Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax

Options
  • 14-04-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I would have thought a property tax would have worked like in the old days - i.e. market value of property over a threshold taxed at 1.5% if annual income of owner > a threshold.

However, the central bank has come out with the bizarre statement that a "1000e tax on all 1.7 million properties in the state will yield 1.7Bn"
    (Exchequer needs a further 1.75B at least apparently)

I know the commission report is due out "later this year".
    Just speculating as to how this would work and wondering what impact it would have on property prices.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The only way is down on prices and this factor pushes it stronger.

It should really be based on ability to pay along with a magic formula on worth, instead of just a flat tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Trying to calculate worth in the current climate would be difficult unless it was based on square footage or something like that. If it was based on market value imagine the impact it would have on prices as they would be revised down to avoid tax.

Advertisement