Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you treat abusive opponents online?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I've been playing online for a while now (fifa09 mainly) but recently I’ve been getting more and more abuse from opponents if i win or lose, last night was the final straw.
    I beat a guy 3-1, I was obviously the better player and got a message after the game "you're an f***n c**t, bum boy, etc"

What do you do? Ignore them or return it back as good as?
    Any funny experiences with bad losers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Just say 'thanks' , makes them even angrier, they're just sore losers :)

Except in multiplayer games...if theyre on your own team and start teamkilling or abusing. I used to forget about the score/leaderboard in Battlefield2 and make it a point to ruin that persons game....I'd tk the **** out of him for annoyin me. Be a medic, Knife-revive-knife-revive-knife-revive etc :P

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

i like your style :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Laugh at the noobs.

Of course, this only works when I'm better than them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Most of the time, they get the /ignore. If they are really abusive for no reason, or i just dont like them, i'll report them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hasn't happened to me much until I started playing SFIV online. I keep getting messages off people I beat telling me how **** I am. Bunch of twats tbh. They get the ignore treatment. As for being abusive in game, I have some fun and lay into them. I've had people crying on the other side of the mic. Serves them right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Whatever they say like " Your a F@GG0T", just turn it around on them ...for instance , Well then you just got beaten by a F@GG0T then didn't you etc etc!! That'll shut them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I love getting abusive messages on Live! Makes me feel like a big man after I've battered some yank teenager on SFIV or Halo.

Again this only works if you've won.

Getting whooped by a yank teenager makes me cry and vow to give up gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I used to love the in-game mail you could get on Eve-Online, when i used to play the game many moons ago i used to Pirate in Low Sec.

We had a whole section of forum deadicated to abusive mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If it's over Xbox Live, make sure you file a complaint (not just negative feedback) against that profile. If it's text, even better as it's more proof. It could get them banned from XBL.

Luckily I've never been singled out for abuse. People have joined games and given abuse to everyone with a headset. If someone annoys me like that, I mute them and submit negative feedback. I was in a game with a couple of English guys calling each other "Packies" last night. I think they were just mates messing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The amount of abuse you get is directly proportional to how good you are so least you know your good! Id be more worried if someone said "You were excellent well played" !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I love getting such mails. I usually go to town on their grammar, sentence structure and place of residence.

After beating a vastly superior player 2-0 in Ultimate Team, I got a message saying that he'd hammer me with real teams. I told him not to get annoyed, but that if he practiced more, he might get better at the game. I also gave him advice on how to play and to check fifa for some tutorials.

He went mad and started sending voice mails asking to play him in a regular match, but I told him he was wasting valuable practice time. What was funny was I rested my main strike force for the game and Dave Kitson got both goals :D

Another guy said I was a cheating f***ing Irish p***k. I asked him why and he said I boosed the pace of all my UT players to 99 (they are 79, 85, 85 and 81). I told him that I bought a coach that augmented the pace of my training cards, thus gaining a significant advantage in that area. I also said that some people call this employing tactics or using the brain, neither of which you have.

I have also insulted the British education system many many times.

great laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

He got SERVED !!! :)

wp !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

If they call you gay or a fa**ot just chase them in game saying you want to give them a big virtual hug. Works especially well on FPS multiplayer.

Combine that with "shhhhhhhhhh! it's ok let me give you a big hug".

I actually haven't got many text mesages. I just ignore them as I'll probably never come across them again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some of my friends get this on live. They usually just hand the mic over to me and I sing christmas songs, talk shíte or talk about some mundane crap that happened to me today. I must have spent an hour one day talking to some guy about irregular bowel movements.

Another one, after I was beating them 5-0 and they quit at halftime.

Me: Best decision you made all night, save yourself a complete whitewash
    Them: Suck my d*** (on his profile he says he loves beating bumbandits)
    Me: You'd love that, wouldnt you cupcake?
    Them **** off you're a f****t I'm not an f****t you irish p***k
    Me: Where you from hon?
    Them: I said f*** off
    Me: Whats it feel like to be beaten 5-0 by a "bumbandit" as you call me? My boyfrind is sitting here and we are both laughing at you!
    Them (Voice message): You Irish ******* your is an alcoholk yah? your probably are drinking now mate. ** ****** ****** etc etc
    Me: I apologise for my earlier comments. I didn't realise you were 8 or slow in some way. Again, please accept my apologies! Have a great night ok? xxx hugs and kisses sweet thingxxx
    Them (via Voice): Imagine Eric Cartman going mental.

Another one after I winning 3-0 and they quit (they had a 99 99 99 team)
    Them: "I hope your family die n a car crsh"
    Me: It's always nice to meet someone with an advanced intellect. Wanna talk Shakespeare?
    Them: Your a preck. You u meke my players all slow. CHeating c*nt
    Me: I beg your pardon?
    Them: How did u meke them all go sloer
    Me: I apologise, I'm finding it hard to understand your sentence structure? Please, again?
    Them: How did you meke my players go slow
    Me: Ah,I see Well, you must purchase cards that reduce pace and acceleration of the opponents players. You may assign them prior to the match.
    Them: How do u use them in the game?
    Me: Ah its quite easy actually! Give me a minute and I'll explain in detail! It'll be worth the wait!
    Them: So how do u do it?
    Them: How do u make them slowor
    Them: Hello?
    Them: Hello mate
    Them: Hello mate, u promised to leel me.

3 hours later...
    Them: Are you still there mete?

In honour of all these players, I am now playing in an all pink strip and using the geneflect celebration against everyone...always starts some banter :) I also use cards that make the ref stricter. You have no idea how many peiople get upset when they see pink players dancing after scoring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    In honour of all these players, I am now playing in an all pink strip and using the geneflect celebration against everyone...always starts some banter :) I also use cards that make the ref stricter. You have no idea how many peiople get upset when they see pink players dancing after scoring.

I hate football games but might get one just to do this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

lol futureguy has it down. Its the same with fighting games, in fact over on SRK (extremely massive hardcore SF forum) theres dedicated threads all about 'what players message you after you beat them' with people posting pics, and youtube videos.

I remember reading it well before I got my PS3 thinking how funny it would be when I got my PS3 and SF4 to make a youtube video made up of retarded american kids having a period all over the mic to me after losing matchs but alas, PS3 does not let you send voice messages.

Plus i dunno if the rumors are true about 360 community being awful V PSN but to my disappointment 90% of the messages I get are GGs and requests to add to friends.

In all honestly though I was pleasantly surprised, its nice to get nice messages considering how much of an arse it is to type them on a console.

I only ever got one guy "raging" at me. I had unlocked sakuras 6th taunt (english). & I thought it sounded extremely funny when spammed (she giggles and then makes a popping noise with her nose:confused:)

So I went online and instantly spent every free second with her spamming the taunt over and over. The guy would approach and I'd knock him down and continue taunting. He wasnt the best so I was actually beating him and the guy eventually rage quit on me.

As funny as I found all this I felt a little bad so I sent him a message saying something like "sorry I only just unlocked that taunt and I just thought it was funny as hell" and the guy flipped out and sent me all sorts of typical mindless 15year old american insults. The usual crap. Long story short I winded him up further.

But I really wished I could send voice comments cause you know damn well I woulda of recorded sakuras taunt over and over and and sent him the recording muhahahahah

(4:05 in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dLO9Skm3wM )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Another one, after I was beating them 5-0 and they quit at halftime.

Me: Best decision you made all night, save yourself a complete whitewash
    Them: Suck my d*** (on his profile he says he loves beating bumbandits)
    Me: You'd love that, wouldnt you cupcake?
    Them **** off you're a f****t I'm not an f****t you irish p***k
    Me: Where you from hon?
    Them: I said f*** off

If that's how you started with him, no wonder he got angry. Nobody likes being patronised or trolled. He was an idiot but you were still trolling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Except in multiplayer games...if theyre on your own team and start teamkilling or abusing. I used to forget about the score/leaderboard in Battlefield2 and make it a point to ruin that persons game....I'd tk the **** out of him for annoyin me. Be a medic, Knife-revive-knife-revive-knife-revive etc :P
    I found strapping C4 to their chopper, and blowing it up when they're 5 seconds from the island pisses them off no end. In CoD4, we just kick them. As in, vote kick. And only play on servers where the admins actually want to have a good game, and aren't little f**king tossers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"Thanks for the complements?":cool:

• Advertisement

gaius c wrote: »
    If that's how you started with him, no wonder he got angry. Nobody likes being patronised or trolled. He was an idiot but you were still trolling him.

After I went 5-0 up after 25 minutes, he started playing keep ups with his goalkeeper and back 4 while performing other tricks. After he subsequently quit, he deserved it.

Thankfully EA give the winner the points they have earned for the UT shop regardless of the quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

never gotten it before in most FPS's, but I've gotten msgs quite a few times in SFIV. I just ignore them largely or send back a smiley face. It actually makes the win even sweeter when you picture some person on the other end ripping their hair out in anger.

Funnily enough, in over 900 ranked SF4 games, I have had no insulting messages and only 3 people disconnecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Funnily enough, in over 900 ranked SF4 games, I have had no insulting messages and only 3 people disconnecting!

Is it embarrassing if I think I know where you got your username from?

noodler wrote: »
    Is it embarrassing if I think I know where you got your username from?

A character from Enterprise. If you know that, you're a complete nerd. And I'm not ;)EDIT: And of course my XBox name is from DS9.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

All you need to say is "LOL K"
    No matter what they say.
    "UR A FAG!!11!!"
    "LOL K"
    "STFU U FUKKEN NAB!!"
    "LOL K"
    And so on...
    Drives noobs over critical mass quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A character from Enterprise. If you know that, you're a complete nerd. And I'm not ;)EDIT: And of course my XBox name is from DS9.

Nah, I thought it was from...ehhh......Scarface. Yeah that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

One of my favourites was after beating a guy from the uk, he messaged me "f**k off back to your own country ya P*ki"

I kept responding "but i am in my own country" to which i got the same message again and again.
    I responded thats its an online game and i am in my own country.
    in the end i called him an xenophobic little b1tch, got no reply. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Myself and a mate stuck on fight night round 3 the other week for a laugh, and played a few games online. Now, we hadnt played it in years, and even then i think we only had like 3 or 4 ranked games. We were both drunk and started a game against someone with over 1000 fights won, he knocked us out in the first round and then being the internet tough guy™ he was sent a message something akin to 'little bitch first round ko' or something. I was like eh yeah, wow youre awesome, you beat someone who has 4 fights to your 1000, what a winner :rolleyes:
    Never got any abusive messages in SF4, tho some guy quit on me the other day just as i was about to nail him with Sakura, and had already won 3 other rounds against him, i just sent him a message saying 'GOOD GAME!!11!' to rub it in

• Advertisement

Its amazing we all havent been banned from Live a hundred times over lol.

Advertisement