Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

d'Oracle wrote: »
    You didn't feel anything?
    Thats mad.

Don't rush back, bandy ankles are ****house.
    I speak from much experience.
    G86 wrote: »
    Jebus, no idea how ya did it no?:confused:

I fell of my bike, but i hadnt noticed anything really while up there. like i fall of alot , usually nothing comes of it. i got back on the bike, continued down and was grand like. then the pain kicked in that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Dude hard luck!

The physio is vey important here with this so make sure to get the appointments done now!!

As d'oracle said the ankles can be tricky so be sure to take it easy. The better your recovery is the quicker you'll be back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

The physio is vey important here with this so make sure to get the appointments done now!!

Actually Double that.

Last time I did an ankle, (roshambo'd the bugger) I left it for ages.
    Physio actually gave me a hard time over it.

Shoulders session:
    cant remember exact weights....

Db press sitting
    22.5kg x 15 i think
    25kg x 10
    25kg x 5 steepened the bench height, didnt like it at all.

shoulder press sitting barbell.
    50kg ish for 3 x5 maybe?

lateral raises sitting
    3 sets with 8kg bells, monster pump!

Lat pull down
    pyramided up to 80kg for sets of 6, then dropped down to 50kg for 15 reps. wide grip..

Btw, if your reading this, cheers to the absolute legend who helped me out today, set up the bench, offered to grab the dbs off the rack for me and gave me a spot!

Oh and attention all low bar squatters, how in the hell do you keep your elbows in tact, mine are absolutly fried atm.its the feeling i get when i do more than one set of curls on a straight bar, it sucks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Oh and attention all low bar squatters, how in the hell do you keep your elbows in tact, mine are absolutly fried atm.its the feeling i get when i do more than one set of curls on a straight bar, it sucks!

I'm far from an xepert after only changing over before xmas but play around with hand positioning until they dont feel as sore.

I will be shot for this most likely, but I have had horrible problems with my right elbow. The fix was pushing my elbows back, like in starting strength, and keeping them locked back there. Narrow tight upper back, elbows up.

Literally everything else I tried failed, got to the point where the bar was shifting on the right side.

Jim Wendler said widen your grip and ice massage in a video I watched.
    But then you are squatting more than me so I dunno if its of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Agree with what Liam said but its still hit and miss for me. Definitely have to pay attention when setting them up like d'O says. I think its more shifting them around while in the low bar position rather than the position itself that hurts me.

its such a horrible feeling! cheers for the above advise. Oh another thing while im here, whats everyones opinion on fish oil? ive never tried taking any? think it would help my elbows?. btw i use a thumbless squat grip and elbows are as low as i can push them or else the bar pinches a nerve on my back

Just plain epic, favorite song atm. check out the band btw, have some good stuff for the gym.

Benchin:
    warm ups etc
    82 x 3 x 5
    87 x 2
    92 x .65ish i was so close to getting out of my sticking point. usually ill push up and itl stop at a point dead, it just slowed today and finally came to a halt. definitly would have had it fresh. i hope :P

Db benching flat
    17.5kg x a few reps , also a few flies with them.
    35kg x 4 or 5
    35kg x 4
    35kg x 6 last two spotter assisted, not much.
    22.5kg bells x 5 ,4 second pause at the bottom.

whopper pump of these!

Cable crossovers with more emphasis on pushing down than actually doing a fly.
    25Kg per side x 8
    30kg per side x 8
    35kg per side x 8ish i think, could have been 6
    last set was working from 25-30-35-25 with no rest.
    the 25 was 8 reps, the 30 was 8 reps, 35 and 2nd 25 where to failure.

Thats it. fun session, first time cycling to the gym. i definitly didnt tear no ligament, im not limping any more, probably a bad sprain, still gonna wait till next sunday to even consider leg work.

Edit: by the way, i hate flat db benching! every time i kick up the dumbells i slide down the bench! my fecking traps werent on the bench on the first two sets! , oh and also, i dont get a spot on the initial rep, if i cant get them up there in the first place, i dont think i have any business lifting them.

• Advertisement

its such a horrible feeling! cheers for the above advise. Oh another thing while im here, whats everyones opinion on fish oil? ive never tried taking any? think it would help my elbows?. btw i use a thumbless squat grip and elbows are as low as i can push them or else the bar pinches a nerve on my back

fish oil might be good for them in the long run but I don't know if it could stop joint pain from squatting, some elbow sleeves might be a better investment there. However I've never used them so I'm kind of talking out my ass there- ask Hanley, perhaps he has used them or knows if they would help. Nice benching, ya bastard. :pac:

yea ive been thinknig about them, cheerios! my bench seems to be getting the best of 5/3/1 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

At 8.32, he shows how straps can be used to help grip while doing front squats. Could straps be used in similar way for back squats??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Thats it. fun session, first time cycling to the gym. i definitly didnt tear no ligament, im not limping any more, probably a bad sprain, still gonna wait till next sunday to even consider leg work.

Edit: by the way, i hate flat db benching! every time i kick up the dumbells i slide down the bench! my fecking traps werent on the bench on the first two sets! , oh and also, i dont get a spot on the initial rep, if i cant get them up there in the first place, i dont think i have any business lifting them.

Have you booked the physio yet??

Re: low bar squat pain
    Elbow sleeves may work. In my experience I've found the pain will just go away over time. It can be really sore at times but it will go. Tbh the bench gets rid of it!!:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

JJayoo wrote: »

At 8.32, he shows how straps can be used to help grip while doing front squats. Could straps be used in similar way for back squats??

No. The bar has a natural shelf to sit on with front squats. You can do zombie squats with no hands in a front squat position, but try doing a no handed back squat w/ just a bar and seeyalater!! Normally the trick is just to take your grip out wider if your elbows are hurting. Tends to reduce your tightness overall tho.

nah i havent booked a physio, dont plan on doing it to be honest. I was going but its healing by itself pretty fine.

nah i havent booked a physio, dont plan on doing it to be honest. I was going but its healing by itself pretty fine.

Your ankle?

You will regret that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

thumbs up for 5FDP! Far from Home is my fav song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKmMADJtr0&feature=related

The original of Bad Company is pretty good too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ryRksbQvU

As for low bar squatting, you just have to find a grip that works for you, and just work through the pain from low bar, because it will go away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

fish oil is something you should be taking, definitely.

your basics should be
    whey protein
    fish oil
    multi-vitamin

and whatever else you;re having from there.

do you get the elbow pain more in one elbow than the other?
    I get it more in the right elbow, hurts like a mofo, i find that a bit of pernaton gel rubbed in works wonders

both elbows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

both elbows.
    jesus man foam roll more in ALL areas (did a vid on myofacial forearm release) and 6-10g of fish oils daily NO BLOODY question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Sorry to hear about the injury Cardio :(

Do you think you will be able to make the nationals?

Try a few sets of light bicep curls before squatting - might help with the elbow pain?

nationals are very doubtful atm pavel, i may go out to watch. Unfortunate i know :(, btw im actually going to a physio this week in case anyone cares, turns out i had one booked since last week but my mum forgot to mention it, its also free so woo :P

I was expecting today to be whopper boring but someone recognized me from teh single lifts, turns out he posts here and team test, By the name of jroc here. i think michael and Gill know him.

Pull ups,
    im not even gonna try remember how much i did, i did an assortment on rings, bars, with different grips and widths, all throughout the session, forgot to do them on ropes.
    I tried out the false grip aswell, i can do it on my right hand but the left keeps slipping.

Bent over row. db
    37.5Kg x 10 x 3 per arm, felt really sore, in such a good way. where done on a bench instead of standing so where harder than last weeks.

Chest supported EZ bar row.
    35kg x 8ish
    45kg x 8ish
    55kg x 8ish x2 all held at the top.

Db shrugs.
    4 sets of 10, 22.5kg bells. 30kg bells. 35kg bells. 30 kg bells. starting at 30 then going to 35, back to 30 then down to 22.5kg.

Pressouts.
    40kg x 10
    45kg x 10
    50kg x 10 x 2 All paused at the top of the shrug.

Grand old session. took me about an hour and a half, good fun

I was expecting today to be whopper boring but someone recognized me from teh single lifts, turns out he posts here and team test, By the name of jroc here. i think michael and Gill know him.
    squarepeg on tt? you're in a great spot now from the sounds of things, lots of good people training in raw from what I hear. Make the best of it!

yea its square pegg, yea its nice training with lads who know what theyre at!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I tried out the false grip aswell, i can do it on my right hand but the left keeps slipping.

I should be around tomorrow at 10 in RAW so if you are training tomorrow also around the same time ill show ya false grip. Were you trying them on the rings?

Yeah Peg mentioned he met you today also. He would be a good person to ask about low bar squatting as he switched from High to Low himself.

shant be around tomorow, may be around early monday and tuesday tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Nice seeing you again, chief.
    Pisser about the ankle :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

dude what is your workout like? you seem to have same goals as me.

Advertisement