Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

here a lil video from today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I like your pre-lifting dancing, tap tap tap, tap tap, touch bar, tap tap :D Makes me think i need one...

Nice lifting though, haven't done power cleans before myself seeing as if i attempted them someone would probably run to reception claiming i'll hurt myself or others.... Joining Crunch in UCD tomorrow so i might give it a try then!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You need to bring your elbows up and forward a lot more on the power cleans (not get elbows under the bar as you mentioned in your comments) to get a good rack.

Good stuff.

Military Press:
    5 x 40kg
    5 x 42.5kg
    12 x45kg

Power Cleans:
    65kg x 3 x 5

Incline Dumbell Press:
    20kg x 10
    22.5kg x 12
    22.5kg x 12
    22.5kg x 15 (up 2 reps per set from last week, and 5 on the last set)

Dips:
    3x8, harder than last week.

Thoughts:
    Happy with all pressing done today, the power cleans where pretty bad but i had my back straight so i guess thats something:o I figured it was better to post a near maximal weight than a warm up to get a better idea of form faults. Im sure someone will be able to gimme some pointers :D

ah ok, i meant get my elbows into the front squat position, if ya get me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not trying to be an ass but your shoulder press looks like an incline bench in the vid you posted. I'm not saying mine is better (never video'd it), just an observation.

well its the 2nd time ive ever used a military press stance, im used to using a split stance cause i usually lose balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its not like it would be the end of the world, just might be using more chest than necessary and possibly bad for the back but that depends on the person. Obviously form improves when you get used to it.

meh, i never feel it in my chest like, i looked over it and i do see where your comin from tho, not too worried atm.

Just realised i did the wrong weight yesterday on mp, should have been 47.5kg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

meh, i never feel it in my chest like, i looked over it and i do see where your comin from tho, not too worried atm.

First off I know blow all about shoulder/push/military pressing, but nevertheless in my limited experience I'd say your form there is pretty good: tight on the descent, then your head pushing through well... you're tall w/ long limbs so arching back is gonna look a little bit more extreme than it would for a short guy, but that's where your power is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

id disagree with kev tbh. i think on the reps at the start where you dont pause at the top, you dont really push your head through, on the rest it gets a bit better.

powercleans look all arms tbh. you can see your elbows bend before you extend your hips, which looks to me like you pulling the bar up with the arms.

im not an expert on either of these lifts though and i fcuked my shoulder on OH presses so what do i know. 12 reps is animal though, fair play.

one more thing id say is that powercleans are better at lower reps 2-3, because technique is so important and fatigue messes that up. some weird music in your gym too.

alright, well i admit i do kinda muscle up my power cleans. Ill try take all the advise on board for my next session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1lxLk3Wqg

Here's a great youtube video I got from Transform for helping with your cleans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

alright, well i admit i do kinda muscle up my power cleans. Ill try take all the advise on board for my next session.

You're missing the entire point of power cleans with technique like that, I had the same issue myself for a period of time. Really dude, drop the weight back and work that technique. Read books, watch videos, there's a ton of stuff on the CF Journal about this. I had to drop the weight back and work on mine but it paid off in the end and my technique is pretty passable these days. You're clearly strong enough for the weight as you can muscle it into position, very soon though you'll end up with 70 or 75 kg that just refuses to rack no matter what you do. Maybe drop the sets to 3x3 for the meantime to preserve technique?

Can't say for sure about the press but it looks like you're leaning back about as far as you should be really. Rule of thumb is that the bar shouldn't go back further than the edge of your ass. It looks about that far back but it's impossible to tell for sure from the vid. Strong work though @ 12 reps.

Oh and if you're going to go for ghey shorts, don't pussy foot around with those, go full Elton John ghey. You only look like an amateur otherwise. If you make it to the CF Invitational you can get some coaching on both your power clean and what flowery shorts to wear to the gym.

thanks trevor/transform, i never knew about opening up the hands!

unfortutantly im working from 7am till 6pm on sathurday so i cant go up, which is really unfortunate cause i was scheduled to work on sunday, ill do 5x3 again and really work on technique, thanks fellas

alright after watching the video a few times im gonna take the following steps
    Drop back weight, not sure how far(50kg?)
    widen grip by a few inches
    keep the bar closer to me
    Rack on my shoulders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I thought the press was ok....

nice to know its not all bad!

• Advertisement

Deadlift:
    112.5kg x 3 in ironworks
    120kg x 3 in ironworks +belt
    127.5kg x12 barefoot +belt

Hypers:
    +10kg x 15 x2
    +10kg x 20

Pull Ups x4
    Chins x4
    Neutral x5

Lat Pulldown
    80kg x 4 (wide)
    80kg x 8
    65kg x7

Scapula Push ups(elevated feet)
    3x 15

Thoughts:
    Good day, nothing spectacular, i was really hoping for 15 reps on deadlift but i knew after the 12th rep that form would have been too suspect. Word of advise to anyone who doesnt already know, having two pizzas 20 minutes before training isnt smart, felt like i was gonna vomit putting on the belt.

Everything else was good. Hypers hit my hamstrings and lowerback like a mother today.
    Hyper_Extension_machine.jpg
    just checking, you do hypers on them dont ya? ive always been confused by rev hyper, hyper and GHR

That's a 45 degree hyper!

oh right, well then, i guess thats about the angle ive been using, its frekin confusing! thats the best we have at TF atm.Its a shambles up there currently, they havent fixed/replaced any of the broken sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

bigstar wrote: »
    id disagree with kev tbh. i think on the reps at the start where you dont pause at the top, you dont really push your head through, on the rest it gets a bit better.

How dare you! :D At the start he's repping quite quickly without holding a lockout, so not really bringing the head through until he does pause the lockout a few times. To criticise the form there would really be nitpicking, and besides, it's only military press like :)

Bench:
    55kg x3
    57.5kg x3
    62.5kg x12

BOR (strict):
    30kg bells 3x12 per arm
    22.5kg bells x15 per arm

Cable Rows:
    60kg x8
    52.5kg x10
    45kg x 15

CGBP:
    40kg x 20 reps

Power clean Practise:
    20 minutes, 5-10 min with just the bar, then threw on 5kg a side, for about 5 minutes, then a few single reps with 40kg

bench and rows where very good, really felt a pump on both of em.

Power cleans where tough from a cardio point of view, i was sweating so much.Im not muscling it up as i was last session but it still aint picture perfect.Delivery and dropping down are probably where i struggle the most.
    i failed miserably trying to get it behind my clavacles but it wasnt finishing up on my wrists. Dropping down is just down to habit. Ill get it. Ill post up a video of my form soon enough to get more pointers but for the moment im going to do about 10-20 minutes work on them at the end of a session with between 20kg and 40kg to work on form.

Squats:
    3x77.5kg
    3x80kg
    12 x85kg (belt on)

SlDl:
    40x10
    45x10
    60x10
    65x10
    70x10

Leg Press::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    240kg x 3
    240kg x 4
    190kg x 12
    90kg x 20 per leg

Abb circuit type thingy:
    situps+10kg setted with leg raises- 12 reps each, no rest between sets, 2 sets per machine

1 minute rest

Leg raises setted with lying leg crunch type things 12 reps each, no rest between sets, 2 sets per machine.

And thats it.

Thoughts:
    really got my zone on squats, utilizing the belt is getting easier, i didnt good morning any reps or lose any forward. Just had my form tight. The wrist wraps are allowing me to use a mad narrow grip with thumbs around bar. My back felt really tight,was pretty cool.Could have got 15 reps but hands where goin numb.

Leg press is interesting, i honestly feel im too tall to do both legs on it, the first sets felt really uncomfortable,The single leg set was really good though, My right leg is way stronger than my left.I could have easily gotten 25 on right leg, left leg was struggling at 15.

Abb thing was just for something new, forgot to work on power cleans today, slipped my mind completely

Kev M wrote: »
    How dare you! :D At the start he's repping quite quickly without holding a lockout, so not really bringing the head through until he does pause the lockout a few times. To criticise the form there would really be nitpicking, and besides, it's only military press like :)

Fully agree with this.

yes! at last one lift i dont have to make major changes to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

yes! at last one lift i dont have to make major changes to :D

well i thought it was cack!!:p

• Advertisement

haha, your opinion, good one :P Like i mean come on, who cares what you think!

Advertisement