Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

biOrb 30 litre Tropical Aquarium

Options
  • 14-04-2009 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I was thinking about getting a tropical fish tank.
    I don't have any experience in this at all.
    I want to get 1 with low maintenance, basically I don't want to clean it every week
    or at all if possible
    does anyone have the 1 scroll down and read.
    can you tell me what kind of maintenance I would have to do with this?
    biOrb 30 litre Tropical Aquarium
    This stunningly attractive aquarium for tropical fish looks great, is strong and safe, and requires virtually no maintenance. A talking point in any home or office!
    Small tropical fish e.g. danios, barb and small tetras are recommended.
    • 40cm diameter
    • 43cm high
    • 30 litre capacity.
    Includes Bowl, Halogen Light unit, 50 watt Heater, Heater stand, Thermometer, Air Pump, Ceramic Media, Filter kit, Bubble Tube, Airstone, all of the start-up Chemicals you need, sample pack of tropical fish food and a base & lid of your colour choice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Hello there,

The smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain stable parameters. The best advice is to get the biggest tank you can afford.

Every tank needs regular maintenance (Weekly/ Every 2 Weeks), if you are not willing/able to do this you should consider another hobby.

You should research "small community fish" for the tank and most importantly the "Nitrogen Cycle".

The nitrogen cycle explains how filters work and how it deals with the waste that fish produce. It doesn't merely mechanically filter the water, it biologically breaks down Ammonia into Nitrite, Nitrite into less harmful Nitrate which in turn is diluted by frequent water changes.

For more detailed advice try the Leinster Fishkeeping Society Forum, loads of friendly people there that can help out. Also keep firing away here with any questions you have and i'll be happy to help.

www.irishfishforum.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jaytoon

what kind of cleaning are we talking here?
    empty the whole lot out,
    im a total novice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

the maintenance on this is replaceing the cartridge about every 10 to 12 weeks and changeing about 30% of the water because of the unique filtration works from the lowest point where the waste settles
    the filter has five stage process and the ceramic media supplied with it provides large surface area for biological filtration and it won't clog like aquarium gravel

flynnc,
    are you an owner of one of these? reef one biorb?
    would you recommand one of these for a novice trying to get into fish keeping?
    how many fish would a 30 ltr hold

You don't have to empty the whole thing. A small regular (20-30%) water change is what's needed along with a cleaning/hoovering of the gravel/sand.

Monitoring of the fish every day for obvious problems (if any).

Cleaning the filter (in tankwater, not under the tap as this kills the bacteria in the filter media) every couple of months

30 ltrs is very small, I wouldn't suggest anything over 10 very small fish (Tetra, Danios, Guppys, Rasboras).

• Advertisement

what size would you recommad for a 1st timer?
    45 ltr?
    also does it matter if its square or circler?
    ive seen this biOrb-Life-P45 on the net and it would be perfect for the space i have in mind.

is it easier to maintain cold or warm fish?
    are there any cool cold fish?

yhea have two one biube and one life p60 find them great and easy to keep

can i ask you where you bought the life P60 and how much it cost?

i got my biorb life p60 in boardwalk pets it was €345.00 full price
    But i got other stuff with it and got money off my bill

I would recommend buying second hand, always loads of tanks on the Buy&Sell for cheap.

I'd go for 100ltrs+ if possible.

I got my 500ltr tank for €200-, plenty of bargains to be had out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement