Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you treat abusive opponents online?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

or PSN ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

I only ever got one angry msg on psn when playing cod4, I killed this one guy about four or five times in quick sucession in different areas every time and he msg'd me calling me a camper n00b ,
    so I mailed back saying how cause I killed him in different spots around the map and informed him I was three prestige levels ahead of him so in comparrison so if I was a n00b what was he.
    He mailed back some sh** about mothers and that so I told him that if he kept practising he would be as good as me someday and he sent another msg filled with abuse and I was way too lazy to send back a long winded reply so i told him I loved him and that was that.
    I think he was just too embarresed to say it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

love when people whining,especially on the losing side they love to shout:noob!

then i will gladly reply:Yes,milord :D

i never flame or taunt people of any form in game or real life :P but they will have my defence if they are trying to be an a** to me(in game) ,example like,Are you [insert nationality]? because that would make so much sense :D strangely work on all kind of flamers,doesnt matter you guess the right nationality or not.

and of course the only proper way to fight back is totally own their a**.again.and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

gaius c wrote: »
    If that's how you started with him, no wonder he got angry. Nobody likes being patronised or trolled. He was an idiot but you were still trolling him.

The guy ragequit on him, he deserved to be trolled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I generally just ignore any trolling or abusive behaviour as much as possible, but then like most people I have my snapping point. I love the bad losers who dump all notions of common sense in favour of being idiots because - oh noes - they lost a match in a video game. Isn't life cruel?

- "luck"
    - "haha, damn newb"
    - "newb fag"
    - "lame spammer"
    etc. etc. Yeesh, just 'gg' and get on with life.

Hands down though, voice communication is the biggest curse of multiplayer gaming. Sure, you can go mute on any player, but I shouldn't have to. I recall some random match in TF2 a few weeks back. An english twit decided to lambast his entire team at regular intervals - with needless anger, language & nastiness - because we weren't performing to his expectations, defending right, attacking right and so on; you know the type. As the sole medic I bore the brunt of his ire as I wasn't healing him properly. The biggest mistake I made was trying to calmy reason with him. For my troubles I received directed abuse from this fella until I just had to apologise to my team & leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

The best is in gears of war 1 where you friendly fire, knock them down get out your smokes swing them and start praising allah! What a larf!

Then if you have four team mates get them to stand in the enemys spawn points so the CANT respawn! Great stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Then if you have four team mates get them to stand in the enemys spawn points so the CANT respawn! Great stuff

Well done, thats the kind of **** that ruins multiplayer games for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well done, thats the kind of **** that ruins multiplayer games for everyone.

We only did it like twice and its only for whiny abusive american kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Just say 'thanks' , makes them even angrier, they're just sore losers :)

Except in multiplayer games...if theyre on your own team and start teamkilling or abusing. I used to forget about the score/leaderboard in Battlefield2 and make it a point to ruin that persons game....I'd tk the **** out of him for annoyin me. Be a medic, Knife-revive-knife-revive-knife-revive etc :P

thats actually pro ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Some of my friends get this on live. They usually just hand the mic over to me and I sing christmas songs

I get out the harmonica for those cases :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I usually just try to report them in some way.

That or own them.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

MUTE! Ignorance is bliss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

cant stand playing on xbox live because of how retarded childish players are. 5 minutes is enough for me.

depends on wat game on pc. if its UT and someone accuses me of spamming or something its just like "you are complaining about spam in a game with a flak gun....."
    doesnt really happen in quake. none that ive had to deal with anyway.
    battlenet is the thunderdome though. ya gotta be thick skinned there. tbh, the flame wars there can be a lot of fun and u can really stick the knife in. most of the time its mostly the retards flaming anyway so ya can just go and own them. if someone skilled is rubbing it in the face of a n00b tho then i find the best response is a nice simple one line of "you're a tosser". only needs to be said once and pretty much sums up everything right there. you dont have to read the txt... there is a game going on behind that txt remember ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I play a lot of online poker and even though you're winning real money off people as opposed to beating them in a computer game, there is a lot of sportsmanship and chat is rarely abusive. Wonder why the difference...maybe the average age difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

a few weeks ago when i was playing call of duty world at war
    at straight after a match i got a message saying ''u f**ken suck'' and i tell ya he regreated say that.

every day for four days after he sent that i was sending him messages saying '' hello gay bo'' and other stuff like ''stupit f**ken american''
    Then he would send things back like ''im not your cousin men'' and ''go f**k your mother,i hate the bitch'' and he dosent even know my ma

all i can tell you is that most of the time the americans start it but dont finish it

and that how i handle abusive posts (i never start them);)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cianos wrote: »
    I play a lot of online poker and even though you're winning real money off people as opposed to beating them in a computer game, there is a lot of sportsmanship and chat is rarely abusive. Wonder why the difference...maybe the average age difference.
    I suspect it's also the inherent nature of the games being played. Poker is a relatively passive game of strategy & wit (even if the stakes are high); video games by their very nature demand heightened reactions & emotion, whereas Poker tends to favour no emotion being shown by the player ;) I suppose it's not much of a surprise that people spazz out.

mle1324 wrote: »
    a few weeks ago when i was playing call of duty world at war
    at straight after a match i got a message saying ''u f**ken suck'' and i tell ya he regreated say that.

every day for four days after he sent that i was sending him messages saying '' hello gay bo'' and other stuff like ''stupit f**ken american''
    Then he would send things back like ''im not your cousin men'' and ''go f**k your mother,i hate the bitch'' and he dosent even know my ma

all i can tell you is that most of the time the americans start it but dont finish it

and that how i handle abusive posts (i never start them);)
    Uhhh so for one off-hand comment you stalk, spam & basically bully the guy vindictively for 4 days running? That makes you worse to be honest.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Uhhh so for one off-hand comment you stalk, spam & basically bully the guy vindictively for 4 days running? That makes you worse to be honest.

in a way it dose and i know that but i didnt let him get the better of me if you know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I usually talk to mates in xbox live parties, Sometimes we hear abuse in the background after beating them, Then comes the invites to their private game for a rematch which is sometimes accepted to beat them again.

Tunnel Snakes Rule! Because were the tunnel snakes...:cool:

in a way it dose and i know that but i didnt let him get the better of me if you know what i mean
    Not really no; if that's you're idea of not letting it get to you, I would hate to see what you'd have done if really p*ssed :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Mute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Kiith wrote: »
    Most of the time, they get the /ignore. If they are really abusive for no reason, or i just dont like them, i'll report them.

Give serious abuse back, because I am good at it :) Normally that shuts them up while at the same time not getting any ban myself.

Wait until they break the rules and then report them, "enjoy your ban" I usually say :)

If they are complete morons, I will use them until I do not need them anymore, like the last 10% of a boss, kick them. That will learn them :)

Sometimes ignore and mute is a good but it depends on my mood really.

Some of the abuse is mediocre drivel, so it doesn't bother me, when they are persistant. That's when it gets annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

This thread reminds me why i don't play online.

is there even a way to report people on the playstation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Block & cover.

Incidentally, i had a guy send me Goatse once over PSN.

Which was annoying, as HE had beaten ME, and mics were off...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Block & cover.

Incidentally, i had a guy send me Goatse once over PSN.

Which was annoying, as HE had beaten ME, and mics were off...

what is a Goatse?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

PSN grief reporting page
    Link

if at first they wont shut up, then report their asses!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

what is a Goatse?
    Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

You don't want to know what Goatse is.

Think 2Girls 1Cup. With Guys. X2. And you get Goatse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

gerkeo wrote: »
    I've been playing online for a while now (fifa09 mainly) but recently I’ve been getting more and more abuse from opponents if i win or lose, last night was the final straw.
    I beat a guy 3-1, I was obviously the better player and got a message after the game "you're an f***n c**t, bum boy, etc"

What do you do? Ignore them or return it back as good as?
    Any funny experiences with bad losers?

Mute & report to relevant authority job done.

Advertisement