Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a car, door was repainted...

• 14-04-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭

Lads i went down to cork at the weekend and out a deposit on a 08 330i e92 coupe, ive got it for a super price (under 30k) its a nice car, m sport, basic spec that aside.

a main audi dealer in cork has it, they rang me today to tell me that there body shop guy took a look at it, he has told the sales guy that the passenger door has been fully repainted and in his opinion they havent done a great job, he maintains there has been no crash damage or anything like that (and i believe him because he disclosed the repaint without prompting from me) but the door was fully repainted (he thinks it may have been keyed) and there isnt a super finish on it.

What would you do? i can back out if i want, however its a really really good price and still in warranty etc

this is the car

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330Ci-M-/200914192330069/advert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If it was that bad, im surprised none of the sales lads picked up on it. It cant be that bad, even you didnt pick it up!

See if you can get another few hundred quid off it. I wouldnt let it put me off buying it, nice car as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

If you like the car and are happy to live with a repainted door on a 08 car you could leave it as is.
    I myself would request it to be painted again to have the car as near to perfect as possible, after all it's a nice car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im not an expert myself, and the newer bmw paint finishes are a bit orange peely anyway so i wouldnt have noticed, they hadnt the car in long when i went to see it so i dont think anyone had a proper look.

im wondering if it will cause me hassle down the line, i will have no proof that it was just a scratch repair when i goto sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

:rolleyes: Like the lads said dont let it put you off, its only cosmetic...

unfortunately, im pretty particular, and altho i didnt notice, once it is pointed out to me ill see it every day,

im assuming a good detail should sort out the finish, but i could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'd be more worried about the type of gearstick it has when it comes to selling on ! ;)

Is there talk of them re-doing the door to make the sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Get the garage to repaint the panel. It's only cosmetic damage and if it's done by a decent bodyshop there's no reason for it to be noticeable.

I wouldn't worry about it come resale time too much either. Most cars on the road have had some form of minor repair like this at some stage

MarkN wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the type of gearstick it has when it comes to selling on ! ;)

Is there talk of them re-doing the door to make the sale?

pah, who wants an auto on a 330 :D

im sure if i told him i wanted it redone they would probably do it?

am i over reacting here folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Like yourself I'm pretty fussy something like that would annoy me every time I looked at the car, have you asked the garage to respray the door for you correctly, or get a price for a respray in Dublin and ask them to either knock it off the price or split the difference with you and get it done your self.

Nice car, that's some depreciation on a car that must have been 75-80K new a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Cyrus wrote: »
    pah, who wants an auto on a 330 :D

im sure if i told him i wanted it redone they would probably do it?

am i over reacting here folks?

I don't think your over reacting, I would ask them to repaint it. If they refuse ask them to get a good bodyshop/enthusiast to machine polish the door to see if the finish can be improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

if at all possible i would try get them to repaint it properly and see if you can get some money off. still a smashing car for the money and at the end of the day, it wont make any difference once the job is done right.

Neilw wrote: »
    I don't think your over reacting, I would ask them to repaint it. If they refuse ask them to get a good bodyshop/enthusiast to machine polish the door to see if the finish can be improved.

well it will be going for a detail as soon as i get it anyway (black car with a lotta swirls!) so im sure the finish could be improved, a respray would be the best solution really

I think you should just say look, really like the car, prepared to deal but the door is bugging me.

Have you driven a 335i?

not one that would be for sale at that kinda money :p

i have driven one, if one was available for that money id look into it, however i do like the revvier lighter 330i engine

Hear ya.

I reckon Maxwells would let my one go for 35k but it's auto and 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Not think they are trying to put you off maybe they got a better offer?

rocknchef wrote: »

Why is there always someone who thinks that garages are all bad?

Why is there always someone who thinks that garages are all bad?

I dont think Garages are all bad i take everything as I see it for myself. like every trade there are good guys and bad guys and they all get found out in the end.

rocknchef wrote: »

i dont think so, they came accross as trustworthy

if anything i would commend them for letting me know

9 times out of 10 I go with my first impressions and they are usally spot on.

hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

Believe it or not I was ready to buy that car (hadn't been down to see it or know about the door being repainted) - rang this morning to organise a test drive & they told me it was sold to someone who drove down from Dublin and one of the first thoughts that came into my mind was it Cyrus after readin youyr recent threads!

Its cracking value at that money, I did it up on the BMW configurator and its a €68k car new. Spec could be a little better, but a super engine and decent road tax.

If you decide not to go through let me know as I'd love to own it (Go on get a boxster!) ;)

yeah its a super price alright, i think ill try come to some arrangement with him, either money off to get it sorted or a repsray at their place, these things happen i suppose, as long as its properly repaired ill be happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I wouldn't be put off by it. Fair play to the salesman pointing it out. I can't imagine there are many 3.30's being sold right now so give him credit for that.

It's the same car that you went to see and that you put a deposit on but I'd definitely push for a couple hundred quid off. If they won't budge on price then buy it anyway. Don't lose a good car over something trivial

spoke to him again there

there is no panel damage or anything like that, it was literally a keying that was painted but his bodyshop manager wasnt happy with the finish

he is going to book it in with him tmrw and he will either respray or fix the finish without resparying if possible,

he will call me to confirm, happy with that, its the best customer service i have ever gotten from a garage

as someone else said to me, if there is no structural damage dont worry that the car has some paint, if you got a scratch on your car what would you do only get it painted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

he will call me to confirm, happy with that, its the best customer service i have ever gotten from a garage

Blackwater have an excellent reputation that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Yeah they sound like they're looking after you so as I said give them credit for that. Not only did the salesman put his commission on the line with the possible loss of a sale, he's probably going to lose some commission if its sprayed because it will reduce the profit so give the guy a tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

i would bite his hand off. savage car.

Its nice to see some good feedback coming from a main dealer for a change. Far too often there are more negative comments on here about main dealers.

I hope you get it sorted Cyrus, and best of luck with a fantastic motor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Ask him to "key" it before he resprays it and to take a photo of the keyed door. That way, if it is ever in question when you go to resell it you can show the photo of the minor damage.(Not crash damage)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ask him to "key" it before he resprays it and to take a photo of the keyed door. That way, if it is ever in question when you go to resell it you can show the photo of the minor damage.(Not crash damage)

LOL. :D

Oh, were you being serious? :confused:

PauloMN wrote: »

i think he was, not a bad idea, but unlikely to work out :pac:

ill be upfront with any future purchasers :) there shouldnt be an issue

also a detail should tidy it up nicely

So, what's the first mod?

So, what's the first mod?

19" wheels, same as the ones of your 335, m3 lip spoiler and an eisennman, and thats it :)

Sounds good, love the M3 spoiler and how subtle is it.

Sounds good, love the M3 spoiler and how subtle is it.

yeah it looks really well, one of the lads on bmw-driver put one on his space grey, looks really well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

just out of interest, ad says half leather but cant see it from the pictures. Does it have it? You wont lose too much on that in a couple of years either at that price. Best of luck with it

hi,

its not half leather, its half alcantara half cloth, sport seats :) very comfy they are too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Lads i went down to cork at the weekend and out a deposit on a 08 330i e92 coupe, ive got it for a super price (under 30k) its a nice car, m sport, basic spec that aside.

a main audi dealer in cork has it, they rang me today to tell me that there body shop guy took a look at it, he has told the sales guy that the passenger door has been fully repainted and in his opinion they havent done a great job, he maintains there has been no crash damage or anything like that (and i believe him because he disclosed the repaint without prompting from me) but the door was fully repainted (he thinks it may have been keyed) and there isnt a super finish on it.

What would you do? i can back out if i want, however its a really really good price and still in warranty etc

this is the car

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330Ci-M-/200914192330069/advert

I know that garage.
    I only live around the corner from it
    I also personally know the body shop guy and could make an enquiry for you?
    I also have other contacts in that garage that I could ask for you??

his bodyshop manager wasnt happy with the finish

That Bodyshop manager is a Genious with the spray gun.
    Nothing short of 110% is good enough for him ;)

hi vectra, have pm'd you :) would appreciate any further info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

PauloMN wrote: »

Semi-serious :p

If nothing is wrong with it in the first instance there is no harm to have proof. :D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

spoke to him again there

there is no panel damage or anything like that, it was literally a keying that was painted but his bodyshop manager wasnt happy with the finish

he is going to book it in with him tmrw and he will either respray or fix the finish without resparying if possible,

as someone else said to me, if there is no structural damage dont worry that the car has some paint, if you got a scratch on your car what would you do only get it painted

and here was me hoping/praying you would change your mind! :pac: No last minute thoughts of the boxster :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

bf wrote: »
    and here was me hoping/praying you would change your mind! :pac: No last minute thoughts of the boxster :p

not yet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

this is the car

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330Ci-M-
    /200914192330069/advert

That is extremely cheap for that particular model! 2008 318's are going for that price! What's the catch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If their manager or bodyshop are really fussy and put it right then don't let it bother you. Machine polishing can sort dull paint or swirls, but a bad respray is a bad respray. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear all the time. If it was silver, colour matching would be much more of an issue as what looks perfect in the shade can be quite different in strong sunshine. You often see where colour (base coat) was blown into panels and so a seam. Darker colours are easier to put right in terms of an exact match and don't show any marginal variation anything like as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think there's one other thing that I don't think anyone else has mentioned...
    as far as I know, if a door needs respraying a panel beater usually ends up having to paint / blend the adjoining panels to ensure a decent match. So, you could end up with a lot of one side of the car re-painted to some degree. If its done properly it shouldn't be an issue though me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That is extremely cheap for that particular model! 2008 318's are going for that price! What's the catch?

It's a 3.0 litre petrol engined car, most Irish people will run a mile from anything over 2.0 litre.

Though that 330i has E.D. meaning a lower Co2 tax band than a regular 3.0 litre, not that Cyrus would be swayed by that.

Best of luck with it btw OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

19" wheels, same as the ones of your 335, m3 lip spoiler and an eisennman, and thats it :)

I'd get them to refinish, bmw garages tend to use excellent bodyshops, either that or get a quote off someone you trust locally and take it of the price. I'd imagine that the dealer can get a better price in cork however. Its a nice car too, good value and easier to tax, 3L for 600quid is great.

A little OT I know but my mate has an e93 (conv) 320i with the 19" wheels, m-tech suspension and RFT's and imo the ride is unacceptable. To the degree that if the car is cornering hard and hits a bump it'll jump 1-2ft towards the outside of the corner. Apart from that the car grips well but you know what the roads are like here. Also he has had 4 new tyres and 2 new wheels in 1yr. I'd keep the 18" and try to change the run flats if anything.

Does the e92 m3 have runflats?

m3 doesnt have runflats non of the m's do,

ill keep that in mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The colour should be blended into the wing and rear quarter panel, all trim should have been removed before painting, it should have been baked, there are so many things that need to been done just right, especially on a car of that value. Most buyers would walk away from bad paintwork, if you can see its been done then it's not been done right.

Look at the car on a dry bright day and take an expert if you are not sure what to look for. Never inspect it indoors or in the wet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement