Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to install PVC window in timber shed

Options
  • 14-04-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm building a timber shed and I plan on putting a couple of PVC windows into it. I have a window that I'm almost ready to install. But I don't know much about this kind of thing and I don't know how best to install the window.

I was advised to make a timber frame to go around the window, a frame that protrudes out from the wall of the shed, and seal all the edges with silicone or whatever. Does that sound right? Can you buy plastic or timber window sills? I don't want to use ordinary timber for the sill because if there is no slope in it I'm afraid water will collect there.

Is there any other prep work I should do on the frame before I put the window in place? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I am thinking that this is a spare window you have laying about.

it will be very thick for a timber shed.

but if you are fully intent of getting it in there then you should frame the op with 5mm to spare .

seal it with outdoor silicone
    Keep it in flush with the frame.

Get a PVC sill in B&Q to plant onto your window and screw it on from beneth.

Clad down over the window frame to stop water getting in.

it is only a shed so there is no need to go to crazy with sealing and draft proofing. But you also dont want any water to get in or trapped .

Why not just use a bit of clear PVC ? Like a normal shed

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Thanks. Well the window I have is thinner than the frame of the shed. The shed is quite big and is framed with 2"x4". The window is big too - 6'x4' but the frame is only a few inches thick. I want a proper window because of the size and the opening sashes.

It's really intended as more of a workshop than a storage shed, so I do want it as well built as I can manage, as I'll be spending a bit of time in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Firefly,

Have a look at the link below, its to a UK woodwork forum and a thread on a guy whom has purchased a large timber shed to use as a workshop and has recently installed a PVC window into it. Might be of some help to you.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30593&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Yes that's useful thanks! My window is similar to that. It looked straightforward enough the way he did it. I'll keep that in mind and try not to complicate things when I'm doing mine!

Advertisement