Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wired vs wireless alarm system

Options
  • 14-04-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on installing an house alarm. Had decided to go down the wireless route with the Visonic Powermax system...was recommended by a family member. though was talking to someone today who used to work for Nightguard and they recommended using a wired system...doing the wiring ourselves

Can anyone advise me on which would be the best option, most cost effective to run and maintain and also easiest and cheapest to install!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

most cost effective to run and maintain and also easiest and cheapest to install
    In general a wired system. If you are going to wire it yourself the wiring will cost nothing and this can be expensive.

Wireless sensors:
    1) They have clomplex electronics = more to go wrong and cost more

2) They each require their own battery = more batteries to replace & more bulky. Some of these batteries can be expensive.

3) Signals from sensors on ocassion "get lost" which can cause problems.

Wired sensors:
    1) Cheaper to replace if required.

2) A cable is required to supply each sensor, this can cause damage to your house!

If installed correctly they can both provide good security. Given the choice I would go for a wired system, but I have not seen your house so I can not say for 100%

Wireless systems have obvious advantages (quick to install, less mess), but given the choice companies like "Eircom PhoneWatch" will not use a wireless system if the cables are in place. This speaks volumes. Although I am not a fan of Eircom's wireless systems they are a company that makes sound financial decisions based on experience. When they install a wired system they generally opt for HKC, which is a very good system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Both wired & wirless sensors conform to EN50131 so both are as reliable as the other.
    The main reason to use wireless is the tidyness of the job .
    Wireless devices are more expensive but it can work out cheaper than a complex wired installation. Generally depending on the layout a combination of wired & wireless can achive the best system at the best price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If I could run wires I would. The visonic is a good reliable system, I've installed a few of them and haven't had any issues with them.
    I'm surprised by the nightguard comments as they used Aritech and their wireless kit is pretty good

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you wait a while this system
    is going to be the first grade 3 fully wireless system.
    I seen it at ISEC & its top notch .

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

Do you not have to change the batteries in a wireless system? I would def go for a wired system. Much more secure for starters!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

oldhead wrote: »
    Much more secure for starters!!!!!!!

How do you figure that???:confused:

koolkid wrote: »
    How do you figure that???:confused:
    Wireless has a set frequency which can be over come, at the end of the day you canot beat a hard wired system. its like a speaker system, the wired speaker always has a better sound tha the wireless speaker, plus you have to change batteries in the wireless. wired all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

wire free is the best one to use. no wires run around your house makes it a neater job at the end of the day, plus it works out cheaper in the long run when you think about how your going to protect cables ran to all your devices.

its like a speaker system, the wired speaker always has a better sound tha the wireless speaker.

you can get a wired speaker and wire it into the panel if thats all your worried about

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

wire free is the best one to use. no wires run around your house makes it a neater job at the end of the day, plus it works out cheaper in the long run when you think about how your going to protect cables ran to all your devices.
    Except that many houses are now sold pre wired. Most alarm companies will not use wireless systems if cables are already in place.

I agree that wireless system can get you out of many difficult situations and can provide a high level of security. If they were the answer to all situations then wired alarms would have no market.

If a building is properly wired for an alarm the finished job will often be neater and more discreet as the sensors are generally smaller. Wiring is generally a simple and quick task if it is done as the building is constructed.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Except that many houses are now sold pre wired. Most alarm companies will not use wireless systems if cables are already in place.

I agree that wireless system can get you out of many difficult situations and can provide a high level of security. If they were the answer to all situations then wired alarms would have no market.

If a building is properly wired for an alarm the finished job will often be neater and more discreet as the sensors are generally smaller. Wiring is generally a simple and quick task if it is done as the building is constructed.

yes they are and i would never put a wire free system in a house if it is prewired unless they have cable troubles.. thats the only drawback with wired systems. if a cable gets damaged it has to be replaced, cant replace it when the house is being constructed as you only find out about it when you go to put in the alarm :-)
    at lease with the wire free its only a mater of replacing a battery or a sensor.
    the cs250 is a good wired system to use as it can be fitted with a receiver if any problem does arise with the cables. that way you can have some wired and some wire free, good to for sticking wire free motion detectors or panic buttons in houses as most builders only cable for the perimeter which means windows and doors only..

Wireless has a set frequency which can be over come, at the end of the day you canot beat a hard wired system. its like a speaker system, the wired speaker always has a better sound tha the wireless speaker, plus you have to change batteries in the wireless. wired all the way.

Since wireless systems came out I have not come across 1 case of a wireless system being overcome in that manner. I think your watching too many James Bond films.
    Wired & wireless systems both conform to the same standard so one can not be more reliable than the other.
    An alarm is nothing like a speaker system. It is transmitting data not high quality audio.
    Batteries in these systems last five years or more. I have seen wired sensors replaced in a shorter time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Since wireless systems came out I have not come across 1 case of a wireless system being overcome in that manner
    +1

It is not as if the frequency used by the alarm is always the same. The transmitter and the recievers communicate through multiple frequencies that change at random. This is much like the rolling code system that is used by chiped keys with modern cars.

The signal comming back from a sensor is an "intelligent signal", not a simple on/off signal, making it almost impossible to reproduce. If somehow you blocked mulitple signals being sent by a sensor this would cause the panel to go into alarm rather than assume that all was well.

Since wireless systems came out I have not come across 1 case of a wireless system being overcome in that manner. I think your watching too many James Bond films.
    Wired & wireless systems both conform to the same standard so one can not be more reliable than the other.
    An alarm is nothing like a speaker system. It is transmitting data not high quality audio.
    Batteries in these systems last five years or more. I have seen wired sensors replaced in a shorter time.
    watching to many james bond films, yea whatever, i would have wired over wireless anyday, even though there is a new wireless system coming out in the next month or so, that uses a higher frequecy, which looks to be very good. also on the batteries, ive seen them replaced well before 5 years.

altor wrote: »
    you can get a wired speaker and wire it into the panel if thats all your worried about
    i think that you have lost my point here, why would i want to wire a speaker into the panel?

why would you compare a wireless speaker to a wireless alarm???

If the job is done correctly and neatly then damaged cables should not be an issue.

why would you compare a wireless speaker to a wireless alarm???
    i was just trying to make a point that the wireless system signal can get lost, and this in turn can cause problems, as already stated at the begining of this thread. chill out there koolkid!!!!!!

watching to many james bond films, yea whatever, i would have wired over wireless anyday, even though there is a new wireless system coming out in the next month or so, that uses a higher frequecy, which looks to be very good. also on the batteries, ive seen them replaced well before 5 years.
    A higher frequency??
    I dont think you have a clue what you are talking about?
    Wireless systems are secure full stop.
    Once again I have never heard of these systems being bypassed in the way you describe.
    I have never had to replace a battery less than 5 years old. (you are obviousally referring to some inferior equipment? or equipment that has not been installed correctly.
    All the certification bodies class wireless the same as wired. This is accepted by the insurance industry as well as the Guards. But perhaps you are better qualified than all of them .:p

i think that you have lost my point here, why would i want to wire a speaker into the panel?

you said it gives you a better sound.. just giving you an option..

• Advertisement

If the job is done correctly and neatly then damaged cables should not be an issue.

i was only pointing out the problems you can come across with cables.. how would you run the cables ?

So a wireless siren would not sound as good as a wired one??? :rolleyes:

A higher frequency??
    I dont think you have a clue what you are talking about?
    Wireless systems are secure full stop.
    Once again I have never heard of these systems being bypassed in the way you describe.
    I have never had to replace a battery less than 5 years old. (you are obviousally referring to some inferior equipment? or equipment that has not been installed correctly.
    All the certification bodies class wireless the same as wired. This is accepted by the insurance industry as well as the Guards. But perhaps you are better qualified than all of them .:p
    Oh sory there KOOLKID, i didnt realise that i needed your permission to have an opinion of my own. I will just leave it to you the expert. you obs have it all worked out.

i was just trying to make a point that the wireless system signal can get lost, and this in turn can cause problems, as already stated at the begining of this thread. chill out there koolkid!!!!!!

if installed properly you should have no problems.. wired systems are prone to faults as much as wirefree..

Oh sory there KOOLKID, i didnt realise that i needed your permission to have an opinion of my own. I will just leave it to you the expert. you obs have it all worked out.
    Opinion is fine, but listen to the experts when they are trying to explain something to you. You clearly dont want professional advice.

i was only pointing out the problems you can come across with cables.. how would you run the cables ?
    without plans of the house it is hard to discuss, alot of different factors, is it a dormer, has it hollowcore or timber joists, is it a bungalow, do they have coving or not, or whether they are puting it in. are the walls solid block or timerframe.etc. sory i cant be more help on this without knowing the house.

Opinion is fine, but listen to the experts when they are trying to explain something to you. You clearly dont want professional advice.
    So you are calling yourself an expert now, well i supose everyone is entilted to their opinion. look after yourself and dont be afraid to read other peoples opinions, without getting excited.

without plans of the house it is hard to discuss, alot of different factors.
    I discuss all sorts jobs with all sorts of customs on a daily basis. I dont rely on plans for those jobs.

I discuss all sorts jobs with all sorts of customs on a daily basis. I dont rely on plans for those jobs.
    Well i should hope not, you are the expert after all

• Advertisement

whats this post all about then ? did you loose the plans..

Advertisement