Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Site Down-WTF??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Which is my fault how exactly?! I was not GIVEN an email address by anybody,

Your email address is on your student card. Why would anyone GIVE it to you ? Surely your old enough to get it yourself.

No individual lecturer told us, course co ordinator instructed us to provide email addresses that would be used to notify us of any important accouncements which would be posted on the WEBEX,

ok so change this
    orla wrote:
    *If* you were instructed to use your personal email by your lecturer then your lecturer should have emailed you letting you know of the downtime.
    to
    orla wrote:
    *If* you were instructed to use your personal email by your course coordinator then your course coordinator should have emailed you letting you know of the downtime.

They obviously use their staff email so would have been informed of the maintenance so blame them.

I've never used WEBEX so I wouldn't look there if there anything was down. I'd read my emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

john47832 wrote: »
    Ok heres the deal - full time job / part time student, free time to do assignments happens to come along every now and then and has to be taken once it appears, today it appeared and I'm not happy that my assignment was affected by the website being down... having said that I understand the tutors are not running guantanamo and I could possibly request my assignment be returned but the bottom line is this has affected my work

I can understand givyjoe81 being affected as he has an alternative arrangment with his course director regarding contact (albeit a rather strange arrangement, his course director is wrong for doing this and should be using the system in place to avoid confusion like this) but in your case, if you don't check mydit or webcourses often, you have no one to blame but yourself for missing a few hours access today.
    john47832 wrote: »
    So it should really have been done last year for this semester, how difficult is it to maintain a sufficiently acceptable network????

Yes perhaps it should have. Was it? No! So better late than never. It's progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

orla wrote: »
    Your email address is on your student card. Why would anyone GIVE it to you ? Surely your old enough to get it yourself.

Jaysus do you know i didnt even notice that til now. Little things are easily missed. Doesnt change instructions as previously outlined. I see you havent yet mastered how to read through texts thoroughly before making judgments?! Dont worry that comes with age ;).

To the other chap, apologies dont recall your profile name! I understand wi-fi is **** but i can assure you its equally **** in Aungier street. It doesnt mention anywhere that the work is being done to improve it. Even

Jaysus do you know i didnt even notice that til now. Little things are easily missed. Doesnt change instructions as previously outlined. I see you havent yet mastered how to read through texts thoroughly before making judgments?! Dont worry that comes with age ;)

And I see don't care for other peoples judgments when they aren't similar to your own.

Don't worry that kind of attitude goes with age :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

orla wrote: »
    And I see don't care for other peoples judgments when they aren't similar to your own.

Don't worry that kind of attitude goes with age :)

No i wouldnt say that, Id say blindly jumping on a bandwagon without actually reading things is a rather worrying trait, irrelvant of age.

I dont care for judgments that blindly ignore opposing points of view, which had been until the case until GAZZA acknowledged what iv been saying all along. Think thats rather understandable.

You dont use webex, well we do and it is the EXCLUSIVE means for our lecturer's to communicate with us, again this is exactly my point which you and creamy seem to be missing again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Jaysus do you know i didnt even notice that til now. Little things are easily missed. Doesnt change instructions as previously outlined. I see you havent yet mastered how to read through texts thoroughly before making judgments?! Dont worry that comes with age ;).

To the other chap, apologies dont recall your profile name! I understand wi-fi is **** but i can assure you its equally **** in Aungier street. It doesnt mention anywhere that the work is being done to improve it. Even

Welcome to DIT ;) Progress is rather slow in DIT so when it finally comes about, i tend to look on the positive side. Sure this should all have been done long ago but at least it's being done now and we will hopefully benefit from it for the next few weeks.

Oh and now that you know your email, just FYI your password is your date of birth and you can change it after your first log in. https://mydit.dit.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Im guessing if they brough the whole server down then it was not just for wifi. If they were just fixing that tehhy probably wouldnt have neeeded down time. They may have been changing servers over or something. I know some software the college recently wouldnt work with the old servers and it took us 3 months to get the new versions installed on our computers while they waited to get a new part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Gazza22 wrote: »
    I can understand givyjoe81 being affected as he has an alternative arrangment with his course director regarding contact (albeit a rather strange arrangement, his course director is wrong for doing this and should be using the system in place to avoid confusion like this) but in your case, if you don't check mydit or webcourses often, you have no one to blame but yourself for missing a few hours access today.

Yes I now realise - I'm to blame for believing that interruptions could not be set aside until non peak time, or even a day over the 3 day weekend

bottom line is its not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

In the view of the college this was non peak time. It was not done during review week it was done during a college "holiday" so I would stop blaming them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

If this was the first of the year than maybe, but its not and blame lies at the feet of whoever is responsible for the upkeep

Advertisement