Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface for all-weather arena

Options
  • 14-04-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

I know there have been a few similar threads over the last while re. arena building, etc. but this one is slightly difference, hence the new thread!

I have an all-weather arena at home which currently has a woodchip surface. This has been great over the last number of years, but it has become a little soggy and heavy and is a bit too heavy to work in when it's been raining heavily, so it's time to replace it.

I replaced it a few years ago with more woodchip, but this time I'd like to try something different as I don't think the woodchip is best suited to what I want.

Basically the arena is multi-purpose - I use it mostly for slow cantering work to get the horses fit for racing (when the ground is too soft/hard to work in the fields) but also need a surface which will be suited for flatwork and schooling work for my showjumpers/show horses.

Everyone has their preferences as to what works best for them, so I said I'd ask for people's experiences with different types of surfaces and ask what you'd recommend.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

I can recommend the surface I'm using - a mix of lime-free sand (aka "Wexford sand"), with Klopf fibres from Martin Collins power-harrowed into the top two inches. The klopf is basically synthetic carpet fibres chopped up. Once mixed with the sand, it forms a sort of root system - rather than go down into the sand, the horses get a grip of the surface, which has a bit of bounce. I know some racing yards are using this mix on their gallops - I have it down on an outdoor arena, used mostly for dressage and some jumping with young stock. I've had it down about 3 years, and it's as good as the day it went down. The only thing is that weeds & grass seed well in it - but if you let horses into the arena every few days, they keep this down to a minimum. Like I said, I'd recommend it.
    HTH
    Chindato

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The crushed glass seems to drain very well. Lots of the racing men have it in their gallops now anyway. It was around €400 a lorry load last year, could be cheaper now.
    http://www.glassrecycling.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Visteks

Really, i can suggest you only that type of all-weather synthetic surfaces but i'm not really sure is it actual now or not for you...
    You can look it here: allweatherequestriansurface .com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Please don't drag up zombie threads just to pimp your website.

/Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement