Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA nominees

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I think the fact that Ronaldo is even in the nominations shows how much respect the rest of the players in the league actually have for him, cause there is know way he deserves it on form.

Either vidic or gerrard for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Is it judged on this season or on the calendar year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

you said he would have been up for the main award. I was just saying not a hope in hell. Not when a wonderkid who's been there and done that like Rooney can't get on the list.

If Rafael played every game for United this season he WOULD have been up for the award.

Van Der Sar... Vidic... Ferdinand?

If Rafa had not been injured and played really well while breaking the clean sheet record he would have been up there with those lads.

Im not saying he is the right back around, but if he was a major contributor to the cleen sheet record he would be there, see what im getting at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    If Rafael played every game for United this season he WOULD have been up for the award.

If Rafa had not been injured and played really well while breaking the clean sheet record he would have been up there with those lads.

Im not saying he is the right back around, but if he was a major contributor to the cleen sheet record he would be there, see what im getting at?

Then why isn't O'Shea nominated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Then why isn't O'Shea nominated?

Because he's from Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is it judged on this season or on the calendar year?

This season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

How Frank Lampard isn't in there after being the talisman for a team only a few points off the pace that arguably played the best football for the first few months of the season is beyond me. Not a Chelsea fan, in fact I pretty much hate Lamps but I think Vidic and Gerrard are the only players on that list who can claim to have had bigger seasons than him.

I also think Alonso should have warranted a place. He has been central to Liverpool performing well this season. When Gerrard dosn't play he is the centre of the team everything goes through him. He's been outstanding this season and the media myth of Liverpool being a 2 man team has probably contributed to the exclusion of arguably the most consistently high-performing player in the Premier League.

Some of the players on the list are an absolute joke. If they wanted to be so United-centric they could have at least put Carrick on there who has been solid and consistent and played the majority of his sides games this season.

There are countless players more worthy of a spot than some of the names up there - Ireland, Barry, Jagielka, Carragher to name just a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Rafael wasn't automatic first choice at any stage of this season. He was being sensibly rotated by Alex. I can guarantee you no matter how many times he'd played this season, and as much as you'd like to think he would, he'd have no chance of making that shortlist.

Why wasn't Evra selected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Probably because he's been ****e this season so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

All bookies have stopped taking bets on this (since the results are already known by some people).

Ashley Young now 1/2 fav on Betfair
    Giggs 5/4 fav in the main award

I find Giggs' shortening in odds to strange not to be some insider info. Unless he had a stormer last night and people got a reminder of how good he's been at times this season? (didn't see the game).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Morzadec wrote: »
    How Frank Lampard isn't in there after being the talisman for a team only a few points off the pace that arguably played the best football for the first few months of the season is beyond me. Not a Chelsea fan, in fact I pretty much hate Lamps but I think Vidic and Gerrard are the only players on that list who can claim to have had bigger seasons than him.

I also think Alonso should have warranted a place. He has been central to Liverpool performing well this season. When Gerrard dosn't play he is the centre of the team everything goes through him. He's been outstanding this season and the media myth of Liverpool being a 2 man team has probably contributed to the exclusion of arguably the most consistently high-performing player in the Premier League.

Some of the players on the list are an absolute joke. If they wanted to be so United-centric they could have at least put Carrick on there who has been solid and consistent and played the majority of his sides games this season.

There are countless players more worthy of a spot than some of the names up there - Ireland, Barry, Jagielka, Carragher to name just a few.
    Listen friend i'm a true Carragher fan,love the guy to bits but there is no way in the world he should be considered for the award. This season has been in all honesty his worst in recent memory. Jagielka,Alonso and lampard are the glaring omissions from the list in my opinion. How in the name of god Gigg's,VDS and Ferdinand are in there is beyond me.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    All bookies have stopped taking bets on this (since the results are already known by some people).

Ashley Young now 1/2 fav on Betfair
    Giggs 5/4 fav in the main award

I find Giggs' shortening in odds to strange not to be some insider info. Unless he had a stormer last night and people got a reminder of how good he's been at times this season? (didn't see the game).
    Young now 1/10
    Giggs 1/3

Looks certain now that they're going to be the 2 winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I swear to god, if Ryan Giggs wins this award i'll piss myself laughing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Why would you do that, surely you must know it has to be Giggs and Raphael for the young player:rolleyes:

Otherwise there will be a conspiracy theory as to why utd playes did not win both;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

redout wrote: »
    Superman should win both end of.

C_71_article_1023466_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg
    Agreed. He has been the best player consistently this season in an average Man City side. Have to laugh when people say Robinho is better than him!

Gerard will win the Senior section and Ireland the Junior section. Fair enough.

Young now 1/10
    Giggs 1/3

Looks certain now that they're going to be the 2 winners.
    Not fit to clean Stevie Ireland's boots tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The players don't choose the nominees, do they? They just vote from the list, surely.

So who actually makes the nominations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

K4t wrote: »
    Not fit to clean Stevie Ireland's boots tbh.

Take off these young man they make you look silly tbh.

PAB4916.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Giggs?! Player of the season?! Unbelievable!

I would think the reason he will win is due to the fact he has never won before. He has has a brilliant career and due to this fact a lot of people probably feel he 'deserves' the award.

But the reality is that this award is for the 08-09 season not for the 15 or so that came before it. Anyone else think that this might be what's at play here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Vidic is more deserving of it than Giggs but as been said before defenders rarely win this particular award.

• Advertisement

Take off these young man they make you look silly tbh.
    :rolleyes: Stephen Ireland runs Man City and is a far more creative player than Young. He's scored more goals than Young this season too. He's a player I would take at United tomorrow in a heartbeat. Young has a long way to go before reaching the level and consistency of Stephen Ireland.

p.s. Are you a Villa fan by any chance?

Vidic is more deserving of it than Giggs but as been said before defenders rarely win this particular award.

Lest we forget

0,,10265~3426920,00.jpg

:rolleyes: Stephen Ireland runs Man City and is a far more creative player than Young. He's scored more goals than Young this season too. He's a player I would take at United tomorrow in a heartbeat. Young has a long way to go before reaching the level and consistency of Stephen Ireland.

p.s. Are you a Villa fan by any chance?

Shock horror, an Irish person on an Irish website thinks an Irish player is more deserving of the award then Ash, despite betting suggesting otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Lest we forget

0,,10265~3426920,00.jpg

Indeed. Wasn't forgetting about him either but IIRC McGrath and Terry are the only defenders to have won the award since the start of the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shock horror, an Irish person on an Irish website thinks an Irish player is more deserving of the award then Ash, despite betting suggesting otherwise.

And shock horror a Villa fan thinks Young should win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In fairness I read the BBC comments on the award nominations and the majority of them (who would be British people) felt Ireland deserved it.

I think if Ireland loses out it would be a travesty.

As much as I admire Ryan Giggs I don't think he deserves the senior award.

I reckon they should bring in a sort of career achievement award (similar to the Oscars lifetime achievement award) to reward players like Giggs who deserve recognition over the course of their careers. It would prevent the so-called sympathy vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm fairly certain bookmakers give the shortest odds to the most likely winner, not the most deserving winner.

Ireland has been the better player this year.

This year as in 2009 the calender year?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And shock horror a Villa fan thinks Young should win!

Subtle i'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ryan Giggs seems like a good bloke and is definately a great pro but i reckon he'd be embarrased if he won.

• Advertisement

In fairness I read the BBC comments on the award nominations and the majority of them (who would be British people) felt Ireland deserved it.

I think if Ireland loses out it would be a travesty.
    Every unbiased football fan knows that Ireland should win it, and that he should be nominated for PFA too.
    I'm fairly certain bookmakers give the shortest odds to the most likely winner, not the most deserving winner.

FFS, ireland has been a superior player to Young for the last two years. Young is a nice player who can beat a man not unlike Aaron Lennon and Theo Walcott. But to say he is or has been better than Stephen Ireland is utter rubbish. You are deluded.

Young is a good little player.

Ireland is a special little player.

Despite the timeframe for voting, as far as I'm aware the award is for the season, so I meant season 2009/09.

Every unbiased football fan knows that Ireland should win it, and that he should be nominated for PFA too.

FFS, ireland has been a superior player to Young for the last two years. Young is a nice player who can beat a man not unlike Aaron Lennon and Theo Walcott. But to say he is or has been better than Stephen Ireland is utter rubbish. You are deluded.

You're clearly deluded young man if you think i'm comparing the 2 players attributes and arguing semantics over who is 'better',when one is a winger and the other is a CM!. I'm talking about who is more deserving of the PFA award:rolleyes:.

But you're definitely having a laugh if you think Ireland has had a better 2 seasons then Young, were you even following football before this season?:confused:, will i pull out the Ashley Young stats from 2007/08 and compare them to Irelands or do you want to do it for me?

Despite the timeframe for voting, as far as I'm aware the award is for the season, so I meant season 2009/09.

I think, if we're going by the betting, that Ash is favourite because of his performances the past 2 seasons not just this year. If Ireland doesn't win it this year then he'll probably win it next year as he's only 22?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I have to take issue with this. It's open to debate who is more deserving this season but last season Young was vastly superior to Ireland, 100% unarguable.

• Advertisement

I also wonder how much of it is affected by the huge size of PL squads, and how many of the fringe players are interested enough to actually watch much in the way of football.

A player like Ashley Young stands out, he's English and in the NT, he's in a side until recently considered a real contender for 4th, he's an exciting pacey winger who scores goals and provides ball to his team mates to do the same.

If Young wins it I'd say the reason will be that virtually everyone will have voted for him, while Ireland may have lost votes to Lennon and the others.

Each player gets two votes IIRC.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The players don't choose the nominees, do they? They just vote from the list, surely.

So who actually makes the nominations?
    The nominees are the top 6 players in the voting. The voting is finished and the winner is already known.

Wenger:

“The decisions are all made in February. The players who are rewarded are those who played well until February.

“A player who has been out until January has no chance to be voted but he can still be very influential for the rest of the season.

“Now is the most important time of the season - April, May - so these awards just reward the players of the first six months of the season.

“If they vote in May, I hope some of my players would be in there.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's really very strange. I can't understand the reasoning behind it at all.

And if Giggs wins it, it goes from strange to farce.

Each player gets two votes IIRC.

Read that last week alright, is it not they get to vote for a senior player and young player though?

So they only have one vote in each of the 2 categories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

Does anyone know the date that the voting took place?

Must of been when United were still on that amazing run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The nominees are the top 6 players in the voting. The voting is finished and the winner is already known.

Thanks! So they're not nominees then. It's an even worse sham than all the other "awards".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

WHO THE **** IS STEPHEN IRELAND???????? :D:D:D:D:D

DSB wrote: »
    WHO THE **** IS STEPHEN IRELAND???????? :D:D:D:D:D

Ashley-Young-and-Martin-L-002.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wow, nice humility lads.

you know full well ireland deserves it.

robbed.

SlickRic wrote: »
    wow, nice humility lads.

robbed.

Not at all. Young is more than deserving.

wow, nice humility lads.

robbed.

Schweppes_Bitter_Lemon.jpg

51I%2B20TL-mL._SL500.jpg

lads, at least try to discuss it. very mature post from you in particular invincibleirish.

i'm not a City fan in the slightest. but by anyone's reckoning ireland should have been a shoe-in. Young's been hot and cold since December. Ireland has consistently been Man City's best player ALL year. his form hasn't dipped once really. He's gone from the fringes to undroppable.

Young is a terrific player, and I'd love him at Liverpool, but Ireland has been nothing short of sensational. Young has disappeared in a fair few games this season. ireland, even when City have been fragile and in bad form, has been a consistent shining light.

Goals & Assists 9 and 9 v 6 and 8.

Tackles. Workrate. Leadership.

The man has been immense. That's nothing, again, against Young; Ireland has just been THAT good. Outperformed him in every aspect this season really.

lads, at least try to discuss it. very mature post from you in particular invincibleirish.

i'm not a City fan in the slightest. but by anyone's reckoning ireland should have been a shoe-in. Young's been hot and cold since December. Ireland has consistently been Man City's best player ALL year. his form hasn't dipped once really. He's gone from the fringes to undroppable.

Young is a terrific player, and I'd love him at Liverpool, but Ireland has been nothing short of sensational. Young has disappeared in a fair few games this season. ireland, even when City have been fragile and in bad form, has been a consistent shining light.

Goals. Assists. Tackles. Workrate. Leadership.

The man has been immense. That's nothing, again, against Young; Ireland has just been THAT good.

Where are you getting this hot and cold thing with Young from? You mustn't watch Villa that much, the chap is pretty much the reason we were as high as we were. Petrov was excellent too, but no1 at Villa has the touch of class that Young does.

DSB wrote: »
    the chap is pretty much the reason we were as high as we were

and what's happened since he, and the rest of your team, has blown cold?

and who cares if nobody at villa has the touch and class of Young? that's not the argument. A bald fella in the blue of Manchester has that touch and class and has performed on a more consistent basis.

To be fair we're 24 pages into the thread, what you suggest has been debated already. Now Ash has the award tucked under his arm and both he & Ireland i'm sure are looking forward to the future as they boogie on down tonight at the PFA disco. I think Ireland will get over it and probably win it next season (Ash not being eligible and all).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement