on the wing, as is the striker in the centre. Barca play their team a lot closer together and there is always an option for a pass. The key to this is allowing the CMs to go forward which is something Fergie doesn't seem to do. He has turned Carrick and Scholes, both players in the Iniesta/Xavi mould, into holding midfielders. That is why we score late goals, because when we are chasing the game Carrick is allowed forward. Basically the only 2 times Carrick and Scholes got forward against Sunderland Scholes scored and Carricks shot was knocked in by Kiko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

If the game is half as exciting as Liverpool v Chelsea I'll be happy. Or just has half as many goals! Why would they put Berbatov on, looked like his foot was sore after the Sunderland game and he doesn't really do much.

Valmont wrote: »
    If the game is half as exciting as Liverpool v Chelsea I'll be happy. Or just has half as many goals! Why would they put Berbatov on, looked like his foot was sore after the Sunderland game and he doesn't really do much.

no chance

• Advertisement

right its offical
    , the midfield options have been depleted by the absence of Darren Fletcher, who did not fly out with the squad from Manchester. Sir Alex informed us the Scot sustained a hamstring injury in the first meeting with Porto at Old Trafford last Tuesday.

not too happy with that at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A boring 1-0 win would be just the ticket after tonight's craziness...... John and Eamon are old men, their hearts would not withstand another of those !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

right its offical

not too happy with that at all

Yeah just saw that - big loss tbh. He's our best midfielder atm in terms of form. We need someone who's gonna get stuck in :(

Midfield of Ando, Giggs and Carrick looking more likely?
    (With R&R on the wings)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

VDS

----JOS
    Rio
    Vidic----Evra

-Ronaldo----Anderson---Carrick----Giggs-

Rooney

Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I wonder if Fergie'll start with Berbatov, Tevez and Rooney (on the wing). He has gotten a few assists the last few games in that position. And he certainly offers a lot more than Giggs going forward. Tevez is the kind of tenacious player they need tomorrow, hopefully Anderson will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I will pick Tevez over Berba...
    We need to win the match!

• Advertisement

very nervous about this match

if i see Rooney on the left,im gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

With Fletcher out we need a performance from Anderson.

Midfield trio of Carrick, Anderson and Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

Boggles wrote: »
    With Fletcher out we need a performance from Anderson.

Midfield trio of Carrick, Anderson and Giggs.
    Oh dear no, Carrick & Giggs are just the ones to slow down a game, leave in one, I think Park would be a quick and nibble option that I'd like to see running about the place.

Pigman III wrote: »
    Oh dear no, Carrick & Giggs are just the ones to slow down a game, leave in one, I think Park would be a quick and nibble option that I'd like to see running about the place.

I'd me 100% certain Giggs will start, he won't drop Carrick for this, so that leaves either Park or Anderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

VDS
    --JOS---Rio--Nemagic--Evra--
    Giggs---Carrick
    --PJS
    Ronaldo--
    Rooney----Berba

Would have had Fletcher in for Giggs. If we still need the goal with 15-20 mins left put Ronaldo on the right, Rooney on the left and bring the Mach-attack on :D

• Advertisement

Pigman III wrote: »
    51010271_8eb05a336c.jpg

Go to bed Headshot. :pac:

Boggles wrote: »
    Go to bed Headshot. :pac:

lol

only joking

dont mind park at all, if he was only good in the final third he'd be unreal

but he has been very bad since coming back from internationals

maybe N.Korea took the real park and gave us an imposter whose only here to steal plans for a Nuclear weapon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Without Fletcher I think Anderson is dead cert to start.

PHB wrote: »
    Without Fletcher I think Anderson is dead cert to start.

well done on the 16,000 PHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

not too sure anderson starting would be right, tomorrow night is going to be physical very physical. Maybe look towards JOS in midfield leave hime sit in front of the back 4 and let everyone else run riot going forward

Iang87 wrote: »
    not too sure anderson starting would be right, tomorrow night is going to be physical very physical. Maybe look towards JOS in midfield leave hime sit in front of the back 4 and let everyone else run riot going forward
    I see what you're trying to do.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

well done on the 16,000 PHB

lol thats a depressing thought.

