Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saltees

• 14-04-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in organising a trip out to the Saltees around late May/June?? I'm sure a few will be interested and somebody will have a contact number to book it. No harm in booking early to avoid the holiday season.

Interested so far:

Kensutz
    PaulW
    Tallon +1
    mdebets
    Bovril?
    Cabansail?
    sNarah?
    Panhour
    Hearvee
    Cabaal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A great spot. I hope/plan to go back again this year, and spend more time looking for the puffins.

Certainly interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What kind of price would you be talkin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I went in Spring 07 & it was about €25 return on the boat with a group discount. Can't see it having gone up much since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I think like Cabansail said €25. Numbers will be limited as it's not a massive boat that will take us out to the island. I'll suggest a date later and we'll see how many are interested, I reckon 12 or so would be the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

The guy who I sailed with last time is Declan Bates. PM me for his number. He runs a number of boats each day but it's all dependant on numbers. June BH is by far the most popular.

The sailing is very weather dependant due to the fact there is no pier on the island, you get transferred to a dingy and then you get brought to the shore by that. If the winds are blowing a certain way he won't sail but he will usually know this info at least the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Sounds interesting! (Actually had to look up where Saltees was :o) so would love to hear more as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I would be interested as well

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Add me onto the interested list for this one, date dependent obviously!

May 30th anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

I'd be interested! May 30th is fine by me....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

kensutz wrote: »
    May 30th anyone?
    I would love to go but afaik thats the bank holiday weekend and I have plans :(. If its not the bank holiday count me in!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ohhh sounds interesting

I suppose if we get names in by the 24th April, I'll go and find out about booking it.

Me and the GF can do the 30th :)
    Book us in

Updated the original post. Anyone else who's interested just let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

kensutz wrote: »
    Updated the original post. Anyone else who's interested just let me know.

do you need defo numbers, i wanna go but summit is telling me i have summit one that weekend.

I think we'll hit the 12 mark easily. I'm not 100% sure what will be the max allowed. If I get a chance I'll try and get in touch, but I'm up to my eyes until Sunday evening at the earliest.

Interested for sure, just need to check if we've nothing else coming up that weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I would be interested in this

This might be of interest: http://www.salteeislands.info/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I was there on one of the hottest days last year. It is a place not to be missed. The Gannet coloney is quite amazing and hopefully there will be plenty of Puffins around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Sound like it could be a goot trip and a good gang going. +1 of theres any room :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Me too - althought I am going to cover myself in sunblock this year, got absolutely roasted last year :mad:

2545912983_dc00173864.jpg?v=0

Arciphel wrote: »
    Me too - althought I am going to cover myself in sunblock this year, got absolutely roasted last year :mad:

I'd say there wasn't a seagulls chance in hell - but then again this is Ireland. I'd say bring enough to flog it for €50 a tub if the sun comes out - you'll make a mint. If it's cloudy sell it at bargin and count your lucky chickens you got a few bob back :D

Is this trip still going ahead?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Hope so.

Spoke to a colleague the other day. She went to the Saltees a couple of weeks ago. Had a lovely day there as the weather was perfect. Her husband whining about walking was the only downside (he is of the opinion that if it's worthwhile you can drive there)

It is €25 return for the boat.

Yep it's still going ahead. The day I rang I couldn't get in touch with the guy that runs the boat so I'll try again tomorrow or during next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Only came across this today. If it's not too late and space left I would be interested.

• Advertisement

xia wrote: »
    Only came across this today. If it's not too late and space left I would be interested.

My GF can't make it now, so you can take my +1

Thanks. Sorry to hear that you won't make it. You sounded very interested. But of course I am glad for myself. I would be on my own so at least space for one more unless there is a waiting list?

I think you misunderstood, I am going, my GF is not

Oups. You're right, I did misunderstand. :o So, see you then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Sorry, has May 30th actually been decided? If it is then I can't make it as
    I'm away for the whole of the following week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd love to go but i've the leaving cert four days later. I've been to great saltee several times. Its a fantastic place for landscapes and wildlife. Grey seals, dolphins and not to mention several thousand gannets. And watch out for red kites!

Make sure you visit the gannet coleny. Its a noise you will never forget but if you stay still for a while you can get some fantastic shots!

Wellies are a must. You are dropped at the bottom of the boat slip, which is full of slippy seaweed. A potential disaster if you have too much gear!

Come back with some nice photos!

• Advertisement

Has the 30th may been agreed yet and has anything been booked?

Is this going ahead or not?

It's looking like a weekend in June now. If anyone has a suggestion of a weekend during June let me know and I'll get it booked.

I'm still up for it any weekend really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If it could be either the 20th/21st or 27th/28th of June then I'd also be interested in coming along.

• Advertisement

I am still interested. Just won't have time on Saturday 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

If it's in the first 2 weekends in June (or any time in May) and there's space then sign me up :)

Any weekend in June suits Ken (so far) - but the earlier the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

This is a great place to go, I was there 4 times last year between May and July and was down there last weekend as I am preparing a nature panel for IPF distinctions
    Here is some images from last weekend
    3519376421_ca72a37ebf_m.jpg3529670694_d06a9369c9_m.jpg
    3529712946_db92371327_m.jpg3528945723_60b956d54f_m.jpg

Most of the puffins where out at sea feeding so we only had 6-8 puffins that were photographable.
    There was loads of other birds and the gannet colony has become larger
    Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If this is being reorganised, I'd be interested in any of the last 3 weekends in June. Can provide lifts there and back if anyone wants a space in a car (and isn't an axe murderer).

Other than getting in and out of the boat, how rough is the terrain (dodgy ankle)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

The terrain is not *that* bad. There are paths to most parts of interest. The only dodgy/dangerous part is if you want to get very close to the Gannets in the large Gannet colony. There is a bit of clambering for that. I'd wear as much support as I could footwear wise to be on the safe side though. Also full length trousers would be a must. I'd imagine you'd get stung quite badly with shorts.

DCC have a trip organised for 18th July. It is normally possible to make these a joint outing, as happened recently at the Dublin Zoo.

I'm still interested in going, It would be nice to see some DCC heads there again :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh wouldn't mind tagging along with the DCC trip perhaps :)

Joint trip with DCC wouldn't be too bad. Get to meet a few new heads. I simply don't have enough time with shooting every day this week except Friday to organise anything at the moment. Next week I'm in England shooting and then at the World Cup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement