Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Parsley wrote: »
    I would've but between the singles and now i've been doing gvt and bodybuilding ****e. back to PLing now though, gonna tear into 5/3/1! hopefully some more competing later in the year.

Quick tip for ya - two guys this weekend said 5/3/1 didn't suit them well at all for comp prep. Kevpants and Brutusthebarber. Just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

5/3/1 can work if you throw in some heavy work afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Hanley wrote: »
    Quick tip for ya - two guys this weekend said 5/3/1 didn't suit them well at all for comp prep. Kevpants and Brutusthebarber. Just something to consider.

Really? Cheers for that... well it'll still be a damn sight better than feckin gvt! Might have a think about how to modify it coming up to comp time or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Parsley wrote: »
    Really? Cheers for that... well it'll still be a damn sight better than feckin gvt! Might have a think about how to modify it coming up to comp time or something.

Tell ya what, start a thread on it. I'm sure the lads will all contribute with their experiences. I've been thru 5 cycles and don't rate it. I either went about it the wrong way, or it's just not for me.

Hanley wrote: »
    Tell ya what, start a thread on it. I'm sure the lads will all contribute with their experiences. I've been thru 5 cycles and don't rate it. I either went about it the wrong way, or it's just not for me.

I will now when i finish this lovely block of cheese! One thing i like about it is the deadlifting for reps lark. seems to do a load for most of the guys here on 531, cardio being a prime example :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Well done Eric,

Great achievment!

Thanks for the support on Saturday!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Congrats on the lifting, cardio!

What age are you again? 17?

BossArky wrote: »
    Congrats on the lifting, cardio!

What age are you again? 17?
    still 16 :/

EDIT: oh yea and thanks paul and boss :)

very daycent session! went in, 20 minutes of foam rolling my lower back, 5 minutes it bands and 5 minutes calves.

then i spent 45 minutes helping my friend fix his squats. getting his cues right and stuff. then we went over to the bench, and i wanted to try something out, anyone who was at the comp would have seen it.

there was people benching and to set up the arch, they had their hands and ass and feet in position, then they pushed their head up out from under the bar out infront of it, then reset, hard to explain i know. but here are the finished products...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

very daycent session! went in, 20 minutes of foam rolling my lower back, 5 minutes it bands and 5 minutes calves.

then i spent 45 minutes helping my friend fix his squats. getting his cues right and stuff. then we went over to the bench, and i wanted to try something out, anyone who was at the comp would have seen it.

there was people benching and to set up the arch, they had their hands and ass and feet in position, then they pushed their head up out from under the bar out infront of it, then reset, hard to explain i know. but here are the finished products...

Like set everything up with there head off the bench kinda job??

• Advertisement

heres my previous arch, set up using the feet on the bench method and walking backwards. this is what i used to use

DSCF0178.jpg?t=1269873235

This is the finished product, i know it doesnt look like it would make much of a difference but i think its over an inch in the differenceDSCF0177.jpg

Like set everything up with there head off the bench kinda job??
    exactly. hanley will probably be able to describe it better than me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

definitely more than an inch.

good set up.

takes some getting used to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

exactly. hanley will probably be able to describe it better than me

Think Dave Tate has a vid on that... or someone connected with efs

hmm, i actually know that video well, but the last time i watched it was about 6 months ago, ill report back in a min to see if i get anything from it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

All your vids are up on Anthony's Youtube page...

_JOE_ wrote: »
    All your vids are up on Anthony's Youtube page...
    cheers!!! much appreciated joe.

squat

my first squat, 145, failed as i racked it too early and had my elbow sleeves on :P. the side judge tried to tell me aswell!

2nd squat, 155, all good man!

3rd squat, 162.5, all good but quite the grind, it slipped into a high bar position at the top so had to fight it.

Bench
    first bench, 92.5, pretty mehtastic, head rose, pause was a bit small.

97.5 FAIL

Same again :P

Deadlift

200 Deadlift opener

210 deadlift

215, next time....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Savage lifting, especially for a years training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Great work! Was there anyone there in and around the same age as you and how did they compare to your lifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

good lifting Eric, well done.

the weakness in the squat seems to be on your right side/leg.
    left side/left leg looks strong
    Max efforts arent gonna look pretty though

Molly wrote: »
    Great work! Was there anyone there in and around the same age as you and how did they compare to your lifts?
    thanks liam and molly.

hmm, i think i was the 2nd youngest there, there was one 15 year old and the rest where 17-18.

overall i hit the highest total out of any teen lifter by 5-10kg i think.

but the best teen lifter was a 75kg lad who had some killer numbers, my squat and deadlift where both slightly higher than his but his bench was crazy good, he hit 110kg easily with a sick arch.
    his total was around 10kg lower than mine, but i was like 30kg heavier than him, next time...

went paintballing today, and im in absolute ruins, funny thing though, i was talking to one of the guys while putting on the overalls and he got a shock looking at my eye, went over and looked in a mirror and i have a popped blood vessel, lovely :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

and he got a shock looking at my eye, went over and looked in a mirror and i have a popped blood vessel, lovely :P

Hardcore, Cardio, Hardcore :cool:

ugh, really unsure what to do for training, considerations at the moment are smolov for squat and bench, but then i have no idea how to get deadlift on the days where im lifting 4 days a week. this is confusing as hell.

edit: hmm, ive been snooping around and came across smolov jr for bench.

so i could do smolov, 4 days a week, throw smolov jr on 3 of those days (1rm would be light) and then maybe deadlifts on the 4th day, once i get into the intense 3 day a week period i could throw some more stuff in, anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

ugh, really unsure what to do for training, considerations at the moment are smolov for squat and bench, but then i have no idea how to get deadlift on the days where im lifting 4 days a week. this is confusing as hell.

edit: hmm, ive been snooping around and came across smolov jr for bench.

so i could do smolov, 4 days a week, throw smolov jr on 3 of those days (1rm would be light) and then maybe deadlifts on the 4th day, once i get into the intense 3 day a week period i could throw some more stuff in, anyone have any ideas?

During smolov I didnt deadlift at all, and I pulled a 5kg PR after the base cycle, and some more PRs after the intense phase. With the amount of lower body work required with smolov, your deadlift should go up

Ive heard of a lot of people who started smolov and smolov junior for bench at the same time not being able to keep it up because of the elbow pain, and they usually end up dropping smolov jr.

yea that is one thing im considering, but i figure i could give it a shot anyway. i wasnt really thinking of a program for deadlifts per say, because as you said there is a ****load of lowerback work anyway, dya have any suggestions of how i could run it? im pretty much set on smolov for squatting anyway, im probably gonna project my max at 160 instead of 162.5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Couple of things I've picked up from Smolov so far.

- You do not need to deadlift. Just don't. You won't recover at all from doing it. IMO.
    - Smolov bench at the same time will be grand. As you are already mentioning elbow soreness it might be an idea to introduce some curls/pushdowns at the end of each session. Like nothing weight for a million reps.
    - You really don't need to do much assistance with this stuff. The sessions can be pretty gruelling like. I think I did some light rows the odd day. But that was it. Loads of mobility work though. Your foam roller will be your best friend.
    -One thing to remember is that you will be squatting and benching 4x a week. It will be tough.
    - When I ran the base.. I went Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. You will get used to the volume very fast.

Quote from one of the lads doing Smolov.. "I'd love to meet Smolov and shake his hand... then kick his ass!!"

Sums it up:D Hope some of this helps. I'll find what spreadsheet I used and link it here if you haven't already got one!!

Advertisement