Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone get Nilesat?

• 14-04-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I see Nilesat coming up the odd time on this thread but has anyone actually managed to get it running with reasonable reliability on both Horizontal and Vertical polarization? If you did/do what setup do you use? Dish size etc? And where in Ireland are you?

M5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Have put it in a couple of times in Limerick but always used a 1.2metre dish, quite difficult to find....never got any complaints from people i did sucessfully put it in for.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Had a play around with a three metre dish a monster to say the least and still could not get all the football chanells on Nilesat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭20/20

Steveon if you are looking for a large dish there is one in adverts and it comes with sat-receiver with built-in positiohttp://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=104834&cat=500ner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

steveon wrote: »
    Have put it in a couple of times in Limerick but always used a 1.2metre dish, quite difficult to find....never got any complaints from people i did sucessfully put it in for.

You can get showtime on a 1.2m dish in Limerick? Horizontal and Vertical transponders?

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Had a play around with a three metre dish a monster to say the least and still could not get all the football chanells on Nilesat

And your based in Dublin right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

steveon wrote: »

You got Nilesat? On a 1.2m dish? In Limerick? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Badr on 25.5E I'd beleive. I'm sceptical of nilesat 7W in Limerick

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

M5 wrote: »
    And your based in Dublin right?

I am in Kildare mate. Now way Nilesat on a 1.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

i am in mayo, and i can pick it up with an ASC 1.8m dish and 0.2 lnb,,,not all channels though,,tried it with a channel master 1.2m and got nothing

i am in mayo, and i can pick it up with an ASC 1.8m dish and 0.2 lnb,,,not all channels though,,tried it with a channel master 1.2m and got nothing

Cool, the ones i'm interested in are the Showtime chans, eg comedy and shasha, as well as the ususal Showtime sports. Every game on on a Saturday afternoon is quite a carrot to buy a new dish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

well the dish has to sit on a 4.5inch outside diameter pole sunk in concrete and showing 1.5m above ground level, best place i have found to get such a pole is from Jack o'dohertys steel merchant in cork, do not buy a mild steel pole ask for carbon steel,

I will do a channel scan this weekend , my dish is set up as a demo with no permanent connection to a receiver,,I will connect it to a Technomate 5500CI and post the results asap

well the dish has to sit on a 4.5inch outside diameter pole sunk in concrete and showing 1.5m above ground level, best place i have found to get such a pole is from Jack o'dohertys steel merchant in cork, do not buy a mild steel pole ask for carbon steel,

I will do a channel scan this weekend , my dish is set up as a demo with no permanent connection to a receiver,,I will connect it to a Technomate 5500CI and post the results asap

eagerly awaiting this info, mouse resting on the purchase button until then :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im in mayo, nothing apart from zero signal on 7 west. Lots of bleed over from 8 west when you do a blind scan here. Also same on 4 west (Amos), Not a sniff here but bleed over from 5 west when blind scanned.

Ive a 1.1m & .1lnb. Get great signal from 26 east though for the MBC channels.

I would say any signal that can be got from 7 west would soon dissapear when it rains!!

I would personally forget about getting a setup for Nilesat, especially if you have to get a showtime sub as well.

Wait till the summer and invest in a proper sub to a stronger package. Prices will come down around July time.

I wont ever get a digitalb sub again as they have let me down this season. I got a canal+ finland package (Worked out around 23e a month from a friend in Finland) but im reducing my outgoings this year so i may well settle for a ART 13east sub for next season. Subs for Art can be got for as less then 80£ a year but no confirmation if any of sat 3pm games (Same as digitalb) and also commentry in French but im fine with that!

One package to keep an eye on is MAX tv broadcasting on 5east. Subs around 300£ a year & they have sat 3pm kick offs.

Cryfa+ is cheap & cheerful but you cannot rely on what they are going to show.

snaps wrote: »
    Im in mayo, nothing apart from zero signal on 7 west. Lots of bleed over from 8 west when you do a blind scan here. Also same on 4 west (Amos), Not a sniff here but bleed over from 5 west when blind scanned.

Ive a 1.1m & .1lnb. Get great signal from 26 east though for the MBC channels.

I would say any signal that can be got from 7 west would soon dissapear when it rains!!

I would personally forget about getting a setup for Nilesat, especially if you have to get a showtime sub as well.

Wait till the summer and invest in a proper sub to a stronger package. Prices will come down around July time.

I wont ever get a digitalb sub again as they have let me down this season. I got a canal+ finland package (Worked out around 23e a month from a friend in Finland) but im reducing my outgoings this year so i may well settle for a ART 13east sub for next season. Subs for Art can be got for as less then 80£ a year but no confirmation if any of sat 3pm games (Same as digitalb) and also commentry in French but im fine with that!

One package to keep an eye on is MAX tv broadcasting on 5east. Subs around 300£ a year & they have sat 3pm kick offs.

