Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal (1) vs. (1) Villareal, CL QF 2nd. Leg

• 14-04-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

arsenal%20badge.jpgVS. villareal1.gif

Injuries:

Arsenal: Almunia, Gallas, Djourou, Clichy.

Villareal: Cazorla, Senna, Cani, Fernandes.

Arsenal defence taking a bit of a battering at the moment. Also could well be without Eduardo, although we have Diaby back.

Line I'd like to see:

Fabianski

Sagna
    Toure
    Silvestre
    Gibbs

Walcott
    Denilson
    Fab
    Song
    Nasri

Ade

Fabianksi, Silvestre and Gibbs are serious weak points. Gibbs in particular had a mare against Wigan the other day. And the thought of Silvestre try to chase down Rossi worries me.

Song is interchangeable with Diaby, or even drop the fifth midfielder to put RVP up top alongside Ade, all depends what tactic Wenger decides to play.

I'm hoping we don't see Fab in that role behind the striker. Yes he's got a good return of assists from there but I really think he plays better as an out and out CM.

2-1 for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm a wee bit worried about this one. The fact that they have a pretty poor away record and seem to be off form should be enough for us. Having nightmares about Bobby scoring a winner for them though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Really enjoyed the game last week...........some great attacking football by both teams.
    Really hope we (arsenal) do it............re the team above.........if he does bring in RVP i hope he drops Denilson........song is good at breaking up play while also letting fab get space.

Im very surprise with the bookies for this game.......arsenal 8/15 villareal 6/1 :eek: really thought it would be a lot closer than that........even without senna playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Villareal will score, The Arse will score more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Boggles wrote: »
    Villareal will score
    The only reason they mightn't is because their injuries are mainly attacking ones... plus if Arsenal can keep enough of the ball further up the field we might get away with a clean sheet. And that'll be a lot easier without Senna around.

But I'll still be bloody nervous if it's 1-0 to Arsenal or 0-0 with 5 or 10 minutes left...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Boggles wrote: »
    Villareal will score

+1

I'm thinking 2-1, maybe we'll nick a thirds if they really go for it in the last few minutes and we catch them on the break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Here's the stat that all the Arsenal fans want to hear.

Villareal have only won one away game in the Champions League. A 0-1 against Benfica 4 years ago.

Admittedly, they've only played 9 or 10 away games in the competition but they have visited Rangers, Celtic and Allborg.

It's their excellent home record that usually gets them through groups and knockout ties.

I don't expect it to be easy but away from home and without Senna, I feel that Arsenal will just have that bit too much for them.

Hard to predict a score but I'm going for 2-0 with the last being an 87th minute counterattack when Villareal are committing men forward.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Did they not just win away in Greece in the last round?

My preferred team would be Fabianski, Sagna, Silvestre, Toure, Eboue, Song, Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie, Walcott, Adebayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ade will get us off to an early start, I am certain of that. 1-0 up after 10 mins or so then we'll be well on our way. Villareal will have to come out and chase the game and Walcott will have a lot of space at the Emirates to conjure up plenty of further opportunities for the boys. I am going against the lads here by saying it will be one sided rather than the cagey affair people are predicting. 3-0 to Arsenal (possibly more). Let's hope I'm right.

Did they not just win away in Greece in the last round?

My preferred team would be Fabianski, Sagna, Silvestre, Toure, Eboue, Song, Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie, Walcott, Adebayor.

There you go ruining my nice stat.

That was actually an away win after a 1-1 draw at El Madrigal - fancy that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

I'm thinking Arsenal are really gonna go for this, just because they have to really because with their injuries at the back they'll need the cushion of a couple of goals. They can't just soak up the pressure with the back four they'll have to play. So my prediction is 2-1 to arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm also thinking 2-1 to Arsenal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

2-0 to Arsenal.

I wouldnt be surprised if Song plays CB and Silvestre is moved to LB.
    I dont think Gibbs will start at all.

jank wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if Song plays CB and Silvestre is moved to LB.

I'd been thinking about that being a possibility earlier aswell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I'd have fancied Villareal but didn't realise Senna was injured. Huge loss for them.

3-1 l'Arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I wouldn't be too worried if Almunia, Clichy and Gallas were fit. However they're not so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Arsenal go out tomorrow.

Sometimes they just don't click up front, and with a unexperienced defense there's always the possibility of conceding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

I'm predicting either 2-1 to the Arse, or a 1-1 with anything happening, I'd be veering towards Villareal in ET, but if it goes through to Penos I think the Gunners with end up winning somehow...

With our defense as thin as it is I'd rather see 4-5-1 with Diaby in with Fabregas and one of Denilson/Song.

Ade up top and Walcott/Nasri on the wings.

If needs be, bring on RVP and change to 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I was thinking last night about which match I should watch tonight and I think I'm gonna pick the United match over this one.

I just don't think it will be all that entertaining. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal just tried to play for a 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I wouldn't be too worried if Almunia, Clichy and Gallas were fit. However they're not so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Arsenal go out tomorrow.

Sometimes they just don't click up front, and with a unexperienced defense there's always the possibility of conceding.

I think Fabianski is gonna be the key - Villareal are going to pepper the net at every opportunity - if he holds up, we're through, otherwise it could be 3+ goals against.

From Wenger's comments on the website looks like it's going to be

Sagna
    Toure
    Silvestre
    Gibbs

at the back

Let's just hope they attack down our right a lot....

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I was thinking last night about which match I should watch tonight and I think I'm gonna pick the United match over this one.

I just don't think it will be all that entertaining. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal just tried to play for a 0-0 draw.

With a fully fit attack and a seriously weakened defence, it would make about as much sense for Arsenal to go for a nil-all draw as it would for United to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Gibbs had one nightmare of a game away to a decent enough Wigan team when they play at the JJB, i think a few of us are forgetting his potential and his confidence has taken a hit from that game but hopefully Wenger who sees him train everyday will be able give him a boost by starting to night and im hoping he has a solid game.

I'd be surprised to see him as bad again tbh. I know its not ideal having to play him in such an important match but for me I think Fabianski and Silvestres lack of pace will be a big worry.

Result: 2-1 arsenal to progress!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

gosplan wrote: »
    With a fully fit attack and a seriously weakened defence, it would make about as much sense for Arsenal to go for a nil-all draw as it would for United to do so.

+1

In one of the interviews yesterday on sky Wenger said something along the lines of

" they need to score and we always want to score which should make for an exciting open game "

Hopefully not to open but I think we all know we wont be playing for a nil-all!!!

Lads anyone know what channels this is on aside from Sky Sports 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Setanta Ireland have it on aswell Frisbee. Why the fcuk don't RTE ever show our games live? Really pi$$es me off sometimes. I thought IT4 might have it on but alas no.

DenMan wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland have it on aswell Frisbee. Why the fcuk don't RTE ever show our games live? Really pi$$es me off sometimes. I thought IT4 might have it on but alas no.

*sigh*
    Another night of Dolan, Burley and Macari.
    Better than nothing though I suppose.

R.I.P. Dodgy Box - You have no idea how much I miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

gosplan wrote: »

This is why I hope Wenger goes with RVP and Ade up front. This will let Fab play deeper like most of second half against Wigan. Arsenal will find scoring easier playing that way.
    Not sure who to drop though Denilson or Song ??? tough one at the moment as both are play pretty decent

Setanta Ireland have it on aswell Frisbee. Why the fcuk don't RTE ever show our games live?

As regards our excellent national broadcaster, we're tied for fourth/fifth with Chelsea behind Utd/Liverpool/Celtic.

Someone once told me that if United and Liverpool were scheduled at the same time it would create a temporal anomaly in RTE's sports scheduling that would cause the whole station to implode on itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Frisbee wrote: »
    From Wenger's comments on the website looks like it's going to be

Sagna
    Toure
    Silvestre
    Gibbs
    Looks like it alright - he's not really one for the pre-match bluff. And I'd rather this than Song at CB with no practice or Eboue at LB (Pepe, were you serious?)

As for what team he names further up, if it's a 4-5-1, I like gosplan's idea of Fabregas-Denilson-Diaby in a 4-5-1 because I think it'd get more out of Fabregas than the Song-Denilson-Fabregas combo. But I'd still rather a 4-4-2 as I think it'll get more out of Fabregas again. He generally plays better (even if the assist count isn't necessarily as high) like that so it's a question of how much Wenger trusts Walcott and Nasri to cover back really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why the fcuk don't RTE ever show our games live? Really pi$$es me off sometimes.

Their order of priority is:
    1. Man U
    2. 'Pool
    3. Cetlic
    4. Arse
    5. Chelski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If Arsenal win, I'm sure they'll show your next match. ;)

I'm torn, but I think I may watch the Arsenal game today.

I'm still thinking it may be an Arsenal-Barca final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Team just in from Uefa:

Fabianski
    Fab
    Toure
    Nasri
    RVP
    Walcott
    Song
    Silvestre
    Ade
    Eboue
    Gibbs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Very worried with that defence, missing four of our first choice backline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

redout wrote: »
    Team just in from Uefa:

Fabianski
    Fab
    Toure
    Nasri
    RVP
    Walcott
    Song
    Silvestre
    Ade
    Eboue
    Gibbs

No Sagna? Is he suspended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Eh where is Sagna?

• Advertisement

Where the fcuk is Sagna?!

Where the fcuk is Sagna?!

Flu

1852: Some confusion about the Arsenal team, and the whereabouts of Bacary Sagna. Looks like Emmanuel Eboue will fill in at the back in very much a makeshift Gunners defence.

I can't believe this...

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Flu

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

And no defenders on the bench either....

This should be fun!:D

• Advertisement

Source?

text from Arsene :p

OPENROAD wrote: »
    text from Arsene :p

Only asking because I'm hearing flu and injury.

Denilson dropped aswell

Only asking because I'm hearing flu and injury.

read flu on another board, just turned on setanta now,hopefully they will say for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Well look at it this way. At least their problems are in attack so it balances out a little bit. Plus you certainly can't fault Arsenal's attacking line up, with the likes of Eduardo on the bench too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

72462451.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Starting to get nervous now. Eboue and Silvestre starting doesn't really fill me with confidence, add in the fact Pires starts for them.

Ah crap.

C'mon The Arsenal.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Starting to get nervous now. Eboue and Silvestre starting doesn't really fill me with confidence, add in the fact Pires starts for them.

Ah crap.

C'mon The Arsenal.

I'm not too worried about Eboue at RB, he's a good RB.
    However he's not as good as Sagna, so it's just a bad time to lose Sagna with Silvestre and Gibbs playing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

OMFG. What are the bets Kolo gets an injury tonight?

Still, if we get get to a CL final with a back four of Flamini-Senderos-Toure-Eboue, we can win this game.

But I really don't fancy our chances against Chelsea with that kind of defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

He's a good right back in a settled defence. Tonight we're starting with Toure as our only recognised first team defender. With Pires playing I hope they don't exploit our players lack of playing time together.

My God Pat Dolan talks some serious crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement