Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porto (2) V Man United (2) CL Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Trilla wrote: »
    Applies to singles placed before kick off only.

Max Refund €300/£200 per customer.

Applies to 1st/last goalscorer, correct score & scorecast bets only.

Applies to 90 minutes only – extra time does not count.

Applies to win part of each-way goalscorer bets only.

If Waybe Rooney plays no part in the match special will revert to last goal scored outside the box.

Own goals do not count.

Does not apply to customers whose language of registration is Spanish. (wtf!)

Paddy Power football rules apply.

someone is putting a few bets on

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Utd will win.

No doubt.
    Damn you! We don't need any of your Scouse pessimism in here! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I can't believe how many times it's been stated that Porto have never lost at home to an English team, as if it bears any relevance to the outcome of the game. I remember the same was true a few years ago of Deportivo La Coruna, until about 90 minutes before United beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I can't believe how many times it's been stated that Porto have never lost at home to an English team, as if it bears any relevance to the outcome of the game. I remember the same was true a few years ago of Deportivo La Coruna, until about 90 minutes before United beat them.

Exactley.

These records are bull****, they have to be broken sometime. Like the one about Ronaldo scoring, against Liverpool we went 1-0 up and they spent about 6 mins talking about how "When Ronaldo scores first, United DONT lose!" low and behold, we lost 1-4.

If a team has never lost at home, that doesnt mean they will never lose at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Exactley.

These records are bull****, they have to be broken sometime. Like the one about Ronaldo scoring, against Liverpool we went 1-0 up and they spent about 6 mins talking about how "When Ronaldo scores first, United DONT lose!" low and behold, we lost 1-4.

If a team has never lost at home, that doesnt mean they will never lose at home.

Also, they keep saying the record is that Porto have never lost to an English side at the Dragao stadium, which was opened in November 2003. Seriously, just how many times can Porto have played English sides there, for the record to be all that meaningful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

2-0 to the world champs tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

kinaldo wrote: »
    How many English sides have they played?!

I dont know the exact number off hand but can tell you since 97 they have played Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd at home and never been beaten by any of them. So that speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

redout wrote: »
    I dont know the exact number off hand but can tell you since 97 they have played Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd at home and never been beaten by any of them. So that speaks for itself.

More relevant for tonight's game is the fact that they haven't been beaten since November in any competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Macheda to get us through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    More relevant for tonight's game is the fact that they haven't been beaten since November in any competition.

Féck it, United don't need to win, a 3-3 draw will do it and keep all current records in place. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

arsenal were undefeated after 49 games when we played them...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/3950453.stm

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'm not looking forward to tonight.

We've been waiting for a motivated response to the Liverpool tonking (the peak of a malaise that had started much earlier) for a few games now.

Rio being back is a big bonus. But the gameplan is built on a functional, coherent midfield plan. And at the moment I don't have much confidence in our central midfield being able to over much.

I hope I'm wrong though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I doubt Porto will come out to attack tonight but if they do we're screwed imo. (jinxing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I think United will go through tonight. It's going to be tough but I reckon we sneak a 2-1 win.

You'll have to explain the relevance I'm afraid. They've played 3 games in the CL since then. The rest have been in a league ranked 8th in Europe (+ a few cup games against even weaker oppostion).

Look lads the fact of the matter is that records are made to be broken.
    United had never won on Italian turf before the Juve game in 99.
    The won 3-2.
    United hadnt conceded a goal since November until the Newcastle game.
    The've conceded 5 in 3 games.
    Chelsea hadnt been beaten at home for what, 2 and a half years.
    I think they lost 3 in a row when Liverpool beat them.

The thing is, if United start like they did against inter, and bury one or two chances early, they'll progress.

Well, it shows that they are a team full of confidence, which is a problem for United as apart from Kiko, Ronaldo, and possibly Rooney, we have none.

United need to get back to the basics of defending tonight, the midfield has been offering no protection to our backline recently (apart from Fletcher), and that simply has to change tonight, which is why it is such a disappointment that Fletcher is out of the game.

The main reason United have been so good defensively over the last couple of seasons, imo, is that the midfield was never quickly bypassed. They always got into positions to slow the opposition down which allowed the rest of our team to funnel back into position and restrict the space allowed to the opposition. In the last month or two, we have been letting the opposition midfield and forward line stream through the midfield, meaning we are constantly getting outnumbered and stretched at the back. Need to get back to basics, and we need to do so tonight.

Anderson is ready for tonight :D

18:33 Did I really just seethat? Anderson has scored a brilliant overhead kick in training! He's still looking for his first United goal and Wednesday night would be the perfect occasion to open his account.

(From the blog on the United site)

Was just reading that blog myself.
    Hopefully Anderson plays tonight. He really puts himself about and even though he hasnt scored from play for United, tonight would be ideal for him to score.

• Advertisement

Every game that David May has started vs FC Porto, he's scored and United have won. Fergie, I think you know what to do. ;)

You'll have to explain the relevance I'm afraid. They've played 3 games in the CL since then. The rest have been in a league ranked 8th in Europe (+ a few cup games against even weaker oppostion).

Winning regularly breeds confidence and belief. Teams get used to winning which makes them tougher to beat etc, etc. Methinks their performance from last Tuesday should have earned more respect than they are being shown in this thread...

No one has said that Porto are a bad side.
    I think the majority of people just think that United have what it takes to beat them tonight.

Winning regularly breeds confidence and belief. Teams get used to winning which makes them tougher to beat etc, etc.

Look at United's results before the Liverpool match, 1 defeat (to Derby in the Carling Cup) since November. But that meant little to the match, United were humiliated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Well, it shows that they are a team full of confidence, which is a problem for United as apart from Kiko, Ronaldo, and possibly Rooney, we have none.

United need to get back to the basics of defending tonight, the midfield has been offering no protection to our backline recently (apart from Fletcher), and that simply has to change tonight, which is why it is such a disappointment that Fletcher is out of the game.

The main reason United have been so good defensively over the last couple of seasons, imo, is that the midfield was never quickly bypassed. They always got into positions to slow the opposition down which allowed the rest of our team to funnel back into position and restrict the space allowed to the opposition. In the last month or two, we have been letting the opposition midfield and forward line stream through the midfield, meaning we are constantly getting outnumbered and stretched at the back. Need to get back to basics, and we need to do so tonight.

Would have to agree with that. Need to start closing down better in midfield, lately it seems much to easy for teams to get past our midfield and I think that it's just down to lack of effort more than anything else. When we were getting good results and looked strong this season we were constantly closing down in midfield and our quality of passing was very good. Lately the quality of passing and closing down in midfield has become very half hearted and it's just down to lack of effort over anything else, so we lose the ball easily, don't link up well with our attackers and then when we don't have the ball we don't do enough to win it back.

In 06/07 season we had lost to Roma 2-1 and then lost to Pourthsmouth 2-1. We took on Roma in the next game and due to midfield doing some serious closing down and fantastic passing we destroyed Roma and saved our season. Tonight could be the same if the same level of effort is put in. Confidence will only come back when the team (especially midfield) get the work ethic right again!

nicklauski wrote: »
    I think the majority of people just think that United have what it takes to beat them tonight.

Exactly, we were down and out against Juve, 1-1 at home and then 2-0 down within 10 minutes in the second leg. Granted, we don't have a Keane-type figure in the team but to use a cliche 'anything is possible'.

Plus, I find it hard to respect Helton, everytime I see him play, he looks like an outfield player having a go at being a goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think Porto are up to much defensively, I think there's goals in it for United if they go at them.

nicklauski wrote: »

Aye. But posts along the lines of '2-0 and kick on for the rest of the season from there' aren't particularly realistic about the task facing Utd tonight. Utd are favourites and rightly so - but it isn't going to be a stroll.

Anyway, I'm just hoping for a game as good as last Tuesday.

Exactly, we were down and out against Juve, 1-1 at home and then 2-0 down within 10 minutes in the second leg. Granted, we don't have a Keane-type figure in the team but to use a cliche 'anything is possible'.

Plus, I find it hard to respect Helton, everytime I see him play, he looks like an outfield player having a go at being a goalkeeper.
    I think he had a shocker in the first game.
    He spilled quite a few of Ronaldos efforts and although the ball does move a bit in the air, I think a professional keeper, if he's in the right position, should be able to catch them first time.
    They was one effort he spilled and when he recovered it he was actually laughing.
    If the grass is slick enough tonight i think a few pop shots could trouble him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Aye. But posts along the lines of '2-0 and kick on for the rest of the season from there' aren't particularly realistic about the task facing Utd tonight. Utd are favourites and rightly so - but it isn't going to be a stroll.

It's going to be far from a stroll it's going to be very very tough I'll just be happy if united show up.

I do find it amusing tho that united to win 2-0 is unrealistic but talk of teams over turning a 1-3 defeat were thrown around willy nilly with not as much as an odd look.

Methinks their performance from last Tuesday should have earned more respect than they are being shown in this thread...

They do deserve respect and have been getting it on this thread, no one is under any illusions how tough this match will be.

That said I can't get too carried away with Porto, they have met with the imposter that was a Shell of Man United last week, not Porto's fault, but if the real Man United stand up we will see the gulf in class tonight.

With Ferdinand and Berbatov back , United should * be too much for them.

* NB match can go títs up like in the past.

• Advertisement

Well Rooney could be that figure, the only reason we have any goals in this tie is because of him.

Skud wrote: »

Like how he added 'in the English league' to his 'greatest team' comment :mad: He 'supports' Madrid as well, no?

Liam O wrote: »
    Like how he added 'in the English league' to his 'greatest team' comment :mad: He 'supports' Madrid as well, no?

Not sure to be honest. He was helping ronaldo recently with his sprinting. Guess he supports whatever club gives him money :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Does anyone think the porto coach being suspended might help United?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Does anyone think the porto coach being suspended might help United?

Definately, it certainly won't Help Porto, I don't think it ever does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Being honest it really shouldn't to professional footballers, but it can have a mental effect i suppose.

I know I'd be dissapointed if it would effect us a great deal if SAF was suspended.

depends how tactically aware the coaching staff are, and how involved they are. If the Porto manager is very hands on, his complete lack of input could see poor tactical decisions later in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can you not just stay on the phone?

PHB wrote: »
    Can you not just stay on the phone?

not allowed to talk to your team at all

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

heh, well he wouldn't be ringing the bleedin players ;)

Headshot wrote: »

Even at half time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Im pretty sure hes allowed talk to the assistant coach or whatever.

I've seen it been done before anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Big Jack has constant contact with the walkie-talkies at USA 94 no ? Pretty sure thats not allowed anymore though.

A7X wrote: »
    Im pretty sure hes allowed talk to the assistant coach or whatever.

I've seen it been done before anyway.

Officially, no. In England, a manger suspended can still talk to the coaches, but isn't allowed in the dressing room. In Uefa competitions, a manager is banned from having any contact, at all, with the team from something like 5pm the day of the game. Not sure on the time, but certain that are officially forbidden from communicating with their team in any way. Of course people still look for ways around it....Jose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Managers suspended means nothing sure Steve Staunton was suspended for the Cyprus Ireland game a couple of years back and look what happened... oh wait...

But seriously it means f all

ntlbell wrote: »
    heh, well he wouldn't be ringing the bleedin players ;)
    Boggles wrote: »
    Even at half time??

not sure mate

For those who simply won't take my word for it...shame on you.

http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/regulations/uefa/others/72/95/88/729588_download.pdf

Page 23
    Article 70 Ordinary enforcement of suspensions
    1 A team manager/coach who is suspended from carrying out his function may
    follow the match for which he is suspended from the stands only. He may not enter
    in the dressing room, tunnel or technical area before or during the match, nor may
    he communicate with his team.

Thems maybe the rules, but they always do, it's near impossible to police

I'd set up a TV in the changing rooms and get in touch with setanta to do a "special 1 TV"

ring jose and well...

sorted...

• Advertisement

For those who simply won't take my word for it...shame on you.

http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/regulations/uefa/others/72/95/88/729588_download.pdf

Page 23

can't communicate with his team may mean that he can contact the Assistant who in turn will contact he team? Maybe but who cares? We should win no matter where the manager is.

Advertisement