Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA nominees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you are aware that Gerrard plays a different position to Eto'o, RVN & Torres....right?

ye he plays 4.46784 metres behind the top man, so thats in the hole, the roaming role, the playmaker role most of the time now. Not a striker but I'd call it a foward role more so than midfield. Its only a title either way, we'll all agree on its his best position!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Boggles wrote: »
    It's the average for the top striker, Eto, RVN are above average goal scorers. It was pointed out that Gerrard should be a shoe in for the award, I pointed out that he has done well, not bad not fantastic for a striker. See Torres last season for an example of above average.

Gerrard isn't even top striker in the league.

Gerrard has played games in midfield too. And he doesn't play as far forward as Torres, and does more tracking back than many.
    i could be wrong, but didn't insua only start making regular appearances recently, since after christmas?

true, but he has nearly as many apps as Rafael, and would have more if he wasn't dragged off to the South American U20s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    PHB wrote: »
    21 is not 'very young' in footballing terms, especially for a young player award.

Break through season, not his fault he hasn't been considered before.

21 is young for a Centre Back, name a better at his age in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Break through season, not his fault he hasn't been considered before.

7 games out of 24 is not much of a breakthrough.
    21 is young for a Centre Back, name a better at his age in the league?

David Wheater was 21 last season and was exceptional. Has continued to impress this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gerrard has played games in midfield too. And he doesn't play as far forward as Torres, and does more tracking back than many.

true, but he has nearly as many apps as Rafael, and would have more if he wasn't dragged off to the South American U20s.

But with the voting done so early (stupidly) he wouldn't have made many appearances byt he time voting came round. While he may have a similar number of games to Raf, Raf's came early in the season and the ones he has missed through injury have probably come to late to effect the voting.

• Advertisement

But with the voting done so early (stupidly) he wouldn't have made many appearances byt he time voting came round. While he may have a similar number of games to Raf, Raf's came early in the season and the ones he has missed through injury have probably come to late to effect the voting.

I'm not arguing with the logic/mindset of those voting. I'm just saying, all things being equal, neither deserve to be there really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ha. Utd fan here and that list is a complete joke. We have had so many underperforming players this year and to get 5/6 is laughable.

Whats even worse is when someone says what's he done and within 2 minutes someone posts up goals and assists numbers. People have to realise that footballers do so much more. What has separated Gerrard and Ronaldo this year (as their stats are close enough) is Gerrard's all round contribution. He runs the game for Pool at times, he links up better with his team mates, he's a leader on the pitch and he sets the tone for many Pool victories. With Ronaldo, sure we get the goals and a few assists thrown in but imo his all round game has so many flaws. Not to mention he's got it into his head that he's God and is untouchable.

Gerrard v Vida for me. Not sure who the winner will be but would love to see Vida get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

My lists would be

PFA Players' Player of the Year contenders:

Rio Ferdinand - Manchester United
    Steven Gerrard - Liverpool
    Mark Schwartzer - Fulham
    Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United
    Xavi Alonso - Liverpool
    Nemanja Vidic - Manchester United

PFA Young Player of the Year contenders:

Gabriel Agbonlahor - Aston Villa
    Denilson - Arsenal
    Stephen Ireland - Manchester City
    Aaron Lennon - Tottenham Hotspur
    Rafael - Manchester United
    Ashley Young - Aston Villa

7 games out of 24 is not much of a breakthrough.

He is up against the best CB partnership in the world the past couple of seasons.

David Wheater was 21 last season and was exceptional. Has continued to impress this year too.

Wheater has been decent, but tis a whole different kettle of fish playing for United, even you would have to admit that Xavi.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Trilla wrote: »
    My lists would be

PFA Players' Player of the Year contenders:

Rio Ferdinand - Manchester United
    Steven Gerrard - Liverpool
    Mark Schwartzer - Fulham
    Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United
    Xavi Alonso - Liverpool
    Nemanja Vidic - Manchester United

PFA Young Player of the Year contenders:

Gabriel Agbonlahor - Aston Villa
    Denilson - Arsenal
    Stephen Ireland - Manchester City
    Aaron Lennon - Tottenham Hotspur
    Rafael - Manchester United
    Ashley Young - Aston Villa

Macheda should win both awards;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

It's the average for the top striker, Eto, RVN are above average goal scorers. It was pointed out that Gerrard should be a shoe in for the award, I pointed out that he has done well, not bad not fantastic for a striker. See Torres last season for an example of above average.

Gerrard isn't even top striker in the league.

So you've gone from saying 1 on 2 is average for a striker, to average for a top striker, to average for the top striker.

Hmmm I see what you did there.;)

I don't think that many would agree with your comparision of the role Gerrard plays with the role played by Eto and RVN. FFS he's not even the top striker in the Liverpool team - that's one Fernando Torres. Pretty much everyone would agree that he is a support striker - yes he's a forward but he not an out-and-out striker. He's also played a number of games in CM this season. There is also the fact that Gerrard has a pretty creditable 7 assists in the league.There is no way that describing the 21 goals in 40 games playing the position Gerrard does as average is an accurate statement of affairs.

He is up against the best CB partnership in the world the past couple of seasons.

So because he's a good back up player he should be put in ahead of people who have played all season? Collison and Valencia to name but two.
    Wheater has been decent, but tis a whole different kettle of fish playing for United, even you would have to admit that Xavi.

But that's the thing, Evans hasn't played for United. He's been used as a bit part fill in player. Is that enough to be classed as one of the best 6 young players of the year? Not in my book it isn't.

He's also played a number of games in CM this season.

Where he has been very poor IMO, this was at the start of the season, should it be ignored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Someone I just thought of who should have been considered for theYoung Player Award this year is Denilson.
    Hasn't missed a minute of any Premier League game so far this season.
    Or even Nasri.

Neither of them have been superb but both are much more deserving of a place in the list that Rafeal or Evans.

And both of them are just players I tohught of off the top of my head for Arsenal. there's so many more deserving of a place across the League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Where he has been very poor IMO, this was at the start of the season, should it be ignored?

Can you point out how he was
    very poor
    in these start of the season games?

I can't remember any very poor performances.
    What I can remember is that he had games where he was much less efffective in terms of being a goal threat due to the fact that he was playing so far from goal.

When he was playing CM he was dropping back and picking the ball up off the CBs when they were in possession and starting off attacks. As a result he had a lot more distance to make up to get in and around the box where he would pose a goal threat.

As he was being playing in CM as opposed to SS this was to be expected given that they are different roles. However I can't remember any games where he had what could be described as a
    very poor
    performance. There were games where he wasnt as effective but I don't think this equates to
    very poor
    . Perhaps you could supply some examples?

Also I'm sure that as a result of thes game playing in the CM his goals per game ratio went down.;)

So because he's a good back up player he should be put in ahead of people who have played all season? Collison and Valencia to name but two.

He has played more than Collison.

Valenica has fallen away, but going form at the start of the season I'd have him in, maybe.

As for Wheater, like the discussion we had similar with Richards last year, he has been part of a defense that have slipped what 100 goals in 2 seasons, not the same pressure not in the same ball park as playing for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Quick question - do you actually think Gerrard does not deserve to win it?

I hate the guy and think he is vastly over-rated as a central midfielder, but he has had a better season this season than anyone else I can think of. Individually, i think it has been a fairly poor season for the established world stars of the premier league, for various reasons, and Gerrard has been the standout over all of them for me. I can't see how Gerrard doesn't win it, though Vidic will run him close depending on when the voting was done.

Quick question - do you actually think Gerrard does not deserve to win it?

Vidic for me.

To show I'm not biased, I'd honestly have Kuyt in the list before Giggs.

He has played more than Collison.

Collison has played 16 games, Evans 12.

Pre-mid Feb it's still 13 - 7 in favour of Collison.

Valenica has fallen away, but going form at the start of the season I'd have him in, maybe.[/quote]

Again, pre-February is what counts and Valencia was awesome from August til around then.

Sorry mate but I think you're pissing into the wind on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Congrats to Gabby Agbonlahor & Ashley Young, both would be worthy winners of the Young Player of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Highsider wrote: »
    Laughable
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Congrats to Gabby Agbonlahor & Ashley Young, both would be worthy winners of the Young Player of the year.

13341pi.jpg

How about Superman.

have you ever seen Agbonlahor playing?
    Have you ever seen him control a ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/top_scorers/default.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In actual fact, i think you'll find he was quite outstanding when playin in CM early in the season. I also remember PHB coming online & complimenting him on his performances there, as he thought he was no longer of dominating games there or performing in a standard CM role.
    To show I'm not biased, I'd honestly have Kuyt in the list before Giggs.

So would i. but that doesnt show you're not biased, just proves wat i said earlier,you're mental. saying you think Kuyt has been better than Alonso for us this season, which is what you are saying in a round about way, is mental.

who would be in your list boggles? honestly.

I have, up close and personal in fact. Have you? are you even aware of what he has done?

Only RVP, Lampard & Berbatov have more assists in the PL then Gabby.

Only Gerrard, Lampard, Anelka, Davies & Ronaldo have more goals.

All this and he is still raw as ****, plenty more to come from him next season.

JPA wrote: »

I don’t care how many goals he’s scored this season – Villa are a worse team for his inclusion imo. He’s probably the most one-dimensional player in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Header for the F365 article.
    Manchester United dominate the PFA awards list with Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Edwin Van der Sar, Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo (yes, really) being joined by Steven Gerrard. So no place for Frank Lampard or Xabi Alonso, never mind the likes of Phil Jagielka. Should footballers be trusted to judge footballers?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So would i. but that doesnt show you're not biased, just proves wat i said earlier,you're mental. saying you think Kuyt has been better than Alonso for us this season, which is what you are saying in a round about way, is mental.

Similar in a roundabout way your calling your manager mental, I think Kuyt, along with Gerrard and Torres have been yer 3 best players this season.

It's not mental it's an opinion, just because it doesn't match yours doesn't mean I belong in a secure wing.

I don't rate Alonso, I think he is a decent midfield player, who before Christmas had a run of decent games. This is not a new opinion, I had the same one last summer before you manager decided to put him on adverts.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don’t care how many goals he’s scored this season – Villa are a worse team for his inclusion imo. He’s probably the most one-dimensional player in the league

Seems like his dimension works out pretty well for him.

He is still young and if he hadn't had Heskey beside him for that blip period his stats would be even better imo. Yeah when he's off form he looks crap, but he was a key player in Villas now aborted race for 4th. I'd give it to Ash over Gabby, but i'd give the award to both of them over Lennon or Ireland who have been treading water in the bottom half of the PL for most of the season.

JPA wrote: »
    Seems like his dimension works out pretty well for him.

maybe it does, but his career will have already peaked unless he magically learns some basic technique/football intelligence.

I honestly think Villa would be a much better side without him in it.

Barry, Petrov, Reo Coker
    Milner, Young
    Carew

would be a pretty good side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Giggs? This really is a sham of an award. He has 1 goal, something like 6/7 assists in the league. Has played something between a third and a half of the amount of time that has been played so far this season. I know stats arent the be all and end all but I cant belive some people justify his selection. I cant remember the last time I heard a Man U fan saying, why isnt Giggs starting?

My list FWIW
    Ireland - has just been fantastic this season
    Gerrard - now a SS so has to be judged on stats, 26 games, 1 sub 13 goals not sure about assists but im sure he has a few aswell as his all round contribution to Liverpool this season
    Rooney - has been great this season, if he had of been out this for any lenght of time Utd would of struggled. His goal return not great 8/9 but he is the most influential Utd player for me.
    Vidic - run of clean sheets, has just been consistantly good except has been a little shaky lately.
    Hangeland - havnt seen much of Fulham play but when I have he has been a rock at the back. Has definately been one of the best players this season.
    Lampard/Alonso/Felliani/Valencia - any of these couldnt be argued with getting the last spot.

As for the YP, Ireland should walk away with that no point discussing.
    But wheres Macheda:pac: hes surely in with a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

They should replace Giggs with Zonal Marking tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Fromvert wrote: »
    But wheres Macheda:pac: hes surely in with a shout.

+1 Gerrard on the list ahead of Macheda the wonderkid, makes me sick
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Another player who deserves a mention would be Schwarzer has been playing out of his skin for Fulham.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Alonso 33 Games Started 6 as sub, 2 Goals 5 assists

Giggs 21 Games Started 16 as sub, 3 Goals 13 Assists.

Whatever about Giggs been in the list, he has performed better than Alonso this season and if it were between the 2, Giggs everytime this season.
    Not me, Alonso has played maybe 20-25 decent games in 3 years, remember your Messiah tried his best to get rid of in the summer.

He had a decent run of games before Christmas but not good enough to make up for 90% of the time he plays I'm afraid.

Boggles your views are quite odd, and I'm being very kind when I say that.

Different positions. One's a DPL and the other plays LW and everynow and again SS or AM for godness sake.

Alonso is our Pirlo, a creative playmaker who keeps thinks ticking over and is the link between defence and attack. I do believe he should score a few more goals. But with Gerrard and Torres infront of you, it's hard for the rest of team to score :pac: Alonso is one of the best passer's of a ball if not the best currently in the world.

He would be my Liverpool Player of the Season and I'm not alone in thinking that.

He is certainly mertis his place in the Liverpool starting XI, thinking otherwise is simply insane.

Oh as for the list, it's a crock of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Boggles your views are quite odd, and I'm being very kind when I say that.

Different positions. One's a DPL and the other plays LW and everynow and again SS or AM for godness sake.
    <snip>
    Oh as for the list, it's a crock of ****.
    Not only are they odd, but they are incorrect. But lets not let inaccuracies get in the way of a good anti-Liverpool argument :).

two questions.

Why the f*ck is Alonso not in this? Shocking.

Giggs??? Is this a late April fool?

He would be my Liverpool Player of the Season and I'm not alone in thinking that.

Just because your not alone in your opinion doesn't make it correct.
    He is certainly mertis his place in the Liverpool starting XI, thinking otherwise is simply insane.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rafa try and offload him again in the summer TBH.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    two questions.

Why the f*ck is Alonso not in this? Shocking.

I'd imagine because of his inconsistencies which led to Rafa droppng him and trying to sell him, if the voting is based on the league between Feb 2008 and Feb 2009. Tis not shocking.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rafa try and offload him again in the summer TBH.

You think giggs had a better season than Alonso?

You think giggs had a better season that Alonso?

Definately, Yes.

So do the majority of the professional footballers in the league appartently.

Definately, Yes.

fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. To have 5 united players in the top 6 is a bit of a joke, they have hardly been the standout team this season.

Then again the voting is done in Feb I think which is ridiculous and united were looking good for the league then before they got spanked

Definately, Yes.

yes, but they're all fools who bought into the media hype The Times fueled. Mr Kay, hang your head in shame.

Then again the voting is done in Feb I think which is ridiculous and united were looking good for the league then before they got spanked

United not looking good for the league now? :confused:

yes, but they're all fools who bought into the media hype The Times fueled. Mr Kay, hang your head in shame.

Tis always someones fault isn't it?

Definately, Yes.

You would be one of the few who thinks this. Whats is Giggs's inconsistancies? Let me think hmmm....
    ... I got it Not Playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Definately, Yes.

TBH.

United not looking good for the league now? :confused:

of course they are :rolleyes:

They had it more or less sewn up then and were well clear, things have changed slighty since.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement