Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luton Town - Gone from Football League

• 14-04-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Luton Town were relegated from the football league yesterday.

As someone who grew up watching football in the 80s I find this sad, Luton were a top flight team from '82 to '92.

Even a few years back they were close enough to getting a Championship playoff spot but they ended up 10th and a series of financial disasters since has seen them relegated and being stuck with points deductions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No sympathy here. Feckin David Pleat in that God awful suit :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If they were not deducted the 30 points they would be comfortably mid table. 30m points was far to big a deduction to overcome especially as they ghad to offload so many players as well.

They will make a good run at bouncing back straight away. They seem to have their house in order off the pitch as well these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The regret of the their 1991/92 relegation from old Div 1 is surely amplified now. So close to the PL honeypot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The 30 point deduction was just stupid. They would surely have been better off to be relegated to the conference and at least have a chance of attracting/keeping players for a push at promotion as opposed to what was a season long certainty of relegation.

At least they got a big day out at Wembley a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The regret of the their 1991/92 relegation from old Div 1 is surely amplified now. So close to the PL honeypot...

Not sure if that would have been the case, a lot of teams have enjoyed the PL honeypot and are the worse for it, Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, Chartlon, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

gimmick wrote: »
    30m points was far to big a deduction to overcome

I can see how overcoming a 30,000,000 point deduction would be an uphill challenge alright :D

Seriously though, it's a shame that they are gone. Point deductions for financial reasons is an absolute joke. It makes a mockery of the idea that a team should be judged by their performances on the pitch. Records will show that they were relegated, when by right, they shouldn't have.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Good. I never liked them and their plastic pitch, small away-fan-less stadium, and for constantly beating Liverpool on that stupid pitch. I also have a cousin I disliked as a kid from Luton. Surely still enough of a reason to be glad to see them go down.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Not sure if that would have been the case, a lot of teams have enjoyed the PL honeypot and are the worse for it, Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, Chartlon, etc.

I bet they would have liked to find out for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The whole points deduction is a joke imho leeds would be in the championship this season if it hadn't been for there's last year. I really disagree it's bad enough to have your club have to sell all it's best players to get by i would be of the opinion that that would be enough of a punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I am sure they will be bounce back, from the look of things they have a very good youth policy at the club. My mate from uni is from Luton (Farleyfarm Rd) and he's depressed now (he's a Man Utd fan btw).

Walked past the stadium a few years ago, nice ground. They'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

So people just want clubs to be able to do what they want and get away with it then? Its a pity for the fans but both Luton and Leeds have gotten what they deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

Delighted isn't the word.

Hate that lot.

You Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnssssssssssssssssssss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

ID cards, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Xavi6 wrote: »

what a tragic day that was - I was raging when Antic scored.

relive it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAUkaC6nsI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

DenMan wrote: »
    My mate from uni is from Luton (Farleyfarm Rd) and he's depressed now (he's a Man Utd fan btw)

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

SectionF wrote: »
    Eh?

It's in Luton. All he talks about is the doom and gloom that's around the place. Incidentially Luton was voted the 'crappiest town in the UK' a few years ago. Hence the depression. Just thought I'd mention it.

I'm sure hes referring to the idiocy of someone from Luton being a Man Utd fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DSB wrote: »
    I'm sure hes referring to the idiocy of someone from Luton being a Man Utd fan.

:rolleyes:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Why the face? I've heard a million times that the LOI isn't of a high enough standard to watch, but surely Luton didn't fall into that category 10+ years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

5starpool wrote: »
    Good. I never liked them and their plastic pitch, small away-fan-less stadium, and for constantly beating Liverpool on that stupid pitch. I also have a cousin I disliked as a kid from Luton. Surely still enough of a reason to be glad to see them go down.

:)
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    what a tragic day that was - I was raging when Antic scored.

relive it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAUkaC6nsI

I think that's why I liked them, I never supported a 'big club' and it was always good to see an upset or two during the season, and it usually came from Luton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote: »

Huh - you hate a club because of that? bit harshy marshy

Advertisement