Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shawshank Redemption at the Gaeity

• 14-04-2009 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

This is starting next month, and while the film was very good I'm not sure if it will translate to the stage

What do others think? Will it be worth going to see?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm very interested in seeing this, I love the film and the book and I think it could translate very well to stage. I saw Misery on stage in Cork a few years back, I wasn't convinced that it would translate well to stage before I saw it, but I have to say I really enjoyed it.

Would be interesting to see how they do the escape scene, but at heart it is just a story about friendship which I think would work really well on stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

There's something about this on the radio at the moment

Something about expecting people to work for free on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

Demonique wrote: »
    There's something about this on the radio at the moment

Something about expecting people to work for free on it

Really?Have they casted everyone yet then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

TriceMarie wrote: »
    Really?Have they casted everyone yet then?

Peter Sneridan said that casting numbers have been underwhleming. You can download the Liveline podcast for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

They're expecting the extras with no dialogue who fill out the prison scenes to work for no pay, except for expenses.

The main cast are still going to be paid

I dunno, I think I'd jump at the chance to work for free on a Peter Sheridan production, main character or extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If you ask me, the whole thing has turned into a big publicity stunt.

I feel bad for Peter, who is Director, not producer on this. He is normally one to be reasonable with issues like this.

Actors are outraged at the fact there is a call for unpaid supernumerarys.
    The Abbey and other theatres pay people for roles such as this. Many people disagree that this is a 'tradition' in theatre. Doing profit share for a tiny company in the back of beyond is a far cry from doing a freebie for a huge for-profit show in Dublin.

On one hand the production Co is saying this is a "great opportunity to learn" (as an earlier poster mentioned) and "will look great on a CV".
    On the other hand, they are claiming that they were NOT looking for actors for this - no acting skills are needed - these people will be 'filler' onstage, and best of all, the fact that they didn't have lines meant they 'wouldn't be acting'.

The last part is the biggest rubbish of the lot! So actors are only in character/in their roles/listening WHEN THEY ARE SPEAKING???

Theatre is going to hell if that's the case!

Also the original post asking for 'extras' had NO mention of expenses. That seemed to be mentioned only after the outrage started.

Equity are currently in talks with this company to try and negotiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The uproar got things changed. The extras are now getting paid.

My mate landed a part as an extra in this (with a line or two) and he's chuffed. Said he'd have done it freebs no bother at all. He also said the show is fantastic. I'm very excited to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

From what I've heard, they are getting Equity Minimum - good for them.
    If your mate has a line or two NW, then he is definitely not an extra! Glad it worked out for people!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xword

Im going to be in Dublin at the wkend with bofriend and shawshank is his favrite film so i was gonna book tickets. The tickets are same price for preeviews as they are after opning night. i dont think any othr theater does this do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Prices are set by the production company, not the theatre. The venue itself is only selling 10% (or something tiny like that) of the overall amount of tickets.

Advertisement