Cryfa+ is cheap & cheerful but you cannot rely on what they are going to show.

TBH Showtime attracts me because of the range of games on a Saturday afternoon, no one else comes close. C+ Scandanavia is another option but they only have 3 games usually and supporting a team outside the top 4 makes it more difficult to see the games. If it takes a 2/3M dish so be it. It can most definitely be picked up, just depends on the size of the dish. (obv not getting a 10M dish or anything silly like that!

Currently on digitalb myself, again on the promise of 3pm sat games which never materialised... Whatever chance on 7W, 4W forget it, its a narrow beam over Saudi AFIK

Canal+ has a lot more than 3 games or do you mean 3pm saturday kick offs?

Its a shame that you cant buy a season ticket for you own team, i think they do that in italy and spain on the relevant platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Canal + is my favorite package on Sat - HD, superb audio & picture & a s*it load of EPL to make your mouth water.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think Showtime is the only outfit that broadcast all 380 PL games live.

I also found Digitalb a disaster this year, wrt 3pm games. I doubt if I'll be renewing.

ART may be an option, but for the French-only comms.

Sky Italia is too expensive. I must look into Max TV.

byte wrote: »
    I think Showtime is the only outfit that broadcast all 380 PL games live.

I also found Digitalb a disaster this year, wrt 3pm games. I doubt if I'll be renewing.

ART may be an option, but for the French-only comms.

Sky Italia is too expensive. I must look into Max TV.

I may settle for a recession busting art package, I can put up with loosing 3pm games on a saturday and just watch the red button football focus for all the results etc.

I get around the commentry with running my five live/five live extra/bbc radio london feeds from astra 2 through a laptop running radio delay and then playing the laptop through an amp. Works perfect, plus you get any other score updates from the radio commentators, not just the match your watching. (You need to make sure the microphone level in the audio control panal of windows xp is turned down otherwise the sound is terribly distorted)

I found on some of the non English canal+ scandanavia matches this season the delay was as follows: SD matches 4.2seconds, HD matches 7.1seconds.

Max TV is available via ebay from a well known seller who i have brought cards off before.

My canal+ sub will soon be up and prics have increased now with a charge of 100e a year just for the smartcard.

Crfya+ is very cheap but doing research they sometimes may only show 1 match on one staurday & then 3 on another, so to unreliable

Canal+ has a lot more than 3 games or do you mean 3pm saturday kick offs?

Its a shame that you cant buy a season ticket for you own team, i think they do that in italy and spain on the relevant platforms.

yup, i mean the Saturday game...

well normally canal+ shows the early match, 3*3pm and late match which is 5 on a saturday. On a sunday they always show the early match a 3pm kick off and then the 4pm match, which is 3 matches.

Not bad compared to sky & setanta?

I really dont know why Setanta Ireland couldnt show more matches than they do as they are allready allowed to show 1 sat 3pm game? Surely they can bid for the international rights like other euro stations do?

• Advertisement

well normally canal+ shows the early match, 3*3pm and late match which is 5 on a saturday. On a sunday they always show the early match a 3pm kick off and then the 4pm match, which is 3 matches.

Not bad compared to sky & setanta?

I really dont know why Setanta Ireland couldnt show more matches than they do as they are allready allowed to show 1 sat 3pm game? Surely they can bid for the international rights like other euro stations do?

Absolutely, its a great package compared with sky/setanta. But if its possible to get all the Sat 3pm games id prefer that.

Ideal situation is of course an interactive choice of all the games.I cant understand why this is not available in Ireland on Sky/Setanta. It is in some way understandable in the UK but if we can see one 3pm KO why not all?

ive been reading on here that RTE gets tv rights fairly cheap as the population of Ireland is very small, I wonder if this is the same when TV rights for premier league football is decided?

ive been reading on here that RTE gets tv rights fairly cheap as the population of Ireland is very small, I wonder if this is the same when TV rights for premier league football is decided?

May be true, although there may be some other reason for no European provider carrying all 3pm games..... hardly a coincidence? you would imagine that there would be a big demand for a service like that in a few places, Norway for example, they love the pl over there....

Did you get time to hook this up since?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fergiesarmy

not a chance in Ireland without a massive dish methinks

not a chance in Ireland without a massive dish methinks

What size is the question really.... would consider a 2.5-3m if it was reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fergiesarmy

Thats probably enough. I have yet to see someone that has all the channels on nilesat in Ireland. Would love it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Has anyone noticed that lots of channels have either moved or the European beam is no more for the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

The new atlantic bird 4a satellite footprint is much more focused over the middle east,you may need over 3metre now in Ireland.

I get nothing off it and i only get a couple of verticials on nilesat 101 including city 7 tv on a triax 1.1m in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I doubt anything on Atlantic Bird 4a here in Ireland.
    http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/ab4a.html

Advertisement