Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best credit card for rewards

Options
  • 14-04-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Im looking to change my credit card from BOI as i get nothing from this card in terms of rewards. i use my card quite a bit from booking flights etc, online shopping to groceries. and would always pay the bill on time so %APR is not that important.
    im basically looking for a card that i could earn something worthwhile as i use it so much

is the Ryanair card worthwhile? with the free flights or do you still have to pay the taxes? also is there a time limit within which you have to use the flights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/finance/creditcards/index.jsp

I dont know anything about the ryanair one but if you use it for groceries and such the tesco one might be a decent option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i use the tesco one, i basically put everything over a tenners worth on it (and pay it fortnightly when i get paid).

every quarter i get 100 to 150 euro worth of tesco vouchers from it.

had the ryanair one before and never managed to get a free flight, wouldnt recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

fifib wrote: »
    is the Ryanair card worthwhile? with the free flights or do you still have to pay the taxes? also is there a time limit within which you have to use the flights?

You still have to pay taxes.

You have to select and pay for the flights over the phone. Ryanair will provide a certain number of seats on individual routes and flights, so the price online may be different that online.

The code does have an expiry date, valid for eight months from the date of issue but is not valid for non-travel periods and the bonus return flight must be booked and flown within that eight month period and not be permitted during the months of July and August.

One month advance purchase is required for bookings.

No name, time, dates, route changes allowed.

Wont get your voucher back in the event that you cancel your reservation.

For all the above i no longer use this card.

Offer:

Buy and fly on five return flights to get a free return flight.

If you spend €2,000 in a calendar quarter you will receive one bonus return flight.

If you spend over €5,000 you will receive a pair of return flights.
    Bonus return flights are only available in the name of the Ryanair Credit Card account holder and may not be transferred.

Other cards:

You could look at tesco, but i wont use without an online banking facility.

Pigsback.com - You will also receive 2000 PiggyPoints when your account is opened and you make your first card purchases. In addition you will earn one PiggyPoint for every 2 Euros you spend on your card.

Axa card - when you use your AXA Gold Credit Card for card purchases, you'll get 1 AXA point for every €2 that you spend. Each point earned will reduce your premium by one cent. Get 4000 on startup

Davy wrote: »
    You could look at tesco, but i wont use without an online banking facility.

yeah this really bugged me at the start with the tesco card, but they have a freephone number where you can check your transactions, so its manageable. and you can still set it up to be paid through your 24hr banking.

biggest issue i have with the tesco one is the relatively low limit and they will only increase it every 6 months and by relatively small amounts

sam34 wrote: »
    yeah this really bugged me at the start with the tesco card, but they have a freephone number where you can check your transactions, so its manageable. and you can still set it up to be paid through your 24hr banking.

Not good enough for me really. Want to see the transactions online as they happen. Its in their own interest i would have thought for fraud transactions where it can be reported and acted on a lot sooner. This is the same reason i cancelled my halifax credit card.

• Advertisement

i asked the tesco crowd if they were going to introduce online accounts and they said hopefully within a year.... that was 18 months ago so im no longer holding my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i had a halifax card last year under the €100 free offer but their online banking was a joke and they promised to match my previous balance but didnt...didnt even come close to it! my balance now is a bit OTT so i dont mind coming down to a low limit..least i cant get carried away that way!
    i will look into the tescos card the vouchers would come in very handy for shopping!
    thanks for all your advise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

sam34 wrote: »
    biggest issue i have with the tesco one is the relatively low limit and they will only increase it every 6 months and by relatively small amounts

can i ask you sam how low the limit for the tesco card is...im going on a holiday next month and would usually use it for store purchases instead of using ATMs abroad...im wondering should i wait with BOI until then and switch after
    thanks

when i got it the limit was €700, they increased it to 1500 after 6 months and to 2500 in another 6 months.

they said the limit was low initially so they could monitor how "appropriately" i managed the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

fifib wrote: »
    i had a halifax card last year under the €100 free offer but their online banking was a joke and they promised to match my previous balance but didnt...didnt even come close to it! my balance now is a bit OTT so i dont mind coming down to a low limit..least i cant get carried away that way!
    i will look into the tescos card the vouchers would come in very handy for shopping!
    thanks for all your advise :)

Does anyone know if the Halifax online banking is still really bad? They seem to have good rates and wouldnt refuse €100 free.
    With MBNA at the moment, the pigsback.com card. They halved the points I receive and along with high interest rates and €15.24 for late payment by 1 day (payment was due a few days earlier than usual because 28 days in Feb) last month I am definitely changing now.

• Advertisement

kc66 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Halifax online banking is still really bad? They seem to have good rates and wouldnt refuse €100 free.
    With MBNA at the moment, the pigsback.com card. They halved the points I receive and along with high interest rates and €15.24 for late payment by 1 day (payment was due a few days earlier than usual because 28 days in Feb) last month I am definitely changing now.

Halifax online banking is fine, apart from seeing Visa Credit transactions. You can see Visa Debit transactions. This isnt much help to you though.

Have a look HERE, it will help you pick a card if you are going to move from pigsback card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Tesco are supposed to be in the process of bringing their Finance products in house. RBS have been managing them up to now. BTW, the Tesco freephone number on the back of your card no longer works. Dial 1800 555742 instead of ...743

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭robo

Davy wrote: »
    Not good enough for me really. Want to see the transactions online as they happen. Its in their own interest i would have thought for fraud transactions where it can be reported and acted on a lot sooner. This is the same reason i cancelled my halifax credit card.
    I am the same, shopping around to change mine cos with Halifax, I can't see my transactions as they happen, to see how much I have spent and make sure that no fraud happens. I was thinking of the Tesco one, for the points. But now that it has been confirmed that there is no online facility, I might wait before changing! It is so annoying.

Advertisement