Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

haha, well if you get it ill be depressed, cause i want to beat you in at least one lift!

jayz 5/3/1 is confusing the hell out of me, im following the Boss' main lifts but have no clue what to do for assistance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

haha, well if you get it ill be depressed, cause i want to beat you in at least one lift!

Well here's some extra motivation to think about when we're under the bar in training! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

jayz 5/3/1 is confusing the hell out of me, im following the Boss' main lifts but have no clue what to do for assistance!

What do you want to do for assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I do the triumverate

Overhead press
    with Dips and Chins

bench
    with one armed rows and DB press

Deadlifts
    with hanging leg raise, glute ham raise and good mornings

squats with
    leg press, leg curls, stiff leg deadlifts

i find it good
    i add in more as prescribed on back and leg day

• Advertisement

well i was thinking something like this

MP : calve raises, some shrugs and pullups

Deadlift :Hypers, face pulls, scap push ups

Bench: Bent over dumbell rows/kroc rows and cable rows.

Squat: Good mornings, SLDL, abb pulldowns.

You might need more pressing I don't see any listed as assistance. Otherwise it looks ok and you can change things around as you progress.

alrighty, today shall be day 1, MP soon

ive reavaluated mp assistance and it is now as follows:

MP

Assistance : Power cleans and incline dumbells and dips

Military Press:
    Warm ups.
    40kg -1x5
    42.5kg -1x5
    45kg -1x12
    ---

Power Cleans:
    Warm ups.
    65kg -1x5
    65kg -1x5
    65kg -1x5
    ---

Incline Dumbell Press:
    20kg -1x8
    22.5kg -1x10
    22.5kg -1x10
    22.5kg -1x10
    ---

Dips @Bw 92.3kg
    Bw -1x8
    Bw -1x8
    Bw -1x8
    ---

Flexibilty work on exercise ball, arch and shoulder work. between dip sets

Cardio:eek::
    15 min walk at 6.9km/h at a 4.5 incline.

Thoughts:
    Good day, 5/3/1 Is fun.I was pretty unsure when i saw the excel sheet that the max i was lifting was 45kg but i was struggling towards the end with it! Im taking this time to really hammer in a good ROM on the press, i usually only go down to my nose but today i went below my chin.I also used a non split stance.

Delighted with power cleans at my speed. I chose them to supplement deadlifts tbh.

Incline dumbell presses where done at a pretty high angle and i was shaking towards the end, havent done them in a while

Dips where really good considering i havent done them in yonks!Im abotu 5kg heavier aswell since the last time i did them so im getting better at them!

Cardio got me sweating, i picked this level as if i went higher probably would have used the handles to hold me up

Nice power cleaning. And afaik a strict military press is supposed to touch your chest, well it's what i always do anyway...

• Advertisement

i aint got the best shoulder flexibility tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

nice work, i dont think i ever got over 10 reps on anything on 5/3/1 :D

So ya gonna use that as an excuse or somethin to work on? :P

oh no im working on it, i was doing flexibility work today between my dips, guess i should throw it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

bet you're pressing with your hands inside the rings?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Parsley wrote: »
    a strict military press is supposed to touch your chest, well it's what i always do anyway...

+1. Do a full ROM now at lighter weights and keep the good form going forwards. Don't sacrifice form for weight.
    ive reavaluated mp assistance and it is now as follows:

MP

Assistance : Power cleans and incline dumbells and dips

Dips = good choice. This means you'll work your triceps hard on MP day as well as bench. Should help benching.
    Cardio:eek::
    15 min walk at 6.9km/h at a 4.5 incline.

Excellent. I was going to suggest that you include some sprinting/cycling/swimming or some sort of cardio / crossfit workout.

e.g. do 2 days of 531 followed by 1 of cardio, and repeat. Give it a few months and you'll be fit as well as strong. It may mean your 531 "week" will last 8 or 9 days, but who cares if you are looking ripped by the end of it?!

im pretty lean atm :P, Im happy enough with my fitness anyway haha. I just did it cause i had to wait for my mom! I press with fingers in the rings, and i figure the submaximal weight on press will help me with form, i just dont think i will realistically get down to my chest, Im happy enough with below the chin but i will try. Although, i have pe in school for 80 minutes tomorrow so i will do some cardio then some weights later, might throw in a olympic complex or something.

OMG I FORGOT.... So to make it official.

531-cover.jpg%20500.jpg

Deadlifts:
    105kg x5
    112.5kg x5
    120kg x15 (has to be a pb of some sort!)

Hypers:
    3x20 +5kg plate behind head ( soooore)

Pull ups:
    5 -pulls
    4 -chins
    5 -wide pulls(kipped)

Scapula Pushups(attempted poorly)
    Bw x 10 (wide hand position, close to head)
    Bw x 10 (hands near hips, narrow)
    Bw x 10 (normal)

Thoughts:
    Deads where good, i set a target of 12 and when i got there i just pushed through, set probably took about 120 seconds, no touch and go reps. Felt good

Hypers are always good, I love the way these remind me i have hamstrings and a lower back.

Pull ups werent that great, ill probably sub in lat pulldown and go for higher reps

Scap push ups sucked, they where sore, but i didnt really feel them any different than a normal push up, other than i couldnt do as much. Im probably doing them awfully so now to check vids!

EDIT: Cardio: 6.9kmph for 15 minutes at an incline of 4.5 heart rate stayed at 147 average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

stick with the pull ups man, there the squats for the upper body.

check this out

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pull-ups1.htm

• Advertisement

Quick update, i was doign scapula push ups waaaaay wrong! i was doing the shoulder blade squeeze at the top, then holding that for a push up, then when i came back up i pushed my shoulder blades back out. Jesus im an idiot. And the reason im thinking of changing to lat pull down is just to get more reps in and to use a wider grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Deadlifts:

120kg x15 (has to be a pb of some sort!)

I'm.................... impressed.

vomit session tbh lol

Bench rawr!
    Warm ups
    52.5KG x 5
    55KG x 5
    57.5KG x16!!
    close grip-
    30kg x30

Kroc rows(per arm)
    15x 32.5kg
    12x 37.5kg
    8 x 40kg
    15 x 30kg

Cable Rows
    30kg x 15 (jerking all over the place, baad :P)
    30kg x 10 (strict)
    30kg x 10 (strict)

Curls
    12.5kg x6 per arm, really slow, squeezed at the top.

Thoughts:
    Happy with bench, i saw marauder meat on tmuscle in a vid where he held his breath to keep tightness. I did it for the first 5 reps and then held my breath for 3 reps at a time.
    did the close grip bench for fun.

Kroc rows where pretty good, i was surprised i could actually do 1 rep good form per arm with 40kg :D I wasnt too lose for kroc rows.

First set of cable rows i kinda jerked it and thankfully a bodybuilder i know in the gym came up to me and just said my form was Shit, So i corrected it. Hes a nice guy, competing on the weekend, i shall be gunning for him.

Curls where just there for the sake of it, saw the weights on the way out, did it for the heck of it

I got my iron work 3s and Wrist wraps, surprisingly:eek: hanley was right that the ironwork 3 has plenty of heel. I know, what are the odds hanley would be right about powerlifting. Basically, they kick ass, im reccomending them.

Squats:
    70kg x5
    75kg x5(belt on)
    80kg x10(could have got more)

Good Mornings:
    30kg x8
    35kg x8
    40kg x8 x2

SlDl:
    60kg x10
    65kg x10 x 2

Abb pulldowns,kneeling
    Stack x 20 x 3

Thoughts:
    Squats where awesome, found it really easy to hit depth and push my hips back, i was actually finding it hard trying to stop going too low!

Good mornings where good, im not going very low, maybe 10 degrees above paralell, but any lower and my upper back starts rounding. no matter what weight!

Stifflegs where hard, upper back rounds slightly at the bottom of the reps. I think i may have tight hamstrings, but im not sure. I might do some more stretching

Abb pulldowns where good, i prefer doing them kneeling as they dont aggravate my quad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

hanley would be right

I never get tired of hearing this.

Totally different feeling squatting in em eh?? It's awesome.

yea it feels really cool, i have no fear of pushing my hips back anymore cause i know im not gonna fall over, good call on em btw, i owe ya :P

I don't think you can avoid your upper back rounding on the sldl's? So long as your lower back isn't rounding I don't think there's a problem, someone more experienced will correct me if I'm wrong. And there's no such thing as going too low with your squats! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I don't think you can avoid your upper back rounding on the sldl's? So long as your lower back isn't rounding I don't think there's a problem, someone more experienced will correct me if I'm wrong. And there's no such thing as going too low with your squats! :P

Course ya can avoid it if you keep your upper back arched.... you might not get the bar all the way to the floor tho depending on hamstring flexibility!!

I'm tempted to start experimenting with the Konsti way of deadlifting.

And the sudden increase in depth's weird as hell with the shoes on eh?? Myself, Kev and now you have all commented on it!

• Advertisement

yea,its mad! you actually find it hard to not go atg like! Its really cool tho, i actually thought id find it harder to hit paralell as your knees would go out, but they dont cause you can push your hips back so easily! I still amnt happy about the slight upper back rounding im getting, i get it slightly at the bottom of a deadlift until the bar is about 3 inches below my knee

Advertisement