Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA nominees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah its an individual award, and Ireland has had a great individual season, but it was for a team that spent most of the time hovering above the relegation zone and couldn't buy a win on the road. Its a lot easier to stand out in a poorly performing team.

"Most of the time"? What are you on about? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

S.M.B. wrote: »
    it doesn't matter if ireland is over-rated (which i really don't think he is), or if young is the future of english football

it's only about who had a better season
    Clearly Young's season is the reason I think he is the future of English football.
    Liam O wrote: »
    yeah like Stuart Downing was 2 years ago :rolleyes:

Ashley Young and Stuart Downing are 2 different people and completely different players, wheres the point in your post I'm missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

yeah like Stuart Downing was 2 years ago :rolleyes:

PicardFacepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

here, i really rate young, he's a fantastic player

but ireland has been phenomenal at times this year

and i actually think young has underperformed this season

Xavi6 wrote: »
    "Most of the time"? What are you on about? Seriously?

What are you on about? the one shining light in Citys crappy season is apparently young player of the year over and above Young who helped take Villa into the CL places? A player of the month twice in a row, won games on his own?.

City have done feck all this season, Ireland might have been impressive in your run to 11th in the PL, when he's impressing in a team thats actually competing for something he'll become a candidate for the award?

here, i really rate young, he's a fantastic player

but ireland has been phenomenal at times this year

and i actually think young has underperformed this season

To be fair, Young, Petrov and Laursen alone were pretty much the only reasons Villa were flying so high. It isn't Young's fault that Gabby completely lost form, and O'Neill insisted in playing Heskey. Young has been particularly fantastic in these last 3 games.

Ireland has been the star man in a team full of players who made him look great in comparison.

What are you on about?

Lol, you said we were a team that spent most of our time hovering above the relegation zone. Can you back that up with facts please?
    the one shining light in Citys crappy season is apparently young player of the year over and above Young who helped take Villa into the CL places?

Briefly.

He also helped take them back out of them again.
    A player of the month twice in a row, won games on his own?.

Since Christmas he has been piss poor by the high standards he set himself.
    City have done feck all this season, Ireland might have been impressive in your run to 11th in the PL, when he's impressing in a team thats actually competing for something he'll become a candidate for the award?

Lol and what exactly are Villa competing for? Trophies? 4th spot? Or maybe just 5th with Everton?

You'd swear you were actually challenging for the title.

DSB wrote: »
    To be fair, Young, Petrov and Laursen alone were pretty much the only reasons Villa were flying so high. It isn't Young's fault that Gabby completely lost form, and O'Neill insisted in playing Heskey. Young has been particularly fantastic in these last 3 games.

Ireland has been the star man in a team full of players who made him look great in comparison.
    No, it's not his fault but it's obviously a factor to consider when judging the player of the season.

And Young has been particularly fantastic in these last 3 games? Really?

Lol, you said we were a team that spent most of our time hovering above the relegation zone. Can you back that up with facts please?

Have City not spent most of the season in the bottom half of the table? They certainly weren't near the the top half where i was looking.

Lol and what exactly are Villa competing for? Trophies? 4th spot? Or maybe just 5th with Everton?

You'd swear you were actually challenging for the title.

LOL indeed, looks like we're settling for 5th after our failed CL bid, when was last time City finished 5th in the top division? 20 years ago? 30 years ago? when was the last time they won anything? (play offs don't count)

Have City not spent most of the season in the bottom half of the table? They certainly weren't near the the top half where i was looking.

You must not have been looking for the past few months so as we've only just slipped back into the bottom half.

Like you we've been fighting for a Uefa Cup spot.
    LOL indeed, looks like we're settling for 5th after our failed CL bid, when was last time City finished 5th in the top division? 20 years ago? 30 years ago? when was the last time they won anything? (play offs don't count)

Early 90s under Peter Reid.

We also failed in a Champions League bid, it just happened a little earlier than you. Either way, a fail is a fail is a fail. There's always next year.

Anyhoo, Ireland is far more deserving of the award then Young imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

United >>> (City + Villa)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Clearly Young's season is the reason I think he is the future of English football.

Ashley Young and Stuart Downing are 2 different people and completely different players, wheres the point in your post I'm missing?

The point is that once an English player starts to put in above average performances they are seen as 'the future' and 9 times out of 10 they are just above average players-nothing special

Ireland has exceeded all expectations of him this season, Ashley Young has too but Ireland has been more important to City than Young has to Villa who have had other standout players this season which I can't really say about City

Ireland has exceeded all expectations of him this season, Ashley Young has too but Ireland has been more important to City than Young has to Villa who have had other standout players this season which I can't really say about City

What a crock of ****, of course Ireland has been more important, because Villa are a good team and City are not.

What a crock of ****, of course Ireland has been more important, because Villa are a good team and City are not.

yeah and it's easier to look good on a team playing well than a team in turmoil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ireland has been consistently exceptional this season, he's really come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

This Season
    Ireland >>> Young

Overall Better Player
    Ireland <<< Young

Answer to the question: Who wins YP award?
    Easy, Ireland.

It doesnt matter were City or Villa are in the leagu, its an individual award. If that was the case no one in the bottom half would ever win an award. Im a Pool fan by the way (if that matters).

Fromvert wrote: »
    If that was the case no one in the bottom half would ever win an award.

*clears phlegm*

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7908459.stm

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match : Man City's Stephen Ireland

enough of the over biased comments

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7908459.stm

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match : Man City's Stephen Ireland

enough of the over biased comment

Ok, now I admit it, you've proven me wrong.

• Advertisement

At the start of the season when Robinho was playing some fantastic football and Ireland was still getting MOTMs over him really says a lot

If you want to use an argument like that, all the way up to February, Villa were in 3rd place in the Premiership, and Ashley Young was getting MOTMs every week in that team, then he must be the best by default.

yeah but there's nobody as good as Robinho on Villa ;) Villa as a team are miles ahead of City so naturally Young is going to get more recognition than Ireland in the same way that United will always be on MOTD before Stoke

yeah but there's nobody as good as Robinho on Villa ;) Villa as a team are miles ahead of City so naturally Young is going to get more recognition than Ireland in the same way that United will always be on MOTD before Stoke

And in the same way that Man Utd players will always win player of the year because they're better players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm a Villa fan but Ireland has been on a similar level to A.Young this season IMO.
    Consistently City's best player.
    Who will win is just up to the opinion of the players.

Young was however even better last season, whereas Ireland was quite inconsistent, but then I don't think he was a regular last year. not sure about that.

Overall, I would have to say Young is currently the better player but that's just based on the fact that I know he can do it consistently while Ireland only has this season ATM. That could change if Ireland continues his form next season and beyond.

In saying that, it's hard to really say one is better than the other as their positions are so different. Young can win a game on his own, while Ireland needs his team-mates to work with him to show him at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

ok after all the arguments is it fair enough to assume that these nominations with very VERY few exceptions are the biggest pile of bollox there has ever been in the history of the world. I include the nazi party in the 30's as a pile of bollox also

• Advertisement

I would put it the opposite way around actually. How many assists does Young have again ;)

Iang87 wrote: »
    ok after all the arguments is it fair enough to assume that these nominations with very VERY few exceptions are the biggest pile of bollox there has ever been in the history of the world. I include the nazi party in the 30's as a pile of bollox also

do the players not choose the nominees as well?

I would put it the opposite way around actually. How many assists does Young have again ;)

What do you mean? Ireland has 8 assists, Young 7.
    Ireland has 8 goals, Young has 5. In the league that is.

Hmm, never checked, sorry, just assumed he had more. So Ireland has more goals and more assists? Why are we having this conversation then ;)

Hmm, never checked, sorry, just assumed he had more. So Ireland has more goals and more assists? Why are we having this conversation then ;)

Well all I'm saying is they have been on a similar level. You can't break things down to stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

do the players not choose the nominees as well?

clearly shows that these players dont watch football a whole lot if thats what they came up with

Iang87 wrote: »
    clearly shows that these players dont watch football a whole lot if thats what they came up with

I'd imagine the winner is already known as well. The 6 nominees were the 6 with the most votes.

How bloody hard is it to have a quick vote at the end of the season?

Because Ashley Young offers miles more than just goals and assists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Good attempt but thats not what I was saying at all, his form season still is nothing on someone with the genuine class of Young. Young wouldn't look out of his depth playing against the top sides in the Champions League, and has been impressive in all the games against the big sides this year. Ireland would be miles out of his depth playing for someone like Chelsea or United.
    Ireland is more than capable of playing alongside the best players in the world. His game intelligence is clearly on that level and hasn't shown any signs that his confidence would cave in.

Because Ashley Young offers miles more than just goals and assists.

So does Stephen Ireland. His defensive qualities have been there for all to see this season, and it has made him a superb all round midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The senior award is a joke!

Whatever about the goals and assists, it's the tackle at 2.20 that sums up how much his game has come and how rounded a player he is. That was a quick break from our corner and he ran back 80 yards to make the tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

How can people be shocked about the list being dominated by the best performing team in the premiership this year?

Anyway, PFA - Gerrard or Vidic.

YPFA - Stephen Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

IvySlayer wrote: »
    How can people be shocked about the list being dominated by the best performing team in the premiership this year?

Anyway, PFA - Gerrard or Vidic.

YPFA - Stephen Ireland.

What you mean...only Gerrard is nominated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think gerrard and Ireland myself I wonder will Ireland still be at city next year he's come on so much he might be tempted to move for champions league football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think gerrard and Ireland myself I wonder will Ireland still be at city next year he's come on so much he might be tempted to move for champions league football

nobody could afford him. I think if someone had gone in for him last summer they might have got him. But no chance now. I could see him doing great things were he at Arsenal alongside Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Vidic & Ireland.

I was shocked when i saw the nominees. Giggs has been exellent for United this year, but his selection is purely sentimental. Stephen Ireland has been better than everyone in contention to win the main award.

Rafael Da Silva would be in contention for the main award had he not been injured these last few months. People that didnt watch him week in week out early season would not know he was in breathtaking form.

Rio has been hampered by injuries all season. Clean sheet run got him a spot.

Arnt these things voted for in like January or February? If they are then that explains United dominance as we were **** hot then. Either way that should not excuse that Alonso, Lampard and Van Persie should be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Rafael Da Silva would be in contention for the main award had he not been injured these last few months.

Give me ******* strength.
    He was not breathtaking by any stretch of the imagination. He looked comfortable and not out of place in the PL, nothing more He looked like a very talented attacking player who definitely needs to improve defensively, but has obvious talent. You think that's all that's required to be nominated for player of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

The list is a farce. Ferdinand was missing for most of the clean sheet run, O'Shea had more mins on the pitch than him in the run.

Giggs is sentiment, Ronaldo a joke, Vidic OK with but IMO he has gone off the boil so out of it. Raphael is the biggest one. How many games has he played?

Gerrard and Ireland. Ireland should have had nominations in both.

A lot of player who have performed well in average teams over looked. Jaekielka, Cahill, Lescott, Im not an Everton supporter but with the amount of injuries they had this year the above stood out.

It will be interesting to see the premier league team of the season. Raphael will probably be in at right full:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He was not breathtaking by any stretch of the imagination. He looked comfortable and not out of place in the PL, nothing more He looked like a very talented attacking player who definitely needs to improve defensively, but has obvious talent. You think that's all that's required to be nominated for player of the year?

raf shouldnt be in the list

but he was superb against city where he had to mark Robino and the games he did play he wasnt out of sorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cant help you with that.

As for the rest of the post, why do you care so bloody much? I love Rafael, i think he is unreal. Clearly i am not the only one who thinks that way. You said he was good, but not good enough to be nominated, well, nominations mean **** all.

He will not win the award. Next season people will forget he was even nominated. Thats the way these things work. I cant remember who was nominated for YPOTY last season off the top of my head.

Ireland or Young will win it. Rafael is there to fill the numbers. So take it easy.

Yes i would say he shouldnt be in the list, but then, who should? How many outstanding wonderkids are there in the league?

Macheda was robbed imo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Gerrard and Ireland to win 'em. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Vidic won the main one if the votes were done in February.

Ireland should definetly be in the main one aswell. Wasn't Ronaldo in both last year or the year before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ireland has been better than Young this season without doubt and if he doesn't win the Young Player of the Year award I'm gonna stamp my feet like a three year old who's just had his bar of chocolate taken off him. Actually Ireland should be in the running for Senior Player of the Year as well. I'm really really struggling to think of six players who have been better than him.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Cant help you with that.

As for the rest of the post, why do you care so bloody much? I love Rafael, i think he is unreal. Clearly i am not the only one who thinks that way. You said he was good, but not good enough to be nominated, well, nominations mean **** all.

He will not win the award. Next season people will forget he was even nominated. Thats the way these things work. I cant remember who was nominated for YPOTY last season off the top of my head.

Ireland or Young will win it. Rafael is there to fill the numbers. So take it easy.

Yes i would say he shouldnt be in the list, but then, who should? How many outstanding wonderkids are there in the league?

Macheda was robbed imo :p

you said he would have been up for the main award. I was just saying not a hope in hell. Not when a wonderkid who's been there and done that like Rooney can't get on the list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement