Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Comics to online businesses

Options
  • 14-04-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All,

i recentaly decided to sell up a good portion of my comic collection, including a massive lot of recent(ish) Xmen comics. basically all uncanny and x-men from may '97 to early 2005, including all the spin off from Opearation Zero Tolerance, The Twelve, Ages of Apoclopse.

I know some of the comic shops tke them, but i'll looking for a online retailer to take the lot off me. Anyone else doen this before? I'm not looking to e-bay, as it gets messy!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If your looking to sell to make some cash you might find it hard to shift any comics from after the mid 90's and esp any of the post 2000 stuff. All the zero tolerance, AOA etc stuff has been collected as trades so the value of the single issues is very low.

If your just selling to get rid of them you might consider donating them to a local library.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You'll be lucky to shift them for any significant amount of money. Not only are most of the more notable stories collected in trade but from the perspective of the collector/speculator market you'll only get significant cash for stuff from the '60s or earlier.

If you're looking to make a reasonable return on the sale, you'll need to spend a while trying to find a collector who'll buy them off you - it won't be quick or easy. If you're just looking to get rid of them, giving them away would be a hell of a lot faster and easier and even then it might not be that easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sammysteiger

giving to a local library sounds good, great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

so no one's sold their collection to a website then??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    so no one's sold their collection to a website then??

Nope my collection is taking up half my house :p

While in the past there have been cases of people selling large comic collections in one go for a decent chunk of change [prob most famous Kevin Smith selling his to help pay for filming Clerks] but since the big comics crash in the 90's, your not likely to to see that happening again [unless someone has a collection of pre 1960s comics taking up space and even then it would prob come down to single issues not a whole collection] Any mainstream comics printed post mid 90's have very little value as collector items, even alot of signed ones, even more so since Marvel and DC started really pushing trade collections of their major titles. Most online comic shops would most likely have ample of amounts of post 2000 comics so it would be hard to sell a whole collection to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Also...

Please be careful about some people online who want to buy the lot off you and will send a cheque, the cheque will be for twice the amount the comics are worth and they'll ask you to send the difference with the comics in cash...

This is a scam, I was about to sell my collection of Ultimate Spiderman to someone and something just didn't feel right, so I didn't and found out this is a common form scam...

Just be careful... donate them to a library... pass on the entertainment... That's what I did.
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jabbathehurt

I recently went through my attic in the hope of finding some sort of comic gold mine, how disappointed I was. Single issues are worth flip all I have all 6 original copies of Sin City that yellow bastard worth slightly more than I paid for them but not worth pating with. I have Wolverine issue #100 I read somewhere its worth a bit but when I checked on ebay it was $1.50! thats less than what I paid for it in the mid 90's!.

Advertisement