Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband without landline

Options
  • 14-04-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

hi,

my dad is after a broadband service for surfing and using skype via a skype wifi phone.

basically he wants net access and the ability to make cheap calls, so would i be correct in thining the best way to achieve this would be by not getting a landline and instead just get broadband and a skype out number with a wifi skype fone?

ntl isnt available where he lives (dun laoighre) so he is looking for a broadband company that will supply broadband without line rental, for about 20-25 a month, i would assume 1mb is plent for using skype.

any advice any1?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

any1 at all!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What you claim to look for is a Wireless broadband operator; which limits you greatly. Your best bet would be 3 or Vodafone I guess but Wireless is only a last option broadband and most people would not be very happy with the speeds and caps on it. You could get lucky and have a cable operator providing it in the area but highly unlikely.

The most common broadband you will see is xDSL broadband which require that you have an active phone line to be used; none of them will work with out a paid for phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Vodafone and Three are not broadband (regardless of the maximum speed you *could* get) and are practically useless for Skype, the latency varies from about 150ms at best, to over 1s.

Without cable (UPC) your choices are DSL on a phone line, requiring line rental to be paid, or Fixed Wireless, like Digiweb Metro or IrishBroadband Breeze. For DSL, I'd recommend Smart Telecom.

Advertisement