Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA nominees

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

The best thing about the list is Man United players all have to vote for Stevie G.:pac: Priceless. Would love to see Neville fill out that form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

As a United fan it hurts me to say this but Gerrard is goign to win this. (1) Because AFAIK the United players can't vote for a teammate so therefore they will have to vote for Gerrard and (2) as someone said on a different United forum the Liverpool players will probably vote for the United player with the least chance of winning the award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Highsider wrote: »
    The best thing about the list is Man United players all have to vote for Stevie G.:pac: Priceless. Would love to see Neville fill out that form.

Do they have to vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do they have to vote?

No

Do they have to vote?
    One would imagine so :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5 Utd players who have had less than stellar seasons, pffft! At least Gerrard has done nothing less than what you'd expect him to do.

If Maradona played for Bolton he'd not get nominated.

One would imagine so :eek:

Why? What exactly could they do to the players if they didn't vote?

Boggles wrote: »
    No

Fantastic. So that's a total of nul points for Mr Gerrard from the Manchester United jury :pac: :D

I think the players have already voted, they had to nominate 2 players months ago, don't think they get to vote again.

Why? What exactly could they do to the players if they didn't vote?
    No idea. Jesus it's only an award. Surely United players would'nt be so childish about it, would they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

1 in 2 goals for a "top" striker is average Master Alan, not bad, not fantastic, average.

This is your opinion. Can you prove some back-up for this?

Based on this year's league
    the players who have scored more than 5 goals and have a better than one goal every 180 mins strike rate

Torres
    McCarthy
    Carew
    Ronaldo
    Beattie
    Anelka
    Defoe

the players who have scored more than 5 goals and have a worse than one goal every 180 mins strike rate

Adebayor , Martins , Rooney, Robinho, Zaki, Bent, Owen , Mido, Bednar , Jo, Van Persie, Jones, Fuller, Taylor, Lampard, Bendtner, Cole, Cahill, Roberts, Keane, Cisse, Agbonlahor, Pavlyuchenko, Davies, Bellamy, Crouch, Kalou, Berbatov, Drogba, Dempsey, Fellaini, King, Geovanni, Ireland, Kuyt, Nasri, Johnson A, Tuncay, Brunt, Elmander, Arteta, Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Young A, Barry

No idea. Jesus it's only an award. Surely United players would'nt be so childish about it, would they?

As childish as suggesting Liverpool players will vote for the United player they think has the least chance of winning the award or splitting their votes evenly between the United players.

I don't know. If the situations were reveresed and it was 5 Liverpool players and Gary Neville would the Liverpool players vote for him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

deisedevil wrote: »
    Ya your right, it's pretty good, but not as good as the top scoring winger who's on 15.

i agree with Ronaldos inclusion tbh, dont think i don't just cause of who i support, i am quite a level headed bloke i'd like to think! ;)

Its also worth noting though when comparing to Ronaldo, that Gerrard makes a considerably greater contribution to a teams overall play, defensively as well as offensively.

This is your opinion. Can you prove some back-up for this?

Based on this year's league
    the players who have scored more than 5 goals and have a better than one goal every 180 mins strike rate

Torres
    McCarthy
    Carew
    Ronaldo
    Beattie
    Anelka
    Defoe

the players who have scored more than 5 goals and have a worse than one goal every 180 mins strike rate

Adebayor , Martins , Rooney, Robinho, Zaki, Bent, Owen , Mido, Bednar , Jo, Van Persie, Jones, Fuller, Taylor, Lampard, Bendtner, Cole, Cahill, Roberts, Keane, Cisse, Agbonlahor, Pavlyuchenko, Davies, Bellamy, Crouch, Kalou, Berbatov, Drogba, Dempsey, Fellaini, King, Geovanni, Ireland, Kuyt, Nasri, Johnson A, Tuncay, Brunt, Elmander, Arteta, Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Young A, Barry

Why do I have to back it up, your list does that for me. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

1 in 2 goals for a "top" striker is average Master Alan, not bad, not fantastic, average.

If one goal every two games is only average - then these guys are below average ?

Rooney career totals : 300 games 110 goals
    Berbatov career totals : 396 games 186 goals
    Tevez career totals : 247 games 96 goals

A goal every 2 games is a great return. As usual, youre talking ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i agree with Ronaldos inclusion tbh, dont think i don't just cause of who i support, i am quite a level headed bloke i'd like to think! ;)

Its also worth noting though when comparing to Ronaldo, that Gerrard makes a considerably greater contribution to a teams overall play, defensively as well as offensively.

No doubt about it. But I wasn't comparing Ronaldo to Gerrard. There's no comparison this year, Gerrard did more than Ronaldo did overall and would deserve it over Ronaldo at least.

I don't know. If the situations were reveresed and it was 5 Liverpool players and Gary Neville would the Liverpool players vote for him ?
    Why not? If he was the best player that season then he would deserve it. Let's face it that's never going to happen (Neville getting on the shortlist) that is.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol what a joke. VDS, Evans and Rafael? Ridiculous.

Schwarzer should be in there definitely, with the likes of Jagielka deserving recognition. Agbonlahor and Young are just lucky the nominations were made months ago.

Superman better win that young player award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PHB wrote: »

However I think its a bit stupid to not include Ronaldo. Sure he's been ****e by his exceptional standards, but he's still joint high scorer in the PL, and dragging United through lots of games, and is there on merit imo.

If Ronaldo is there then Anelka should be too. Same number of goals. Same lack of effort. Same appalling attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If the voting was done in February then I reckon Vidic will win it

But if that's the case then it's a good demonstration of why voting shouldn't be done in February!

Dunno how so many United players ended up there tbh

Why not? If he was the best player that season then he would deserve it. Let's face it that's never going to happen (Neville getting on the shortlist) that is.:D

Not from here on in but it's interseting to note that Gary Neville has been on the PFA team of the year more times than any other defender (5 times) and that he is second only to Giggs (7 times) overall. He's at the end of his career now (I think he should have finished up already) but love him or hate him (most hate him) he's arguably the most successful English defender of all time.

If Ronaldo is there then Anelka should be too. Same number of goals. Same lack of effort. Same appalling attitude.

Lol. Very good point. Ronaldos only on there for his goals and if that's the case Le Sulk deserves his spot aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think the fact that VDS only made a couple of saves in the run of clean sheets shows that it wasnt down to him. He was a spectator in most of it, which is why he shouldnt be on the list.

Why do I have to back it up, your list does that for me. ;)

See I would have thought that my list explains quite clearly why you are wrong - perhaps you would care to point out how my list proves the statement
    1 in 2 goals for a "top" striker is average

Since only seven other players beside Gerrard have managed to break the ratio of a goal every two games how do you still reckon it's average?

40 games 21 goals (3224 mins/just under 36 full games) playing a number of games in CM. Can the people who don't think he should win this please make some sort of case?

This discussion started because you said
    Don't see why, he has a pretty average goal return for a striker.

Nice to see you've promoted him up from striker to top striker;)

Gerrard's ratio this season is a goal every 153 mins. Is there anyone else who comes near?

21 goals in 40 appearance - (3324 mins= just under 36 full games)
    Can anyone who thinks Gerrard shouldn't win please put forward some reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I don't have the green-tinted glasses saying this - it'd be a disgrace if Ireland doesn't win the Young Player of the Year.

Gerrard's ratio this season is a goal every 153 mins. Is there anyone else who comes near?

Torres?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Torres?

;)

Macheda :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't have the green-tinted glasses saying this - it'd be a disgrace if Ireland doesn't win the Young Player of the Year.

Given the opposition in the category, certainly.

From a United perspective, I reckon Raf could have ran him close had he not picked up a few injuries that have limited his chances to play, but when it comes down to it, neither he no Evans have played nearly enough to really merit it. On top of that, Ireland has had his best season, and has been the standout player for City

Macheda? ;)

Edit: Damn you Herbie!!

• Advertisement

Macheda :)

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that he wasn't nominated for the young player award.

