Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA nominees

• 14-04-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭

Player of the year

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Ryan Giggs
    Edwin Van der Saar
    Nemanja Vidic
    Rio Ferdinand
    Steven Gerrard

Young Player of the year

Rafael Da Silva
    Johnny Evans
    Stephen Ireland
    Gabby Agbonlahor
    Ashley Young
    Aaron Lennon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Laughable

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Highsider wrote: »
    Laughable

Have to agree there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Highsider wrote: »
    Laughable

Yeah I'd have Ireland instead of Gerrard. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Rafael da Silva? Thats lunacy - How many matches has he played? Surely Insua should have got a nomination so!

Gerrard has to win this. Rio has been injured for a larger part. Vidic & Giggs did well when United were winning but been in poor form of late & at start of the season. Ronaldo - Jokin right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

is this a joke?

it has to be.

• Advertisement

!
    Gerrard has to win this.

Don't see why, he has a pretty average goal return for a striker.

Vidic for me.

Ireland in under 23s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Further proof of the mental capacity of the professional footballer. No Jagielka, van Persie, Lampard to name but a few. A joke of a list.

Player of the year

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Ryan Giggs
    Edwin Van der Saar
    Nemanja Vidic
    Rio Ferdinand
    Steven Gerrard

That list is a joke.

Vidic, Gerrard and Giggs I can understand (although Giggs hasn't played enough to merit it for me when he has played he's been very very good) but the other 3????

Has Ronaldo really had a better season than Haangeland, Ashley Young, Fellaini, Stephen Ireland, Phil Jagielka?

Ferdinand and VDS I can almost understand for that amazing run of clean sheets but definitely not Ronaldo. His inclusion there is really not merited. Last year he was the hands down, without a doubt, player of the year. This year I think there are more worthy winners.

He might be suffering by his season in comparison to last years but I really feel he hasn't had a season worthy of nomination for player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Van Der Saar - understandable given his run of clean sheets. Don't agree with it, but understandable.
    Vidic - deserves to be there
    Giggs - absolute sentimental rubbish. No way in hell has he been one of the six best premier league players this season
    Ronaldo - shouldn't be there
    Ferdinand - I don't think he's had his best season, not as strong as last year, and i think others (Jagielka?) deserve to be there ahead of him
    Gerrard - Deserves to be there.

Ireland - should be nominated for main award also, and should be a shoe-in for this one
    Young - deserves to be there
    Lennon - I suppose his recent form warrants a mention
    Agbonlahor - shouldn't be there
    Rafael - i know he's flavour of the month with many, but i just don't think he's done nearly enough to be nominated
    Evans - I think he's had a pretty good season, so i'm fine with his inclusion.

Where the hell are Alonso, Lampard, Rooney, Jagielka, Petrov, Valencia . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Holy ****. That is an absolute travesty. Joke of a list. I actually cant believe it. If United were playing great stuff week in week out and running away with the title, fair enough - but thats not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Gerrard & Ireland.

to be honest, Giggs is the biggest joke of the lot. One columnist (Ollie Kay in the times) did an article asking if Giggs should win player of the year and some crazy bandwagon seemed to stem from there. He has NOT been one or the six best players in the premier league this season. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

im not utd fan, but no rooney?

the list is laughable in so many ways.

How Lampard,Alonso,Jagielka or Rooney are'nt on that i'll never know. Gigg's??? ffs sake come on.

Giggs but no Alonso?? Id love to know whose behind this nonsence. Club allegiance and all aside:p

3064633763-soccer-uefa-champions-league-semi-final-second-leg-chelsea-v.jpg

I would have had something like

Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Lampard
    Ireland

Tusky wrote: »
    I would have had something like

Vidic
    Rooney
    Gerrard
    Alonso
    Lampard
    Ireland

That would be mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

greatest list i've ever seen. Giggs on it that makes me laugh along with rio and ronaldo ha ha ha. what have they done thepast 3 months.

Why not this list

Gerrard
    Ashley Young
    Phil Jagielka
    Frank Lampard/Vidic (not certain which i'd go for)
    Robin Van Persie

SlickRic wrote: »
    That would be mine.

Eeek, I only put 5 names. Corrected.

As much as i dislike Rooney it's just plain silly he's not on that list. IMO if he had been injured this season or off form Utd would'nt be fighting it out for the league with Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

These lists are allways laughable to be honest.
    Isnt the result all ready known as the voting took place in March if i recall?

I would've had:

Gerrard
    Vidic
    Alonso
    Rooney
    Ireland
    Jagielka

Young
    Ireland
    Valencia
    Bassong
    Noble
    Nasri

Giggs but no Alonso?? Id love to know whose behind this nonsence. Club allegiance and all aside:p

Alonso 33 Games Started 6 as sub, 2 Goals 5 assists

Giggs 21 Games Started 16 as sub, 3 Goals 13 Assists.

Whatever about Giggs been in the list, he has performed better than Alonso this season and if it were between the 2, Giggs everytime this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Cristiano Ronaldo - Dunno joint top scorer and all, hasn't hit the heights of last year.

Ryan Giggs - Sentimental crap.

Edwin Van der Saar - Just for the clean sheets.

Nemanja Vidic - recent form and early season form was not good. But probably deserves a nomination.

Rio Ferdinand - Shouldn't be here.

Steven Gerrard - Deserved.

Gerrard the winner for me.

Young Player of the year

Rafael Da Silva
    Johnny Evans
    Stephen Ireland
    Gabby Agbonlahor
    Ashley Young
    Aaron Lennon

Harder to tell who should be nominated hard to think of young players that should be in there. Don't really know how many appearances and such that people have been making. Should be a walk for Stephen Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

It truly is a joke of a list, but so has every other list of nominees for awards. The list should include players from all professional leagues, and not just the Premier League. The player who is performing his best - given his or his club's circumstances - is most likely not in the Premier League.

Kevster wrote: »
    It truly is a joke of a list, but so has every other list of nominees for awards. The list should include players from all professional leagues, and not just the Premier League. The player who is performing his best - given his or his club's circumstances - is most likely not in the Premier League.

????

so many other names names would be better than ronaldo, rio and giggs.

hangelaand
    jagielka
    young
    petrov
    schwarzer
    cahill
    felliaini
    even bramble (don't laugh!)
    vp

honorable mention to shawcross of stoke for the young players' category.

Is there not one done for each league?

Very hard to compare players for differentiating league levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I think this is put together and voted on in Jan, so that probably why rio, vds and giggs make the list. I think VDS, Ronaldo and to a point Giggs being on this list is a total joke. VDS has only one more clean sheet that Reina and 2 more than Cech....

Ireland to run away with the under 23 award.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

Whatever about Giggs been in the list, he has performed better than Alonso this season and if it were between the 2, Giggs everytime this season.

So everything has to be based on Goals scored & assists? What about performances and what was contributed! Alonso played 12 morwe games than Giggs and has had a far greater impact for Liverpool team that Giggs for United.

As Rafa would say, These are the Facts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

its a good thing the majority of players in the premiership aren't motivated by individual awards, otherwise there would actually be uproar over that list. and will anyone on this planet tell me what ryan giggs has done in the last 5 years please.

Alonso isn't in the Liverpool team just to get goals and assists, but i agree he should get more.
    He makes the whole team tick and can dictate the tempo of a game in a way Giggs cannot. Alonso has been one of the best players in the league for most of this season. Giggs has not.

Iang87 wrote: »
    its a good thing the majority of players in the premiership aren't motivated by individual awards, otherwise there would actually be uproar over that list. and will anyone on this planet tell me what ryan giggs has done in the last 5 years please.

everyone knows why Ryan Giggs is on the list.

they have votes for every division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'm a United fan but i'd even agree this is ridiculous. I'd have had Ireland in for Rio and Young in for VDS. Don't understand where this Van Persie thing is coming from though. This could be a sequel to Rio's world cup wind-up programme. You iz been well merked!

• Advertisement

you can use stats to paint whatever picture you want. simple fact is that ask 99% of Utd fans who they'd prefer in their team this year, giggs or alonso, and i can virtually promise they'd pick Alonso.

2 league titles, Champions league. 1 fa cup, 1 league cup, 2 community shields, world clup champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Won two league titles, two carling cups, a champions league...

Alonso has been one of the best players in the league for most of this season. Giggs has not.

Leavin all other Bull**** aside this is a true statement in as far as this award goes. End of.

13 assists? really?

either way, you know as well as I do they're not the only way of determining the value of a player. alonso is a deep lying playmaker. he's at the start, and usually the heartbeat, of pretty much every Liverpool attack.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you can use stats to paint whatever picture you want. simple fact is that ask 99% of Utd fans who they'd prefer in their team this year, giggs or alonso, and i can virtually promise they'd pick Alonso.

Not me, Alonso has played maybe 20-25 decent games in 3 years, remember your Messiah tried his best to get rid of in the summer.

He had a decent run of games before Christmas but not good enough to make up for 90% of the time he plays I'm afraid.

emc2 wrote: »
    I think this is put together and voted on in Jan, so that probably why rio, vds and giggs make the list. I think VDS, Ronaldo and to a point Giggs being on this list is a total joke. VDS has only one more clean sheet that Reina and 2 more than Cech....

Ireland to run away with the under 23 award.
    Hold..is it run from January to January or the season (August until May)?

Have to say, i'm not with all this clamor for Young. He was good at the start of the season but he has tailed off massively of late and has actually been quite poor recently. Don't see why people are saying he should be up there for player of the year. He was better last seasons imo and needs to get back to that level.

Won two league titles, two carling cups, a champions league...

Where's JOS in these lists then?

Not me.

yea but we already know you're mental ;)

There and deserved, same as Fletcher. Vital players the 2 of them.

dunno - just someone asked what Giggs has done in the last 5 years. I don't think he has been great over that time (well, last 3 years for me) but he has had his moments and been fairly important in the trophy haul we have enjoyed.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yea but we already know you're mental ;)

I'm not as mental as Rafa, I wouldn't have done my best to sell him. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SlickRic wrote: »
    13 assists? really?

either way, you know as well as I do they're not the only way of determining the value of a player. alonso is a deep lying playmaker. he's at the start, and usually the heartbeat, of pretty much every Liverpool attack.

He's got 7 assists in the league other 6 i'm assuming from league cup fa cup and champions league oh and that world club champion is that right?

Edit alonso has 5 in the league

Not me, Alonso has played maybe 20-25 decent games in 3 years

Hilarious.

And 20-25 good ones?
    And 35-30 very good ones?
    And 20-30 outstanding ones?

I'd be interested in your exact breakdown

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement