Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Technology to use?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

A friend of mine wants a website. It very simple and straight forward.
    Will require people to register.
    Store these details in a DB.
    Scheduled Task/Cron to auto send an email.
    Website owners want to regularly update the site - so an admin page

My preference is django - but unsure over hosting. Webfaction are US based I would prefer Irish based. Price is big concern for them. IE: LOW

So Im leaning towards a CMS - never tried joomla before - but from my reading it seems very easy. I think it will suit. But yet again I am unsure over hosting - is there many places that do it in Ireland (CHEAP).

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Basic shared hosting in Ireland is around 40-60 euro per year. Unless the site is quite busy then this should be enough.
    I would guess that all will support PHP and therefore Joomla and other PHP based CMSs.

I don't know about python support for Django.

Edit: I did see one with python for only e30/year (presumably before VAT).

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

So do you reckon Joomla would do the trick is what Im really asking? Or should I go with something completley different?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

warrenaldo wrote: »
    So do you reckon Joomla would do the trick is what Im really asking? Or should I go with something completley different?
    I only use CMS Made Simple because I found it easier to learn than Joomla.

I am sure that Joomla will work for you - it has tons of extensions. I suggest asking on the Joomla Forum to get a complete answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

OK,

So this morning I installed Joomla and messed about with it - It does seem quite complex for what it does. Lots of features - but its just seems very complicated. I might give it another chance at some stage.

CMS Made simple - installed it there - foloowing some tutorial. Everything went well - but it is extremely slow. So I cant really get into it - Anything I do takes 30+ secs to refresh the page.

So, now i am thinking maybe I would be better off just doing it in .NET and writing a custom admin interface.

Is there anything else that could be recommended - Is Drupal worth checking out - or is it very similar to Joomla?

Or anything new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I'd say if you want the least amount of hassle and don't mind sacrificing a bit of control then Joomla or similar is probably your best bet. The only requirement of concern beyond that you mentioned is with regards the CRON job. Joomla (AFAIK anyway) isn't going to do that for you. Many shared hosting control panels allow you to set up a cron job manually which is seperate to the web technologies you employ.

If you find a way where you can programmatically create a cron job on a *nix shared host using something like PHP, please let me know ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement