Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating a shed

Options
  • 14-04-2009 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

I have a shed out my back garden and I am trying to insulate it. The method I had in mind was fiberglass insulation and then cover with plasterboard. Is this a good method? What would the thickness of the fiberglass need to be? The shed is 2.4m * 2.1m * 2.7m. Any advice would be appreciated, Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

For that size you may has well buy King Span backed Plaster boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Cheers for the reply, how much are we talking for the kingspan. I am trying to do this on the cheap

I couldnt tell you off the top of my head, cheapist place's we buy from Is Tenents on the Naas road.

Your not looking for many boards so it wouldnt be to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've insulated my shed / workshop with fibreglass insulation, but covered it with 3/8" plywood and not plasterboard. Easier to screw things onto, put nails / screws into etc. The shed was custom built, so the spacing between the vertical battens and the depth (i.e. thickness of battens) was kind of designed to take the insulation. If it's a ready made shed, that might not quite fit.

you do not need either plasterboard or plywood. just use heavy gauge polythene stapled/nailed to the joist. This will hold in the insulation and keep it dry also.

Oh thats sounds nice, do you know where you can get this heavy gauge polythene?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

TheBandit wrote: »
    Oh thats sounds nice, do you know where you can get this heavy gauge polythene?

Let us know how you get on with the polythene, I done this and it did not work to well. It might be just my situation. I ended up using the board and fibreglass as suggested above in my sisters. She is delighted with it.

The lads slep in it last summer! Says a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Personally I'd go with the 9 mm ply option. I built a conservatory like that - stapled polythene membrane to the battens and then fixed the ply over it. A dry lining exercise basically. The ply in 8 x 4 sheets was less fragile than plasterboard and was half the cost from a local builders providers. As a previous poster said, it had the great advantage that things could be fixed to it almost anywhere.

Just got some quotes there. I was askin for 30m sq.

Plywood 9mm - €218
    Plasterboard 9mm - €88
    Fiberglass 75mm - €63

So I’m thinkin plasterboard and fiberglass. I would prefer plywood but I’m not gonna pay 150 quid more for it. Would 75mm thickness be okay?
    150e + 20e for nails whatnot seems grand to me. What do ye reckon?

If ur not getting insulated plaster boards then get the 9mm boards with Foil on the back. It will help with condensation absorbing through the back of the boards.

Sorry to the question i'm about to ask. When you say absord condensation, do you mean the plasterboard. Is that what they are for, absorbing condensation? apart from being walls of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

Call it a dip****...oh wait, INSULATING??....nevermind

Sorry to the question i'm about to ask. When you say absord condensation, do you mean the plasterboard. Is that what they are for, absorbing condensation? apart from being walls of course :)

Its foil on the back of the board, it will help with the insulation, but with the foil on the back any mositer that builds up between the fiber glass and the board wont absorb into the board and turn it to mush over time.

You can get proper moister boards but they are expensive and not worth it in a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Are you trying to insulate the whole shed?(walls and ceiling/roof space)
    Also..is it of block construction????...a bit more detail be good
    Marty

I'm trying to insulate the whole shed. To keep the heat in. Hopefully there is some sound proofing side effects but i'm not too optamistic. Its concrete built with two doors(pretty thin, i'll have to insulate these as well) and no windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Just got some quotes there. I was askin for 30m sq.

Plywood 9mm - €218
    Plasterboard 9mm - €88
    Fiberglass 75mm - €63

So I’m thinkin plasterboard and fiberglass. I would prefer plywood but I’m not gonna pay 150 quid more for it. Would 75mm thickness be okay?
    150e + 20e for nails whatnot seems grand to me. What do ye reckon?

The last time I bought 9mm ply it cost me €15 for an 8 x 5 sheet, so on the price you have been quoted you could expect to buy 14 sheets.
    I'm trying to insulate the whole shed. To keep the heat in. Hopefully there is some sound proofing side effects but i'm not too optamistic. Its concrete built with two doors(pretty thin, i'll have to insulate these as well) and no windows.

If it's concrete then the sound proofing is not likely to be a major issue. Dry line it with battens and membrane and then ply over that and it will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

KLO in buy and sell. I bought 24 sheets of 2100x1200 plasterboard with 65mm insulation and 12 sheets of 25mm insulation all for €280 and put it on my shed, man ordered for one off house build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Try OSB (oriented strand board?)instead of plywood...be a good bit cheaper.
    Marty.

hargo wrote: »
    KLO in buy and sell. I bought 24 sheets of 2100x1200 plasterboard with 65mm insulation and 12 sheets of 25mm insulation all for €280 and put it on my shed, man ordered for one off house build.

That sounds pretty cheap. What is KLO in buy and sell though

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Keep a lookout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 amyloo

the only thin with all thease methods is they do not take condenstion into account.
    the best way would be frametherm insulation cost £80P per sq mtr at 75mm thick then put a breathable membrane over cost £15.00 for a 50mtr roll (2.4 wide by 21mtr long,then just board over with 8mm ply and you will have a warm breathable shed not one that will rot from the inside out

i build timber frame homes and have a large amount of left over membrane and insulation at our sites we normaly give this away to our sub cons or gen public but if you would like some then leave me a note and ill sort it out for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement