Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Saltees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

That's fine crispin, right hearvee, maybe you could take over the booking then of this. i'll rule myself out, *(damn bus eireann).

Hope you enjoy the day lads, and will you post up the links to your images here for us all to see.Mine from last week are here.

http://pix.ie/danieljordan13/album/346551

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

stick-dan wrote: »
    That's fine crispin, right hearvee, maybe you could take over the booking then of this. i'll rule myself out, *(damn bus eireann).

Hope you enjoy the day lads, and will you post up the links to your images here for us all to see.Mine from last week are here.

http://pix.ie/danieljordan13/album/346551

yeh i'm sorry Dan. I will definitely try to get there soon. i hear the puffins disappear at the end of July so i might go on the 11th now because I am away next weekend but whenever I go i'll give you a shout and pick you up on the way :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

No chance you'd be in Carlow or Wexford Dan? I would be coming down that way.

It's actually the end of june i was told myself although people maintain you will find one or two still around the middle of july, with or without puffins its a lovely place to visit.

No problemo dude, we'll get to a meet at some stage :)

I think i could be i'll pm you.

has anyone booked this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Nope, but I'll be busy for the next hour or so, so if anyone is booking can you book for me too? I assume it's just a case of paying the lad with the boat in
    cash tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Hearvee
    Thoie
    Thonda
    Whyulittle

Is that who's going? And we're all going from Dublin direction and taking 4 cars?

I'm compiling a packing list. Other than camera gear (I'm not going to bother with a tripod 'cos I'm fierce lazy) I'm thinking sunscreen, water bottle, sandwich, sunglasses and a hat if I can find one. Should probably think about a jacket as well. What am I forgetting?

This may be another dumb question - is there a public toilet on the island?

Thoie wrote: »
    Hearvee
    Thoie
    Thonda
    Whyulittle

Is that who's going? And we're all going from Dublin direction and taking 4 cars?

I'm compiling a packing list. Other than camera gear (I'm not going to bother with a tripod 'cos I'm fierce lazy) I'm thinking sunscreen, water bottle, sandwich, sunglasses and a hat if I can find one. Should probably think about a jacket as well. What am I forgetting?

This may be another dumb question - is there a public toilet on the island?

Looks like it. Has anyone actually rung the boat yet?

I was going to suggest carpooling, but it looks like I'll be stopping off in Enniscorthy and/or Wicklow on the way back so don't think it'd work for me
    this time.

From previous comments on Boards it sounds like a clean set of clothes in
    the car in case the gulls attack!

Nope, waiting for final confirmations before ringing the boat.

And the hat was for the seagulls :) I was planning on having a change of clothes in the car anyway for the trip back, as I'm notorious for *ankle collapses - falls in water*. It's happened more than once :( And this is why I probably won't be doing the cliff walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hey guys, sorry I didn't post earlier, have been somewhat busy.

Won't make it tomorrow unfortunately!

Ok, 4 places booked for midday sailing (he was full for 11am). The directions are "Head to Kilmore Quay and it'll all be happening, you can't miss it" :)

For those looking for more precise directions - head to the Maritime Museum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I'll be there, possibly a little earlier. Having enough time, I might do some taxi services. I should be on-line next few hours if there is any interest.

Hearvee wrote: »

Part of me is going "Woohoo! Weather!"

The other part of me is already burning to a crisp and wilting in the heat. I apologise in advance for the unpleasant request, but I'm going to have to ask for help with suncream :) There's a theory that says I could just wear more clothes instead, but nah.

On the plus side, I can now stop my desperate search for a windcheater - can't find mine, so thought I was going to have to try shopping in the morning!

Well, I will have few layers on me, I don't fancy personal meeting with beaks... and bird sh;te.

ThOnda wrote: »
    Well, I will have few layers on me, I don't fancy personal meeting with beaks... and bird sh;te.

I'm wearing something long legged and probably a t-shirt/vesty yoke. I'll put a change of clothes in the car, and wear a headscarf. I'm going to bring a togs as well on the basis that if I get destroyed I can always go for a dip to wash off before heading home :) Tossing up between sandals and hiking boots. Hiking boots are the sensible option I suppose.

just make sure to bring the sun cream guys, myself and the girlfriend got absolutely burned to a cinder last week :( I'm still burnt after a week.

@thoie sandels are not the best idea on that terrain. Runners would be fine just someting that wont be slipping off your feet.

Dammit i wish i was heading now.:(

stick-dan wrote: »
    just make sure to bring the sun cream guys, myself and the girlfriend got absolutely burned to a cinder last week :( I'm still burnt after a week.

@thoie sandels are not the best idea on that terrain. Runners would be fine just someting that wont be slipping off your feet.

Dammit i wish i was heading now.:(

Factor 30 is already packed (but only because I've run out of factor 60 :o).
    Hiking boots it is then, thanks (though my sandals are "hiking sandals" if that makes sense).

Guano sandals ;)

That reminds me that I wanted to bring Guano Apes for the road...

Probably just as good we're not carpooling then :)

Just came back, 18 GB of memory card space was not enough, I had to delete approximately 250 files. And still full storage to be uploaded now :D
    Brilliant experience, really like shooting fish in a barrel.

Just came back, 18 GB of memory card space was not enough, I had to delete approximately 250 files. And still full storage to be uploaded now :D
    Brilliant experience, really like shooting fish in a barrel.

Am home, am dead. Thanks to ThOnda, Hearvee and Whyulittle for not murdering me with axes their company on a lovely day.

I have fewer photos, mainly because I didn't bring that much memory with me! And ThOnda, remember it was a nature reserve. I think they frown on shooting fish in barrels.

Downloading now.

Nice to meet you all, good day.

glad you all had a great day, sorry i bailed out maybe next time.

dont forget post your links up here guys and gals :)

Just home myself so will be leaving all downloading etc until morning!

Good to meet ye all yesterday, had a really enjoyable day.

First few pictures quickly processed are in new set on my Flickr. Picture is the link...

3665980671_c15e9a71d4.jpg

Thanks for sharing had i a flickr account i would have commented.

In a rush, but couldn't resist putting up a couple...

3667195885_c3536a7728.jpg

Did someone mention puffins?

3668105760_382d53f8b2.jpg

Puffin it is so.

E877E327EB1E4679986E84CCF82C0039.jpg

What, anybody wanted a puffin?

F0876544C5774DE2A97DF37018902E7C-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

No shortage of Puffins yesterday so I take it?

There may have been a few...

3668103832_6b6263419c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

hi all,

I'm heading down to Rosslare for the weekend and was thinking of visiting the Saltees. I gather May/June is a better time to be seeing wildlife, but can anyone tell me if there's still lots to see out there now? ...have I missed the Puffins?

Also, I found this mention of sea-kayaking trips for beginners out the islands here: http://chooseireland.com/county/wexford/saltee-islands/ (bottom of the page)

Anyone know anymore on this please? prices? difficulty?
    any info much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Can't help on the kayaking thing.
    But been to the Saltees on 18th and didn't see any Puffins. Some of us saw a few but I'd day it's too late in the year and they said, the Gannets leave around the 20th July.