Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saltees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

bovril wrote: »
    The terrain is not *that* bad. There are paths to most parts of interest. The only dodgy/dangerous part is if you want to get very close to the Gannets in the large Gannet colony. There is a bit of clambering for that. I'd wear as much support as I could footwear wise to be on the safe side though. Also full length trousers would be a must. I'd imagine you'd get stung quite badly with shorts.

Beware of seagulls. Seriously. I was attacked by a dive bombing Black Backed gull last year near the gannet colony and he deposited a large heap of smelly guano on me! They fly at you at great speed and can cause injury if they hit you in the head. Here is one of them:

2539733716_20acfb8468_o.jpg

I'm hoping to be out there again next Saturday and I'll be keeping a wary eye on those guys!

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

What's the story with this trip now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'm going to try and head down there some day during next week. I believe you only have a week or two before the Puffins are gone until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

i've seen Puffins there last year till the middle of July (16th to be precise)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

You'll see Puffins to mid-July but over the last 2 weeks they have been the most active and will be active til end of June before they start heading out to sea again

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Thinking about going either saturday or sunday with a couple of friends. Anyone else going?

bovril wrote: »
    Also full length trousers would be a must. I'd imagine you'd get stung quite badly with shorts.

Oh so correct!! I got stung all over my legs yesterday but I went off the beaten track a little bit, unintentionally I might add.

I'd say if you stick to the worn paths to the Gannets then you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The weather forecast looks quite good, I am interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I would be interested in going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

If anyone was popping by waterford i'd be interested :) was there last weekend but would love to go again...can only do saturday though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd be interested in Monday or Tuesday, maybe Saturday also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm possibly interested for this weekend, but have another few questions :)

Do we need to organise a boat in advance? If it's a regular boat, what time do we want to meet in Kilmore Quay (and is Kilmore Quay the actual departure point?)

Stick-dan, I couldn't really pick you up in Waterford, but if you wanted to get the bus to Wexford I could swing by and collect you from there. Usual caveats apply - you have to agree to listen to my choice in music, and not be an axe-murderer ;)

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm possibly interested for this weekend, but have another few questions :)

Do we need to organise a boat in advance? If it's a regular boat, what time do we want to meet in Kilmore Quay (and is Kilmore Quay the actual departure point?)

Stick-dan, I couldn't really pick you up in Waterford, but if you wanted to get the bus to Wexford I could swing by and collect you from there. Usual caveats apply - you have to agree to listen to my choice in music, and not be an axe-murderer ;)

You organise the boat by ringing some guy, his name escapes me now but i could get his number because a mate has it. It's a regular boat that sails at 10 and 11, possibly more times i'm not sure. The guy's brother actually bings people out on his boat too. You'd meet in kilmore quay about what, half an hour before hand. plenty of time.

Thoie, if we were going saturday, and i could get a bus early enough to wexford, i'd be up for that :)I'm not a proven axe murderer anyway. Anyways keep me informed:)

Saturday is good for me too. If somebody is going to contact the boatsman, please, count me in.
    And I might need a little more information about directions where to go, being myself in Wexford only four times and never in a port.

ThOnda wrote: »
    Saturday is good for me too. If somebody is going to contact the boatsman, please, count me in.
    And I might need a little more information about directions where to go, being myself in Wexford only four times and never in a port.

ThOnda, you're going to a small village called Kilmore Quay in Co. Wexford - not Wexford town itself. Google maps/sat nav should get you to Kilmore Quay, and after that I suspect it will be a case of "find water, look for boats". Maybe I'm underestimating the size of Kilmore Quay, but I don't think it's a large place :)

• Advertisement

If I go, I will be coming from cork so i guess i will go through waterford. No axe murderer, my music rules also apply in my car :)

Crispin wrote: »
    If I go, I will be coming from cork so i guess i will go through waterford. No axe murderer, my music rules also apply in my car :)

So is a it saturday or sunday then and has anyone rang to book the boat? Crispin cool, i'll grab a lift from you so if i'm going, i'm on the cork road and all :)

The guy who runs the boat is Declan Bates and his number is 087 2529736

Will we agree on collective ride, for example at 10:00 a.m.? Or shall we call independently?

Sorry for asking (only), but I am quite anxious, but dead busy at work.

My personal preference would be for 11am Saturday - purely on the basis that it gives me an extra hour in bed.

