Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type of wood for hen-house

Options
  • 14-04-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Construction of a hen-house for 3 to 4 chickens begins in earnest next week. I have a plan drawn up showing the relevant perch/nest box sizes etc but does anyone have any suggestions on the type of wood I should use? I was thinking of osb for the walls combined with shiplap cladding to help insulate and protect from the elements.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

Hi.
    I've just finished a house for hens - and took no advice about the type of wood. Mine is built from scraps left over from building a few years ago.
    So long as it keeps them dry and safe from foxes!
    Also, some of what i read suggests that you provide ventilation so as the little ladies don't overheat. Apparently they provide about half of their manure at night -this means that making the thing easy to clean is essential!
    Good luck, I'm trying to source some hens now.

Advertisement