About 5 seconds a post at a min, 45-50 minutes at a max, probably 1 min on average, by 16,000 = 16,000 minutes, so 267 hours.

I coulda learned French.

PHB wrote: »
    I coulda learned French.

Well Some would say alot of those 16000 posts were Double Dutch. :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Utd to get through with a scare or two along the way. As usual.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Utd to get through with a scare or two along the way. As usual.

I dont know. I have no confidence with the way we are playing currently. That said we are a far better side than Porto ever will be and should win although it will be a battle. Porto will be a tough place to get a result and their record of never been beaten at home by an English side speaks for itself. Rio back in the side should settle the defence so hopefully we will kick on from that. Macheda to come on in the last 10mins and score.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

2-0 for me. I expect us to score early and have some scares along the way until we score in the 70th-80th minute and then just ride it out

I think this is an excellent game for Anderson to get back into the fray, he'd probably be looking to put in a performance agaist his old club (or getting his first goal?? ;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm going to be brave and declare that the slump ends here.

I reckon United will produce an Inter first leg-style display that will get goals and see United advance via a 2-0 win.

Come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

C'mon Porto.!!Im hoping for a Porto/Barcelona final.!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Porto look the better team for me + home advantage will seal it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I dont know. I have no confidence with the way we are playing currently. That said we are a far better side than Porto ever will be and should win although it will be a battle. Porto will be a tough place to get a result and their record of never been beaten at home by an English side speaks for itself. Rio back in the side should settle the defence so hopefully we will kick on from that. Macheda to come on in the last 10mins and score.......

Yeah we're playing rubbish at the moment! Utd will turn it around though, the quality is there...just a matter of time...hopefully it won't come too late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

very nervy about this one...
    Vidic to put us one up in an excellent first half, we then collapse in the 2nd and hulk scores one with 5 minutes to go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Porto will be a tough place to get a result and their record of never been beaten at home by an English side speaks for itself.
    How many English sides have they played?!

• Advertisement

only1stevo wrote: »
    very nervy about this one...
    Vidic to put us one up in an excellent first half, we then collapse in the 2nd and hulk scores one with 5 minutes to go..
    That would be incredible... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I have a good feeling bout this. Been looking forward to it for the last week. Even though we not playing well think we will get back on track tonight. Anderson to start and score from play!

:D

lolz

roo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-1 United (hopefully) or 1-1 (probably :( )

4-4 draw, United to go through on away goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lolz

roo.jpg

Applies to singles placed before kick off only.

Max Refund €300/£200 per customer.

Applies to 1st/last goalscorer, correct score & scorecast bets only.

Applies to 90 minutes only – extra time does not count.

Applies to win part of each-way goalscorer bets only.

If Waybe Rooney plays no part in the match special will revert to last goal scored outside the box.

Own goals do not count.

Does not apply to customers whose language of registration is Spanish. (wtf!)

Paddy Power football rules apply.

• Advertisement

VDS

--JOS
    Rio
    Nemagic
    Evra--

Scholes
    Carrick

--Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Rooney--

Berba

There's the team I think Ferguson will field, although it is proving very difficult of late to predict one of his lineups.

The only one I'm not sure of is Scholes, I don't think Anderson is fully fit and Ferguson as he has in the past will give the Ginger one 60 minutes and maybe use Ando as an impact sub.

United if they get about there business early will score twice, Porto will reply, Cagey enough for the Red Devils but to go through (hopefully) by the odd goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Will be shocked if Scholes starts. Started last 2.

Hopefully a comfortable 2-0 win. Try and kick on from here until end of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For me, Scholes and Giggs can't play in the same team together. When the two of them play, we play so slowly. Without Hargreaves or Fletcher though, Anderson is the only other real option, and he hasn't had much game time lately.

kida wrote: »
    Will be shocked if Scholes starts. Started last 2.

He didn't play against Villa so you could be right.

For me, Scholes and Giggs can't play in the same team together. When the two of them play, we play so slowly. Without Hargreaves or Fletcher though, Anderson is the only other real option, and he hasn't had much game time lately.

Indeed, Fletcher is actually a big big loss.

Does he risk an unfit underpar Anderson or does he go for Scholes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement