Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Anime of all Time

Options
  • 14-04-2009 1:25pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Think its about time this thread is started, to end the debate of what is the best Anime of all time (up until today :P), whether it be the Evangalion series, or the classic 80's ones such as Doraemon! :D

So, heres the rules:

- Anime nominations can include once off films, spin-offs and OVA's.
    - Two nominations from each user only.
    - The top 10 nominations at the end of April goes into a poll that will be run until the end of may.
    - No games based on Anime may be included, i.e 'I nominate Pokemon Pearl' :rolleyes:

Thats it i suppose! Get nominating! I await the nominations and a few suprises along the way :D

EDIT: Would appreciate a mod sticky for this one please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Think its about time this thread is started, to end the debate of what is the best Anime of all time

Foolish human. This debate will never end!

I'll vote Azumanga Daioh and Elfen Lied.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fist of the north star or else devil man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I will not participate in this, as my appreciation of anime means that I can never stand still, and must always move forward.

But if you mean "Best up to 2008", I vote Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, or maybe Princess Mononoke. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I don't think I need to suggest anything else.

I honestly don't think I could think of a second one.

No, wait.

Xam'd: Lost Memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

%5Blarge%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dwallpapers_Tengen-Toppa-Gurren-Lagann_Viktormon(1.6)__THISRES__78536.jpg

Best I've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Berserk or Spirited away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bonjob

my greatest anime of all time is
    SPECIAL A. it's because of its outstanding
    graphics and nice story plot.
    i'm really impressed in this anime.
    so if you still haven't watched this,
    better check it out dude. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I vote Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, or maybe Princess Mononoke. :)
    I second both of these. I'm trying to whittle it down but these have to be mentioned too - 5cm per Second, FLCL and Cowboy Bebop.

Mononoke is my favourite though so I'll pick it as my nomination.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

you can have two nominations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Princess Mononoke
    Elfen Lied

Really not getting all of the Gurren Lagann love here... It's a good show, but best ever???
    Finding it hard to push myself to watch the last 7 episodes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

I vote for THE ENVELOPING FACE WHICH IS THE MOUNTAIN-SCREW OF THE CRIMSON LOTUS, SHATTERING HEAVENS AND DIMENSIONS!
    (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

As for a second one... I dunno, the original FMA maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

you can have two nominations :)
    In that case its Mononoke and Cowboy Bebop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Evangelion,easily.Elfen Lied comes second for me.An intellectual feast and a visual treat respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Its really hard for me to pick just two, but I've come up with Serial Experiments Lain and Mushishi. I've changed those twice while writing this post.

Yer really into yer Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Princess Mononoke and Gungrave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Otaku Girl wrote: »
    Evangelion,easily.Elfen Lied comes second for me.An intellectual feast and a visual treat respectively.

BEWBZ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Hellsing / Hellsing Ultimate
    Cowboy Bebop

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Makes it kind of difficult when you lump films in with series to make a choice.

You'd never ask what is your favourite film and/or television show would you?

I'm just going to go with anime series anyway,

And I'll say Azumanga Daioh and Paranoia Agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Rocket!

Just watched Princess Mononoke last night and I have to say, that was fcuking AMAZING! One of the best films I've ever seen anime or otherwise. Great dialogue, fantastic musical score, beautiful artwork and an out and out unforgettable story. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I watched Spirited Away a couple of weeks ago. It was a great film but didnt live up to what I was expecting. I think I had let the hype set the bar too high, but it doesnt matter, Mononoke more than made up for that.

I havnt watched a huge amount of anime series but the best so far have definitely been Full Metal Alchemist and Gungrave. The earlier episodes of Bleach are up there too(just before the Bounts arc).

So for me...

Princess Mononoke
    and
    Full Metal Alchemist

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

Elfen Lied, Full Metal Alchemist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Code Geass
    and
    Full Metal Alchemist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I've always been fond of 'Dead Leaves' and the segment 'Magnetic Rose' in 'Memories'.

This changes all the time though, i watched 'Mind Game' a few weeks back and that was a fantastic mindf*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Difficult choice, but best film has to be Grave of the Fireflies (1988).

Best series - well Cowboy Bebop had some of the best visuals/storylines/music-combos ever, but Serial Experiments Lain (1998) has to win out for the complete mind-blowing depth and philosophy and an ending which, to this day, haunts me a little despite being perfectly in keeping with the series.

Hmmm... maybe I'm just picking out anime I found traumatic??? :pac:

Magnetic Rose was brilliant, all right - kinda has that instantly recognisable feel of a 1980s piece of high-craft anime. You are rooting for certain characters to make it - and you're never sure until the titles roll if they will or not.

Lagann was good - interesting drawing style, a couple of hooks that caught my attention - but I stopped watching after it got licensed around episode 14 or so. Judging by this board, it must have gotten bloody fantastic from episode 15 on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

No edit button for my previous post (??) so nullify my vote for Azumanga Daioh and replace it with Welcome To The NHK, I've just been reminded of how fantastic that series was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Ghost in the Shell (primarily Stand Alone Complex) followed closely by Gurren Lagann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Welcome to the NHK is awesome alright, definitely one of my all-time favourites.

What about Great Teacher Onizuka? Never hear anyone here mention it and I thought it was absolutely awesome (though I didn't really like the actual animation style too much)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Funky wrote: »
    What about Great Teacher Onizuka? Never hear anyone here mention it and I thought it was absolutely awesome (though I didn't really like the actual animation style too much)

O/T, but did you ever see the live-action versions? They are absolutely fantastic - three times better than the anime. Some plot and character changes, but funny as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

psicic wrote: »
    O/T, but did you ever see the live-action versions? They are absolutely fantastic - three times better than the anime. Some plot and character changes, but funny as hell.

Knew it existed but assumed it would be pants, must check it out. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

psicic wrote: »
    Judging by this board, it must have gotten bloody fantastic from episode 15 on...

It got pretty intense. Enjoyable to the last.

'Grave of the Fireflies' was a marvelous piece of storytelling. Terribly sad as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

some interesting choices!

One week left till nominations close

Advertisement