I'm presuming they'll invent some sort of honourary award though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

As a Utd supporter the list is hard to comprehend. Vidic is the only Utd player I would nominate. Other players I would like to see would be Clint Dempsey and Danny Murphy off Fulham. Much as this hurts if Giggs gets nominated for the amount of time played well the Torres should have been nominated. I think a tribunal of inquiry is needed here :D:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

if Van Der Saar been in there for the run of Clean sheets why has Renia never been nominated after all he has won the golden gloves 3 seasons in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that he wasn't nominated for the young player award.

I'm presuming they'll invent some sort of honourary award though.

Haha, I jest. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If Rafael deserves to be there, i really think Insua does as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't get what people's problem with Johnny Evans being there is.
    He's played an awful lot of games for the best defence in the league, and is very young.

the ratio of a goal every two games how do you still reckon it's average?

40 games 21 goals (3224 mins/just under 36 full games) playing a number of games in CM. Can the people who don't think he should win this please make some sort of case?

It's the average for the top striker, Eto, RVN are above average goal scorers. It was pointed out that Gerrard should be a shoe in for the award, I pointed out that he has done well, not bad not fantastic for a striker. See Torres last season for an example of above average.

Gerrard isn't even top striker in the league.

See I would have thought that my list explains quite clearly why you are wrong - perhaps you would care to point out how my list proves the statement

Since only seven other players beside Gerrard have managed to break the ratio of a goal every two games how do you still reckon it's average?

This discussion started because you said

21 goals in 40 appearance - (3324 mins= just under 36 full games)
    Can anyone who thinks Gerrard shouldn't win please put forward some reasons?

Isn't the PFA award just based on English Premier league games?

If so then:

Gerrard: 2270 mins played

13 goals

174.6 mins

Ronaldo: 2325 mins played

15 goals

155 mins

Obviously overall Gerrard has been much better this year.

Playing for Man United >>>>>> 29 games, 8 goals and 7 assists, tbh.

Rafael made has played a poxy 11 games this season (9 starts) while Evans only played SEVEN games by the middle of February, which is when the voting was supposedly done.

How the likes of Jack Collison, David Wheater and Antonio Valencia have been overlooked in favour of them two is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i could be wrong, but didn't insua only start making regular appearances recently, since after christmas?

• Advertisement

Torres?

;)

His goal to min ratio is a miserable one goal every 164 mins, which is just shocking really.

He's only scored 14 goals in just under 26 full games this season. Pitiful really

Have a word Mr Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Without a doubt. The list is rediculas to be honest. The only 2 candidates I agree with are Vidic and Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

No Gareth Barry? :eek:

It's the average for the top striker, Eto, RVN are above average goal scorers. It was pointed out that Gerrard should be a shoe in for the award, I pointed out that he has done well, not bad not fantastic for a striker. See Torres last season for an example of above average.

Gerrard isn't even top striker in the league.

you are aware that Gerrard plays a different position to Eto'o, RVN & Torres....right?

he is a central midfielder who has been converted to a forward/AM, while still playing a fair few games in CM (probably about the same amount of games Giggs started this year at a guess) whereas the others you mentioned are out & out strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lint316 wrote: »
    Without a doubt. The list is rediculas to be honest. The only 2 candidates I agree with are Vidic and Gerrard

Van der Saar is prob there due to the clean sheets. They couldnt over look them I suppose.

As influencial Giggs has been at times, its a joke his name is mentioned in that list. Ronaldo, ah i dunno - he's been okay. Average by the high standards he set for himself. Maybe Alonso and Schwarzer feel hard done by

Didn't know the Fonz won it last year??? :eek:

.ronaldopfaaward412.jpg

you are aware that Gerrard plays a different position to Eto'o, RVN & Torres....right?

He is striker Alan, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Darren Bent has a great goals to minutes ratio can't find it tho i'll post if i find it

Dammit it's 194 mins to every premier league goal. that doesn't include his other 5 tho

PHB wrote: »
    I don't get what people's problem with Johnny Evans being there is.

I'll tell you why there's a problem,
    He's played an awful lot of games for the best defence in the league

SEVEN by mid-February, out of a possible 24.
    and is very young.

21 is not 'very young' in footballing terms, especially for a young player award.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's any need to be too bothered about who has been nominated anyways. It's down to Gerrard or Vidic and either of them winning it wouldn't be at all unfair.

Edit: Ireland has got to be a nailed on cert for Young PFA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement