Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running Leg Pain

• 14-04-2009 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey All,

Wondering if anybody has had any similar experience to mine below...

I am a regular runner, and have competed in a few duathlons here and there. Would like to start to take the sport a lot more seriously and get down to some real training, but anytime I do any sort of long run (>15k) I get this pain on the inside of my lower left leg, just below the half way point between my ankle and knee, right on the edge of the bone. I should point out that I have quite flat feet...

Some background... Till now, I have been running in a pair of Ascics Kayano's. I bought these on the assumption that since I have flat feet, I must be a pronator. I started to do a bit of reading on the leg pain and from what I found on the net, it seems to be "posterior shin splints" possibly caused by my flat feet.

The ascics were starting to show a bit of wear, so I decided it was time to take the plunge and have my gait analysed and get a new pair of loafers. So I load up my credit card and off I go to Amphibian King in Bray. The girl there was super helpful (and gorgeous :)), and really seemed to know what she was talking about. As it turns out I ain't a pronator at all (but do have very flat feet), so she recommended a pair of Brooks Adrenalines (which I love).

Basically I have two questions here
    1. Is it likely that the leg pain was caused simply by wearing the wrong shoes.
    2. What extra steps should somebody with flat feet (but not a pronator) be taking to avoid injury.
    I am yet to take the Brooks out for a long run, so will likely have the answer to question 1 by the weekend myself, but I just wanted to see if anybody else on the forum has had similar experiences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Caoimhin. wrote: »
    Basically I have two questions here
    1. Is it likely that the leg pain was caused simply by wearing the wrong shoes.
    2. What extra steps should somebody with flat feet (but not a pronator) be taking to avoid injury.

Unfortunately nobody here will be able to answer your first question as we have a 'no anecdotal and amateur medical advice' rule on the forum.

Somebody may be able to direct you to good sites on the other question though.

Advertisement