Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Belfast, buyer beware!

Options
  • 14-04-2009 12:40pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I took a trip up to IKEA in Belfast to buy a few items that can’t wait until the Dublin store opens. I was suitably impressed by their enormous shop (shed?!) and got what I was after. However, it was only when I got home and started to assemble the piece of furniture the problems came to light. The item came in two boxes and it wasn’t until I has assembled the two of them and went to bolt them together that the problem became apparent. It turns out that one piece was from a long discontinued stock line (2004) and the other piece from the current stock line. They had the same brand name, we on the correct shelf etc. but one was obsolete and the other not.

So I rang the store yesterday (bank holiday but open 10 – 22), but no answer. I then range the customer service line and was told to bring it back. I politely explained that I was three hours away from the shop and had already assembled it including nailing bits together so it wouldn’t fit in the car, or go back in the box. Not surprisingly they stuck to their guns and I am required to break it up and drive three hours to deliver it back to them.

So I took a circular saw to it and it fits together now...

So the moral of the story is, people buying stuff from up north (and especially IKEA) need to be sure that everything is in order before they go home, otherwise it can be a costly mistake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

bit unfair on ikea...

it's hardly their fault that you live far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the same type of issue can arise when buying from any of these "flat pack" and "catalogue" stores like ikea argos homebase etc but they all have one thing in commen which is a good no quibble(usually) replacement or refund when something is damaged or in your case when parts dont fit together. you bought up in belfast and trhat is where you must return the faulty item unless ikea suggest/accept you delivering it elsewhere.

and yes it can be one of the disadvantages of buying furniture and larger items in the north but i am sure in most cases the savings made outweigh the possible hassle of returning something

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

gar_29 wrote: »
    bit unfair on ikea...

it's hardly their fault that you live far away.

I agree, but then the other side of that is...

But unfair on the customer

it's hardly their fault that you stock discontinued furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Buyers will always be taking a risk when buying up North. There's no real way to know if everything is in order until you take it back and assemble it unfortunately. Offering a collection and delivery service from Ikea, I just hope my customers don't experience the same as it will be Ikea's fault and out of my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Buyers will always be taking a risk when buying up North.

What has the fact that Ikea is in the North got to do with it.

come the summer the OP could have been from Cork with the store in Dublin.

I worked for a ' flat pack ' furniture company for many years ( Not IKEA ) there are a few rules you MUST stick to.

a) Take ALL parts out of the boxes when you get home and count them all , don't start assembling it until you have done a full inventory. This is because if there is any problem you want to find out then.

b) Put it together CAREFULLY and take your time, it will take you roughly twice as long as you expect it to take ( plus the same time again :) ). Tighten all the screws , then when the unit is fully assembled tighten the screws again

c) On the joints where dowls are used , use wood glue as well , even if it's not supplied.

d) DON'T move the unit unless you have to , flat pack furniture does not move well . If you have to move it , then go back and tighten the screws again afterwards.

This furniture will not be the antiques of the future but by and large it's ' horses for courses ' so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Davidth88 wrote: »
    What has the fact that Ikea is in the North got to do with it.

Simply the distance if anything goes wrong. Same can be said for Cork or similarly distanced shoppers at the Dublin branch once it opens of course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not IKEA's fault that you didn't read the instructions and you live far away, should change thread topic to IKEA beware...customers not having common sense :pac:

I live down in the south east, if I buy something in Galway should I bitch and moan when the shop advises me of there policy and I don't like it....no of course not thats the risk I take for shopping so bloody far away :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not IKEA's fault that you didn't read the instructions and you live far away, should change thread topic to IKEA beware...customers not having common sense :pac:

I live down in the south east, if I buy something in Galway should I bitch and moan when the shop advises me of there policy and I don't like it....no of course not thats the risk I take for shopping so bloody far away :)

Thanks for reading the thread, maybe you could go back and read my post too :pac:

I followed the instructions, they were clear and easy, the furniture assembled as promised. But one item was old stock and not compatible.

As I said, when buying things from far away, be extra careful.

TBH, the only moaning in the thread was done by you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I’m guessing from your first post that English may not be your first language but I can’t see the issue you have with Ikea, you must of saved money buy shopping in Ikea and knew you were buying goods flat packed.

Davidth88’s information was the right way you should go about putting the items together. Ikea were willing to take the goods back so if you’re willing to drive that far to purchase the goods you must be willing to take the goods back there. It’s not Ikea’s fault you live so far away.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I’m guessing from your first post that English may not be your first language

Ditto for you.
    ekriuq wrote:
    you must of saved money.

The usage is "you must have" not "you must of".

I think the OP makes a valid point - if you're travelling a long distance then make sure you double-check the product received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

OP they appear to have offered to rectify the situation, it's your problem that you live far away. they assume if you made the trip once to buy the item you can make it again for them to fix the problem for you.
    it sounds like and honest mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 I.K.Brunel

A few years ago I had a similar problem with purchases made at Ikea Glasgow. ...two right hand sides to a dresser in the box (which incidently I didn't assemble until some 3 months after the purchase!).

A few calls to their helpline to explain my dilemma & the fact that I couldn't return the items to the store. They offered to post the missing part at no charge. It helped that I had paid for delivery.

I was extremely impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Im guessing from your first post that English may not be your first language but I cant see the issue you have with Ikea, you must of saved money buy shopping in Ikea
    I think you mean BY SHOPPING

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I bought some storage stuff from IKEA in Belfast a couple of weeks ago, one of the bits was damaged. I went back up the following weekend and exchanged it with no problem. I must say their furniture is the easiest flatpack stuff to put together ever invented.

But people do have to beware, I was buying a swivel chair for my son which came in two parts, I got the main part and did not realise that it came in two parts until I got to the till, when the girl serving told me it was a two part item. Fair play to her. But they did not have part two in stock so even in a company like that, things go wrong.
    The OP is correct, just be doubley careful when buying from a far distance!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Jeesus guys, the OP was not saying Ikea or 'The North' is a pile of ****e, he was just telling you of something that happened to him and was thoughtful enough to post it here.

Get a life all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Jeesus guys, the OP was not saying Ikea or 'The North' is a pile of ****e, he was just telling you of something that happened to him and was thoughtful enough to post it here.

Get a life all.

Then it is hardly fair to single out Ikea Belfast in the topic title, telling people to "beware" of them. This applies to anywhere where you travel a long distance to.

Exactly my point, it applies to anywhere, even the local shop. It is always the case of buyer beware.

However, as the OP found out, there are additional things to be aware of when shopping from a long distance.

He was nice enough to tell us of his experience & even pointed out that all was well in the end.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ch750536 wrote: »
    Exactly my point, it applies to anywhere, even the local shop. It is always the case of buyer beware.

However, as the OP found out, there are additional things to be aware of when shopping from a long distance.

He was nice enough to tell us of his experience & even pointed out that all was well in the end.

His experience is pretty obvious stuff however, you buy something and something goes wrong and you have to return it to the store which is a long way away = pain in the arse to do.

Hardly worth a thread, its just common sense stuff

Yes, you are right mod.

Anyone posting sensible but obvious tips about the flaws of buying discontinued items(without their knowledge) from a distance then not being able to get a replacement due to it being discontinued then having to make the tough decision about traveling up there or getting the circular saw out deserves to be put in their place.
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Mods have no powers outside of the forums they are mods for, they are just like any other user in a forum they don't moderate.

MC

• Advertisement

Mods have no powers outside of the forums they are mods for, they are just like any other user in a forum they don't moderate.

MC

Talk about posting obvious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

LOL. :rolleyes:

Advertisement