Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<Mod Snip>: Offensive term removed </Mod Snip> Regards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Parsley wrote: »
    your funeral man. that's all i'm gonna say.

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Now that Hanley has gone to the dark side you are my new GOD Eric :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

lol, ill see if i make it through the rest of the week before being crowned the messiah :P. by the way, i should be getting a few videos tomorow of squats, most likely 2, last 2 sets ,one from the side one from the front.

SMOLOV Squats, week 1 day 3, thursday. TF BAR

Squats:
    122.5 x 7 x 5 Easy as hell to be honest , just took a while

Bench
    75 x 8 x 4, all paused no touch and go reps.

Thoughts:
    session took around 2hrs 10 minutes, but i was talking to alot of people, there was no tought squat reps, didnt use amonia at all for it. sets where all fast, bench was tought, but screw it, i was expecting it to get tougher.

Now for the gayest excuse ever that no one ever believes, my camera ran out of battery after like 6 seconds. seriously, i realise how crap this sounds but it proper did! , and i cant find the charger for it or my ipod.

I did notice something though, my right knee didnt track in any more than my left knee today, they both came in around the 4th and 5th rep of the sets by about an inch and a half. gonna be hard to diagnose anything without a vid so i hope to have one by the 10x3 sets. Man this sounds like such a lie :P.

ive noticed that the lower rep sets are way easier for me aswell. so the 4x9 day is gonna be my toughest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

When I saw your 6.30am session you had me ringing RAW thinking they were opening earlier now! But they ain't :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhh the camera was dead,the oldest trick in the book :pac:

Nice work on the squats..

i know man, such a lame excuse, although i found the charger and the red light is blinking, so i have none for the weekend!

Ok, seriously, whats the deal with this, ive seen this in a few places now, what is the deal with having like no doms after the third day, its been around 12 hours since ive trained and ive got like nothing, chest is a bit sore, but nothing to write home about , is there like a scientific explanation to it?

Smolov squats, day 4 week 1 TF BAR
    Squats:
    132.5 x 10 x 3 , first set with belt loose.

now i thought that on paper 132 x 10 x 3 looked easy. so instead of using 130 on the bar and making up for it with the fact that the bar is heavier i put on 132.5 , my god im sore, the weight itself didnt actually feel that heavy, but i couldnt get my elbows under the bar at all because they where too sore, que some ropey ass reps.

ive got videos of set 7 ( i think, could be 8) and set 10. see the comparisons. this took me around 2 hours so im going to bench tommorow out in RAW.

anyone wanna see how low my low bar is?

DSCF0190.jpg?t=1270814059

• Advertisement

i actually have 4 sets, 5th, 8th ,9th,10th. jeez my memory is terrible, throwing them together now.

2 hours in the gym well spent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Smolov squats, day 4 week 1 TF BAR
    Squats:
    132.5 x 10 x 3 , first set with belt loose.

now i thought that on paper 132 x 10 x 3 looked easy. so instead of using 130 on the bar and making up for it with the fact that the bar is heavier i put on 132.5 , my god im sore, the weight itself didnt actually feel that heavy, but i couldnt get my elbows under the bar at all because they where too sore, que some ropey ass reps.

ive got videos of set 7 ( i think, could be 8) and set 10. see the comparisons. this took me around 2 hours so im going to bench tommorow out in RAW.

2 hours for the 10 sets>?

well around an hour and 20 minutes for the sets, i warm up alot. shoulders take about 20 minutes to warm up alone, but the only reason the breaks where so long was because of elbow pain. hasnt really bothered me on any other day...

well around an hour and 20 minutes for the sets, i warm up alot. shoulders take about 20 minutes to warm up alone, but the only reason the breaks where so long was because of elbow pain. hasnt really bothered me on any other day...

You are going to fall apart!!

A3BS0166.jpg

I found this stuff great when i was doing smolov, used to cover myself in it :pac:

where ya get it?

where ya get it?
    I've been known to liberate unused medicines from relatives:pac:

I'm pretty sure you can get it OTC in pharmacies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Or try these...Growacet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Are you squatting in a cycling jersey?

Thats awesome.

yea, kona to be exact, biking is still my true love :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

your right knee is ****ed my man, plain and simple, it's getting worse. No excuse, especially with the 10 mins break per set!

I am gonna hinder a guess and say you have a similar thing to what i had. Look at your back photo, your right shoulder (not just the angle of the pic, look at the difference where the bar is sitting, its obvious your right trap is higher (probably due to your scap). Believe it our not something like this can also effect your stance and hence your right leg tracking in so badly, its not even tracking anymore, it is caving in.
    Sorry if I am coming across harsh but I would hate for an athlete of your capability to wreck himself for the next year coz of a preventive injury

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

d-gal wrote: »
    your right knee is ****ed my man, plain and simple, it's getting worse. No excuse, especially with the 10 mins break per set!

I am gonna hinder a guess and say you have a similar thing to what i had. Look at your back photo, your right shoulder (not just the angle of the pic, look at the difference where the bar is sitting, its obvious your right trap is higher (probably due to your scap). Believe it our not something like this can also effect your stance and hence your right leg tracking in so badly, its not even tracking anymore, it is caving in.
    Sorry if I am coming across harsh but I would hate for an athlete of your capability to wreck himself for the next year coz of a preventive injury

This.

You can be p!ssed off if you want for me saying it, but it's for your own good - those squats are fcuking pig ugly and you're not getting thru Smolov like that.

yea, the bar rolls weird on my right side, as in it will roll forward easier than on my left. this is ****ing confusing as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hanley wrote: »
    This.

You can be p!ssed off if you want for me saying it, but it's for your own good - those squats are fcuking pig ugly and you're not getting thru Smolov like that.
    agreed - weak adductors are causing the knee rotation and it means on the way up you have to bow forwards more and let your lower back do more of the lifting (the belt will hid some of this).
    Cant train when you are injured man and by the sounds of things you have scar tissue all over the place from your training

so whats the suggestions here lads, drop the squatting completely for a while or what, i was thinking about getting some bands for my knees,

and what about the upper body thing? scap something or other, im not competing till november so lets ****ing sort the **** out, No point in being any more of an idiot about it.

Transform wrote: »
    agreed - weak adductors are causing the knee rotation and it means on the way up you have to bow forwards more and let your lower back do more of the lifting (the belt will hid some of this).
    Cant train when you are injured man and by the sounds of things you have scar tissue all over the place from your training

scar tissue???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Transform wrote: »

You cannot be sure of that, actually it is impossible to tell from a video, could just as easily be a weakness in the glute. As I said before he needs to get checked out one2one with a professional and go thru a number of things before deciding on what to do.

Cardio, my advice is just to knock Smolov on the head for now. You have so many knocks and bumps and I would say just give in and pay the 50 odd quid for a proper check of everything. It's that or end up getting injured and paying for 20 sessions to get fixed back up again. So get that weakness sorted.
    Your elbow(s) probably have strained ligaments from the amount of work they have been put thru, so a bit of rest will help ease it. It could also be tricep tendonitis or at worst nerve pain. Best is just lay of benching, maybe try dumbbell presses to help stabilize the elbow more, decline being the best. Also flyes do little to no harm. Nothing too heavy. Icing it afterwards would prevent inflammation too.
    All in all your only a teenager, go out and enjoy yourself and ease up on the seriousness of training for a bit..you have plenty of time to beat Hanleys junior record!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

d-gal wrote: »
    You cannot be sure of that, actually it is impossible to tell from a video, could just as easily be a weakness in the glute. As I said before he needs to get checked out one2one with a professional and go thru a number of things before deciding on what to do.

Cardio, my advice is just to knock Smolov on the head for now. You have so many knocks and bumps and I would say just give in and pay the 50 odd quid for a proper check of everything. It's that or end up getting injured and paying for 20 sessions to get fixed back up again. So get that weakness sorted.
    Your elbow(s) probably have strained ligaments from the amount of work they have been put thru, so a bit of rest will help ease it. It could also be tricep tendonitis or at worst nerve pain. Best is just lay of benching, maybe try dumbbell presses to help stabilize the elbow more, decline being the best. Also flyes do little to no harm. Nothing too heavy. Icing it afterwards would prevent inflammation too.
    All in all your only a teenager, go out and enjoy yourself and ease up on the seriousness of training for a bit..you have plenty of time to beat Hanleys junior record!

i agree with all of this.
    could be an idea to see an S & C coach for a fucntional screen too and target the imbalances and weaknesses for a while and then build on what is a VERY solid foundation when you have it all sorted out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

so whats the suggestions here lads, drop the squatting completely for a while or what, i was thinking about getting some bands for my knees,

and what about the upper body thing? scap something or other, im not competing till november so lets ****ing sort the **** out, No point in being any more of an idiot about it.

Thank god. Well played dude. If you want my non qualified advice (from the row you're walking now), it's this;
    -get yourself looked at by a sports physio with a good reputation, one who'll look for dysfunction and what's causing it, not just treat the symptom.
    -do what they say
    -keep training, but back off a bit

The little stuff like dormant glutes, weakness, incorrect firing patterns etc etc are so easy to fix, but if you ignore them the injuries that come outta them can be HUGE.
    i agree with all of this.
    could be an idea to see an S & C coach for a fucntional screen too and target the imbalances and weaknesses for a while and then build on what is a VERY solid foundation when you have it all sorted out.

Whatever happened to just getting stronger??? :D:D

• Advertisement

yea , i was talking to COH today and he gave me the number of a sports physio, booking a session for the week, see what happens anyway, and d-gal, i know it sounds stupid, but i literally cannot stop benching, its the one thing i can keep improving on at the moment.

Imbalances are the ****ing gheyest things ever...

Advertisement