Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

cheers brutus, i was about to ask you about spreadsheets but then i saw the end, is smolov for bench not 3 days a week btw? did you do any shoulder work? pretty much any help would be great man, starting tomorow like!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

yea that is one thing im considering, but i figure i could give it a shot anyway. i wasnt really thinking of a program for deadlifts per say, because as you said there is a ****load of lowerback work anyway, dya have any suggestions of how i could run it? im pretty much set on smolov for squatting anyway, im probably gonna project my max at 160 instead of 162.5

You might want to think about running it off 155kg,160kg is too close to your true 1rm IMO..
    As for deadlifting,you wont need to do much at all. The week before i started smolov i tested my max dl and i struggled to get 220kg up.I didnt dl at all during the base meso, and when i tested again at the end of it i did 230kg x2. I then ran the intense phase into the single lifts. Two weeks before the comp i pulled 240kg x1 and then 250kg on the day, all without doing much dl work at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

cheers brutus, i was about to ask you about spreadsheets but then i saw the end, is smolov for bench not 3 days a week btw? did you do any shoulder work? pretty much any help would be great man, starting tomorow like!

No problem man.

Nah I just ran the Smolov numbers for the bench as well and it worked out grand. I'm going through it again at the minute.

Again you can spread the whole thing out to 3x a week if you find it too demanding. Like you'll know yourself after the first week what way will work best for you.

I actually ran 531 shoulder press but I'd really advise against it. My elbows did not thank me for it at all. Your benching 4x a week, there really is no need to put in an extra pressing movement.

What are you setting your max bench at. Go lighter anyway. You want to be able to get through all the reps. I took 5kg off mine.

Right this is the stuff I did randomly in the gym. If your hell bent on doing assistance stuff then stick with these.. face pulls, curls, tricep push downs, foam rolling, foam rolling, foam rolling. That's it.

Some of the other lads might have done assistance stuff. But doing none worked for me!!:cool:

Oh yeah.. here is the spreadsheet I used
    There's an online calculator here: http://www.joeskopec.com/smolov.html
    Article here: http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=80
    Excel here: http://www.joeskopec.com/Smolov.xls

And the site where all this is linked: http://www.joeskopec.com/programs.html. Not to burst your bubble :)

Alrighty, heres the squat session coming up, note i estimated 170 after the base for the sake of example, it will be edited later

SQUATCYCLE.jpg?t=1270417573

i cant wait for 4x9 on 130....

• Advertisement

BENCHCYCLE.jpg?t=1270418181

heres the bench cycle. im gonna go with robs advise and keep assistance very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

everyone seems to be hopping on this Smolv bandwagon - I will be the only sadass left on 5/3/1 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Keep it simple dude - you're regularly posting new PRs all over the place on here. No need to do anything crazy like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Pavel66 wrote: »
    everyone seems to be hopping on this Smolv bandwagon - I will be the only sadass left on 5/3/1 :eek:

I'll be back on the 5/3/1 bandwagon in time. Some of us have to keep the faith :D

Bw this morning- 105kg.

Note to self never ever ever again attempt a smolov session without breakfast, you will die!

• Advertisement

Smolov squat session. TF BAR
    Base mesocycle. week 1 , day 1.
    Squats:
    9 x 110, absolutly god awful and hard, sh1t form
    9 x 110, slightly better, still hard as hell.
    9 x 110, came together on this set, form dialed, easier.
    9 x 110, never any worry about reps, all good, just tired.

Smolov jr. Bench TF BAR
    week 1 day 1.
    Bench:
    6 x 65kg
    6 x 65kg
    6 x 65kg
    6 x 65kg lol, was told to keep my back on the bench.
    6 x 65kg
    6 x 65kg all sets where strong, all paused. comp style. last 2 where the best.

Assistance work.

EZ bar curls setted with foam rolling.(legs nd back)
    20KG X 15 x 3. in Tk sleeves.

Face pulls.
    **** no.

Thoughts:
    this is no ****ing joke, i almost vomited after squats, probably would have if i didnt get my belt off in the end.

elbows and wrists are feeling fantastic, only problem was i popped 6 spots on my back and the last two sets werent comfy!

the curls where lighter than i can do cause the sleeves add resistance.

i may be breaking up future sessions into am squats and pm bench. we'll see how it goes.

Btw, when i say TF bar it means that the sets i used it for could have been between 0-2kg heavier. and squatting on an oly bar sucks, i need my power bar back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

looks like the squat calculator you are using is calculated in lbs, so its rounding it up wrong. You should have a 10kg jump in week 2, then another 5kg in week 3

I used this calculator:
    http://www.joeskopec.com/smolov.html

There are a few errors in it for the intense phase, but the BMS is correct

podge57 wrote: »
    looks like the squat calculator you are using is calculated in lbs, so its rounding it up wrong. You should have a 10kg jump in week 2, then another 5kg in week 3

I used this calculator:

cheers for the heads up man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Cardio just back form hols so only saw your vids now... I wouldn't have done smolov at all personally, I would get that right leg sorted out, it's affecting your squat and deadlift big time. Maybe a screening test off a good s&c coach (or a good physio) would do you the world of good and if you get the problem sorted you would probably add a few extra kg's. Unfortunately with Smolov all it is going to do is make it worse and it could **** you up in the future. Sorry for the late post, nothing worse hearing when your going into the hardest program possible!

ive started to mentally correct myself about it actually, just couldnt do anything about it coming up to the competition. Today it wasnt too bad, drifted maybe 2 inches. ill start videotaping sets next week , training this week is way too early to get the camera out.

podge57 wrote: »

I used this calculator:

paul i just got time to look at this? mine and the one you linked me seemed the exact same.

edit: just noticed it, the intense phase seems fairly accurate, but the base meso is off.

im just going to plug in my max in lbs and see what i come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

paul i just got time to look at this? mine and the one you linked me seemed the exact same.

edit: just noticed it, the intense phase seems fairly accurate, but the base meso is off.

im just going to plug in my max in lbs and see what i come out with.

Did you change the increment value to kg?

on the one you posted, there is a 15kg jump between week 1 and 2

in the end i couldnt figure out their calculator so i used yours and took a print screen of it. 5 x 7 at 117kg tomorow.

training times for the next week are going to be hectic as hell.
    will be squatting tomorow morning at 6:30 am, and benching if i have time (energy) if not ill be doing it at 8pm

Dave, on the knee tracking in, it only seems to be my right knee, are their any single leg exercises youd reccomend to help me strengthen the weakness. to be brutally honest i have no plans on seeing a S&C coach or a physio about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Dave, on the knee tracking in, it only seems to be my right knee, are their any single leg exercises youd reccomend to help me strengthen the weakness. to be brutally honest i have no plans on seeing a S&C coach or a physio about it.

TBH you can't recommend an exercise if you do not know what the problem is. I would guess it is the glute but it could be something completely different. Maybe try some 1 legged squats and same with step ups, trying to activate the glute as much as possible in each of them. Step ups drive from your heel and do not roll forward. Video them from different angles and then you can rule out if it is the glute or not. Do the left leg as well

I stopped doing my own blog here coz of a shoulder injury and it took a physio, myself and another trainer to figure it out. A chiropractor and another physio failed miserably beforehand. I had dominance in my chest from benching too much as a kid, a dislocated clavicle that was wrecking my right side, especially my trap, previous shoulder injury on right shoulder also had lead to minor scoliosis. This affected so many exercise including my squat, I was falling into one side and it actually caused damage to my right knee, joints are fu4ked.
    So as you can see it can be anything. Best advice is a top notch sports physio. Believe it could be worth the €50 rather than potentially missing out on next years national over something simple (well hopefully simple!).
    You have to realise lifting that heavy a weight all the time is putting you under so much pressure, and more dominance on whatever is dominating, further weakening the other. any instability or potential injury is so dangerous for you. It is not half as bad when your lifting average weight, but something like smolov, high risk.

Cheers dave, ill look into it.

im going to do my thoughts now, while they're still fresh in my head. Today was, without a doubt, one of the most fun sessions ive ever had in a gym. took me 105 minutes to get through it. the mirror in the squat rack was covered in a mixture of blood,sweat,spit and possibly tears from when i got too close to the amonia.

Looking at my journal now , it looks like someone gave michael J fox a hit of caffeine and asked him to be my scribe.

there was 2 reps in the session i thought i was going to miss, one squat, one bench, the squat one was when i started to lean a bit too far forward and the bar rolled. the bench was when i touched too low.

knee tracking was way better today.One rep in the entire session i was disapointed with, and that was the rep i thought i was going to lose. I know dave said smolov is probably the worst thing for it. but i actually think the volume is giving me more time to work on it. we'll see how it plays out.

My rest sets where spent hovering over a bin, i dry heaved twice , the rest was just precautions.

ive never had such severe ab doms in my entire life. feels cool!

on paper this session looked easier than yesterdays, and in truth all the reps where easier, but 12 sets was no joke.

Smolov Squat.
    base meso week 1 day 2 tuesday TF BAR

Squats:
    115kg x 5 x 7 just noticed id written down in my journal that there where two reps where my knee drifted, one was in the 4th set, cant remember where the other one was.

Smolov Bench.
    week 1 day 2 tuesday TF BAR.

Bench:
    7 x5 70kg, all reps paused bar the first one in set 2.
    all unracked on my own . back arch was non existant, way too tired to set it up. There was literally no one in the weight room to spot me.

Assistance. **** no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Cardio you're going to ****ing kill yourself, there's no way this should be that tough already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

If your thinking that your going to miss reps after the first two sessions then the weights are probably set a bit too high.

I'm not sure what other people think on this but IMHO I think pausing each rep is overkill. Especially if you set it too close to your max.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's not like he's going to listen anyway...

ill get through it, i usually lift in the evenings, i was up at 5:30 this morning. and i know that that was a jibe hanley but yea,i wont listen, so theres no point.

btw: i know its gonna look like im making excuses, but if you look at my post, the only reason i thought i was gonna lose a rep was technique flaws from getting lazy, and well in the first session i hadnt lifted a weight in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

ill get through it, i usually lift in the evenings, i was up at 5:30 this morning. and i know that that was a jibe hanley but yea,i wont listen, so theres no point.

so, 4/5 people recommend you slow down, get an imbalance checked out and/or lower the weights your tearing into and still a resounding no?

come on man, dont cut your nose off to spite your face

yep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

your funeral man. that's all i'm gonna say.

Advertisement