• Advertisement

My personal preference would be for 11am Saturday - purely on the basis that it gives me an extra hour in bed.

well i'd be up for that time too on saturday provided i can grab a lift off you or crispin :)

who's gonna take charge now and organise this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

you have to agree to listen to my choice in music
    Ha......if ye are in Wexford, ye will have to listen SE Radio & to 'Dancin at da cross-roads' :pac::p
    Fcek, I'd like to meet up with ye, but I'm busy as hell ! bugger, well.... have a good time ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Anybody mind if I join ye on Saturday? So how many people have we got who are definitely on for it, and how big's the boat!

Right Lads listen up i got the finger out and rang.

There ae 6 places left for the eleven o clock sailing, so if we want to book that we need to do it asap so could people please confirm that they will definitely be going. If we have more than 6 people we can go on the 12 sailing and come back on the 5 return.

So what is the story lads who is confirming?We should only press ahead if we have definite numbers.

Lads i'm off for dinner now, so if you have enquiries drop me a mail and we'll see what we can do. :)

whats the cost. i will confirm numbers tomorrow am! hopefully still be spaces. 12-5 is fine with me- its' like a 3 hour drive from my place anyway!

12-5 Saturday suits me perfectly too.

12-5 Saturday suits me perfectly too.

guys, maybe i should clarify we can only go on the 12 if we have 6 people minimum. crispin you still ok to bring me. So get your names in now,tomorrow at 1 is the last time we can confirm.

Yup, count me in for anytime on Saturday.

Hearvee wrote: »
    Crispin the cost is only 25 euro.
    Here's the list so far if we don't get 6 or more will we grab the 11 if its still free?

Hearvee
    Stick-dan *(provided crispin is gong as no lift and bus tmes are unhelpful)
    Thoie
    crispin *(possibly)

• Advertisement

Sorry, browser crashed while I was replying and has taken to resending the same response over and over and....

Yep, if there's enough room on the 11am for everyone who wants to go, otherwise we go with the 12.

I am going, count me in anytime that suits us. I prefer a little sooner time, but once I am there, who cares :)

Hearvee
    Stick-dan *(defo unless crispin isn't gong as no lift and bus tmes are unhelpful)
    Thoie
    crispin *(possibly)
    Thonda

will post more in the morning, can someone else volunteer to take over organising this if i cant go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

How long would it take to get from the outer part of South Dublin to Kilmore Quay by car?

I'm considering going on Saturday but it depends on how much driving I'd have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

About 2 hours to Kilmore Quay from Bray

I am driving from Tallaght, so I could offer three spaces in the car. I am going to do one short stop to pay for new toys, but that should not cause bigger delay than 20 minutes. I would suggest leaving Dublin at the time minus three hours. In the worst case, we could take few snaps in the harbour, to warm up :pac:

ThOnda wrote: »
    I am driving from Tallaght, so I could offer three spaces in the car. I am going to do one short stop to pay for new toys, but that should not cause bigger delay than 20 minutes. I would suggest leaving Dublin at the time minus three hours. In the worst case, we could take few snaps in the harbour, to warm up :pac:

What way are you coming down thonda, like route wise?

• Advertisement

Hearvee
    Stick-dan *(defo unless crispin isn't gong as no lift and bus tmes are unhelpful)
    Thoie
    crispin *(possibly)
    Thonda
    Rb *(Possibly)

***Right Lads, confirm by lunch time please will you. 1pm Deadline at the very latest.If you're not in by then you won't be counted.

I was thinking the shortest one - N7, M50, N11.

I amy call on your services to rob a lift in wexford, if that would be ok?

Rb wrote: »
    How long would it take to get from the outer part of South Dublin to Kilmore Quay by car?

I'm considering going on Saturday but it depends on how much driving I'd have to do!

Rb, if you're uncomfortable being the driver for a long period, I, like Thonda, will be heading down the M50/M11, so if you can get yourself somewhere near the motorway (park in Cherrywood, for example), you can hop in with me.

Edit: Caveat.. music... axes... yadda yadda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Would like to have gone but its a bit short notice for me.
    If I was going I would need to organise somewhere to stay. A 4 hour drive each way would be a bit much along with a day on the island.

Enjoy the day anyway folks.

I'll be driving from Stillorgan as well, so if anyone wants to hitch a lift I've no problem with that.

• Advertisement

Hearvee
    Thoie
    Thonda

you guys are all defo so i'm going to forward you all on his number for booking just in case noone else confirms in which case im out. I don't fancy waiting in wexford for 3 hours that morning.

Ok, will I make one phone call and book all three of us? Or one phone call each?

Let's wait till 1 as agreed will we? it's up to yourself, crispin said he would confirm this mornging some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I would be up for it if there is a space.

Sorry for not getting back to you lads been a mad day at work!
    looks like i'll have to work on saturday now :mad:
    gutted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement