Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA nominees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Won two league titles, two carling cups, a champions league...

sorry man you misread the question. What has giggs done in the last 5 years. not what have united won.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Boggles wrote: »
    Not me, Alonso has played maybe 20-25 decent games in 3 years, remember your Messiah tried his best to get rid of in the summer.

He had a decent run of games before Christmas but not good enough to make up for 90% of the time he plays I'm afraid.

This comment shows clearly what you add to the forum. A fairly light-hearted non serious, humorous attitude portrayed in your posts. Most people can leave there biased attitude at the door but you my friend are just a wind-up merchant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He's got 7 assists in the league other 6 i'm assuming from league cup fa cup and champions league oh and that world club champion is that right?

All from club competitive football (not world club cup), why whats your point? Do they not count if there in the Champions League?

This comment shows clearly what you add to the forum. A fairly light-hearted non serious, humorous attitude portrayed in your posts. Most people can leave there biased attitude at the door but you my friend are just a wind-up merchant!

My opinion mate, Your manager agreed with me 7 months ago. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Superman should win both end of.

C_71_article_1023466_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm not as mental as Rafa, I wouldn't have done my best to sell him. ;)

so you'd keep someone who you rate as having 20-25 decent games in 3 years. No standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

All from club competitive football (not world club cup), why whats your point? Do they not count if there in the Champions League?
    No someone just asked where they came from i answered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

How much does this say about the attitudes of a majority of players in the premiership and their inferiority complex towards Man Utd (Which was quite evident in so many games....up until about a month ago!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think he's just answering my question on the 13 assists. retract the claws :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Lads let's not let this turn into another LFC v Man U arguement. Everyone knows Stevie is going to win anyway's :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Iang87 wrote: »
    sorry man you misread the question. What has giggs done in the last 5 years. not what have united won.
    How freaking childish

SlickRic wrote: »
    i think he's just answering my question on the 13 assists. retract the claws :rolleyes:

Retracted, Apologies Everdead. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Alonso 33 Games Started 6 as sub, 2 Goals 5 assists

Giggs 21 Games Started 16 as sub, 3 Goals 13 Assists.

Whatever about Giggs been in the list, he has performed better than Alonso this season and if it were between the 2, Giggs everytime this season.

What source are you using for this?

Comparing the two is quite clearly nonsense given they have completly different roles in their respective teams.

Personally I wouldn't have either in the six but Alonso would be much lot closer than Giggs based on what I've seen this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Highsider wrote: »
    Lads let's not let this turn into another LFC v Man U arguement. Everyone knows Stevie is going to win anyway's :P

no he won't. Giggs or Vidic will. But hopefully those beacons of sanity, the football writers, will put things right.

Persumed you were talking football.

Think he had baby son and built a new house, few sun holidays and released a dvd. Not much your right. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How freaking childish

how freaking typical, wont answer the question.

Giggs doesn't deserve to be on that list at all, neither does rio, or ronaldo i cant even see why van der sar is on it. in that long run of clean sheets i think he had to make 14 or 15 saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Why isn't Macheda up for young player of the year? This list is a fcukin joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Aidric wrote: »

thanks i needed a chuckle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Aidric wrote: »

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

As a United fan I would say this list is an absolute farce. The award should be voted for at the end of the season. It should be to celebrate the best player, but instead it is a joke.

Here's a very good article about it from F365
    When I wrote a piece bemoaning the fact that Ryan Giggs was being touted as a possible PFA Player of the Year award winner - based purely on sentiment rather than consistency of performance - the ignorant amongst you pointed out that awards were not handed out in February, so this evidently silly woman was jumping the gun somewhat.

Of course, the reality is that PFA voting does take place in February and March, with the nation's professional footballers asked for their choice of the season's best player with up to three months of the campaign still to play. That explains why David Ginola won the gong in the season United won the Treble and why five of six nominees (for 'nominees', read top six in the voting) for this year's award play for a United side currently unconvincing and porous.

United could still prove to be the best and most successful team of 08/09, but to argue that five of the six most impressive players in the Premier League this season play for the Old Trafford side is plain ridiculous. Where's Frank Lampard? Where's Xabi Alonso? We'd ask where Phil Jagielka or Brede Hangeland are but we know better about the intelligence of footballers.

As it is, the list of nominees looks like one put together by a group of six-year-olds in Manchester asked to name their favourite player.

Giggs is clearly a vote for sentiment, but voting for a keeper who has barely made a memorable save all season tells you all you need to know about the attention span of footballers - they cast their vote at a time when VDS was all over the newspapers as the clean sheet record-breaking goalkeeper. Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic deserve any accolades they receive, but it's barely even conceivable that Ronaldo could win a third consecutive award despite a season of stroppery and precious little else.

We cannot expect footballers to think outside the box - or even understand the phrase - but they should at least be given every chance of making a more informed decision on an award that is held in such high esteem.

Will Giggs or Ronaldo or whoever not feel slightly daft looking at a picture of themselves holding up a Player of the Year award in late April if Liverpool go on to to win the Premier League with a raft of goals from Fernando Torres or Chelsea win the Champions League thanks to a series of dominating performances from Frank Lampard?

As it is, the award should be renamed the PFA Player Who Was In The News In February/March.

As an aside, the only player that the United squad can now vote for is Gerrard. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

First off everyone, remember that this list was voted for in January, so it colours opinions. Why its voted for in January I will never know.

Personally, I can't understand the inclusion of Ferdinand nor VDS.
    I knew the Giggs one was coming, just because he's getting old and he's never won it, and lots of the old players get sentimental etc.

However I think its a bit stupid to not include Ronaldo. Sure he's been ****e by his exceptional standards, but he's still joint high scorer in the PL, and dragging United through lots of games, and is there on merit imo.

For me the list would be:

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Ireland
    Young

That'd be my list.

As for the young players I think its pretty fair. Although I don't see the bother about Rafael being there, he was very good and he played in about 12 games in a row up to Jan. Sure he hasn't played since then due to injury, but the list was voted on in Jan.
    Evans, Ireland, Young, Gabby all deserve to be there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Alonso 33 Games Started 6 as sub, 2 Goals 5 assists

Giggs 21 Games Started 16 as sub, 3 Goals 13 Assists.

Whatever about Giggs been in the list, he has performed better than Alonso this season and if it were between the 2, Giggs everytime this season.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

Giggs - 7 assists
    Not me, Alonso has played maybe 20-25 decent games in 3 years, remember your Messiah tried his best to get rid of in the summer.

He had a decent run of games before Christmas but not good enough to make up for 90% of the time he plays I'm afraid.

Is this a joke ? You have to be joking right ? 20-25 decent games in 3 years ? Along with Gerrard, Alonso has been our most important player this year. He is the reason we are where we are, without a doubt. I havent missed a Liverpool game this season, and Alonso has been orchestrating everything which has resulted in our best title challenge in a long long time.

Ive called you out on this "Alonso was crap for 3 years" talk before Boggles. Its simply not true. He had a sensational first season. Then he had a number of sensational performances in the following few seasons but was mainly just 'good'. Then he had two terrible injuries that wrecked the 07/08 season. This season he is back to his best. Dont know where you are getting 20-25 decent games in 3 years from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

i cant even see why van der sar is on it. in that long run of clean sheets i think he had to make 14 or 15 saves.

I can't believe anybody would make that comment unless it was coming from a biased point of view. Reina has won the keeper award the last few years and has deserved it, you don't see anyone sane arguing that it should have been Paddy Kenny, Roy Carroll or someone equally crap because they got peppered with balls in 5-0 defeats.

Goalkeepers in top teams do far more than just make saves and even the act of making those 14/15 saves is more difficult over that length of time than making as many in one game.

The list is stupidly stilted towards United because they were marching to the title when the voting was done. It just so happens they tripped, fell and broke their snot since then.

Don't see why, he has a pretty average goal return for a striker.

Vidic for me.

Ireland in under 23s.

Gerrard 21 goals in 40 games (3224 mins of play => a goal every 153 mins)

No matter what way you cut it a goal every 153 mins is quite a distance away from an average goal return for a striker. When you include the fact that he played a number of games as CM it just makes the figures look even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

My opinion mate, Your manager agreed with me 7 months ago. :rolleyes:

Ya because his form was relatively poor last season & correct me if Im wrong but is this awatd not for the last seven months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Tusky wrote: »

Is this a joke ? You have to be joking right ? 20-25 decent games in 3 years ? Along with Gerrard, Alonso has been our most important player this year. He is the reason we are where we are, without a doubt. I havent missed a Liverpool game this season, and Alonso has been orchestrating everything which has resulted in our best title challenge in a long long time.

I would love if Lucas was as decent as Alonso.......

Draupnir wrote: »
    I can't believe anybody would make that comment unless it was coming from a biased point of view. Reina has won the keeper award the last few years and has deserved it, you don't see anyone sane arguing that it should have been Paddy Kenny, Roy Carroll or someone equally crap because they got peppered with balls in 5-0 defeats.

Goalkeepers in top teams do far more than just make saves and even the act of making those 14/15 saves is more difficult over that length of time than making as many in one game.

The list is stupidly stilted towards United because they were marching to the title when the voting was done. It just so happens they tripped, fell and broke their snot since then.
    Agreed. VDS has a right to on the list as does Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ah right, didnt know the yearly PFA awards were judged on previous 3 years performances.

Draupnir wrote: »
    I can't believe anybody would make that comment unless it was coming from a biased point of view. Reina has won the keeper award the last few years and has deserved it,quote]

yep your right reina has won the keeper award. not the player of the year award. its disgraceful to say van der sar has done more this year than young, van persie, arteta, cahill, jagielka, agbonlahor, steven ireland. i guess you see me point cos that list goes on and on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The thing I find even most laughable is that people are arguing about in the first place.

Does anyone actually care who wins these stupid awards?

• Advertisement

Ah right, didnt know the yearly PFA awards were judged on previous 3 years performances.

There not, where did I suggest it was. Highlighting the words "3 Years" in one of my posts doesn't count. :rolleyes:

Highsider wrote: »
    Agreed. VDS has a right to on the list as does Rooney.

oh my good holy god people think van der sar should be there. tell me ronaldo should be there too so :rolleyes:

There not, where did I suggest it was. Highlighting the words "3 Years" in one of my posts doesn't count. :rolleyes:

so why mention his form in the last 3 years when were dicussing his form this year? Clicked on the wrong thread maybe? If all 25 of his good perfomrances in the last 3 years then clearly he deserves to be ahead of giggs who hasnt even started 25 games yet this season.

I've never understood why they couldn't wait until the end of the season to complete this and other awards.

Hopefully the flaws shown up this year might make them at least consider changing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

VDS cost Utd quite a few points this season with his flapping about. The record which he had very little to do with shouldn't make people forget that.

so why mention his form in the last 3 years when were dicussing his form this year? Clicked on the wrong thread maybe? If all 25 of his good perfomrances in the last 3 years then clearly he deserves to be ahead of giggs who hasnt even started 25 games yet this season.

Because it was a post in reply to another, mid conversation.

The only thing you seem to be discussing on this thread is me, so your right you might have clicked on the wrong thread - The Boggles is Brilliant Thread is that way
    > ;)

loving the way you ignored the post disproving your Gerrard has an average goalscoring record statement boggles ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    loving the way you ignored the post making a show of your Gerrard has an average goalscoring record boggles ;)

1 in 2 goals for a "top" striker is average Master Alan, not bad, not fantastic, average.

VDS cost Utd quite a few points this season with his flapping about. The record which he had very little to do with shouldn't make people forget that.
    Are you serious? A goalkeeper has nothing to do with a fantastic defensive record? That's a first

• Advertisement

Because it was a post in reply to another, mid conversation.

The only thing you seem to be discussing on this thread is me, so your right you might have clicked on the wrong thread - The Boggles is Brilliant Thread is that way
    > ;)

I hope that way is pointing over to the recycle bin?;)

Here is the post since you cant remember it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59816764&postcount=42

Mr. Alan said that player most United players would want based on this year was alonso but you said it wasn't because of how he has performed in the last 3 years. Also, how does the fact rafa wanted to sell him have any relevance with his performances this season?

1 in 2 goals for a "top" striker is average Master Alan, not bad, not fantastic, average.

He's not striker though. He's an Attacking midfield/forward.

I hope that way is pointing over to the recycle bin?;)

Here is the post since you cant remember it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59816764&postcount=42

Mr. Alan said that player most United players would want based on this year was alonso but you said it wasn't because of how he has performed in the last 3 years. Also, how does the fact rafa wanted to sell him have any relevance with his performances this season?

Read the post again Again Chucky, it discuss's this year. Now move on, I have a girlfriend. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

yep your right reina has won the keeper award. not the player of the year award. its disgraceful to say van der sar has done more this year than young, van persie, arteta, cahill, jagielka, agbonlahor, steven ireland. i guess you see me point cos that list goes on and on

If Reina had got a record of clean sheets in a row you'd be bawling that he should be in the list. It's not that big a deal that VDS is in the list.

one in two (actually about 1 in 1.5 going by mins played iirc) and at least 10 odd of those games were in CM. its outstanding Boggles to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement

Read the post again Again Chucky, it discuss's this year. Now move on, I have a girlfriend. ;)

So that's why your defending giggs so much? And I thought chivalry was dead.;)

Ah come on out of that. It's fantastic. Even more fantastic when you consider he's not a striker per say. Is'nt his record even better than 1 in 2?

Humble and a great sense of Humour, I love Giggsy!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

one in two (actually about 1 in 1.5 going by mins played iirc) and at least 10 odd of those games were in CM. its outstanding Boggles to be perfectly honest.

Ya your right, it's pretty good, but not as good as the top scoring winger who's on 15.

So that's why your defending giggs so much? And I thought chivalry was dead.;)

Don't think Giggs should be in the list.

Don't think Alonso should be in the list.

The argument was Giggs should be nowhere near it and Alonso should definately be in it.

I disagreed, lets move on, tis practically only Monday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement